Charge Electronic Devices Before you Travel

Nghthawke

The following is the alert we recevied from our travel agency:

Charge electronic devices before you travel: New security regulations for air travel

– August 22, 2014

Travellers are advised to ensure that any electronic devices they are travelling with are fully charged before travelling. Under new security regulations for travel to the U.S. and Europe, travellers may be required to turn on devices in the presence of airport security personnel and/or demonstrate the item’s functionality. Devices that cannot be powered on will not be permitted onboard aircraft and may have to be left behind. This includes mobile phones, tablets, e-readers, laptops, and so forth. Publically-accessible power outlets are minimal in airports, so charging on route is not a reliable option. For long journeys, travellers are advised to ration device power consumption or bring along extra batteries.

The US had these procedures in place years ago - after 9/11 - for any flight within the country or departing/entering the country. It continued for quite some time - back then phone charging stations were not available - I have noticed that there is much greater opportunity to charge in airports now - if you have time - and if there are outlets at your specific airport - for me it is not worth taking the chance that i may not have time or there are no outlets at my airport.

The US had these procedures in place years ago - after 9/11 - for any flight within the country or departing/entering the country. It continued for quite some time - back then phone charging stations were not available - I have noticed that there is much greater opportunity to charge in airports now - if you have time - and if there are outlets at your specific airport - for me it is not worth taking the chance that i may not have time or there are no outlets at my airport.

No, these are new, enhanced regulations. I'd hate someone to read your post and not take the necessary precautions. Here's an initial press release, and the TSA site has more detailed information:

http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/2014/07/06/enhanced-security-measures-certain-airports-overseas

Thanks for the link - I was just pointing out that this was a enhanced process in place previously - years ago - by the TSA - I travelled every week for business and had to power up my laptop and phone before I could board. That was discontinued after a time. Same thing as new enhanced process

Regardless, the important part is getting the message out that these enhanced rules are in effect.

I bring a generic cheapo 6 plug strip with me to the airports separate from my good travel charger (2 plugs, 2 USB's). While I sit and charge I use one outlet and I let fellow travelers use the other 5.

It is a nice thing to do for fellow travelers. I have had bidding wars when I had to board and others were still cooling their heels waiting on a flight. :eek:

No, these are new, enhanced regulations. I'd hate someone to read your post and not take the necessary precautions. Here's an initial press release, and the TSA site has more detailed information:

http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/2014/07/06/enhanced-security-measures-certain-airports-overseas

And there was a thread here on the HAL board about them when they were first brought in: TSA implementting enhanced Security at some overseas airoirts.