"all ashore that's going ashore"

W and W

I believe that if we're going on a "ship organized" excursion we all assemble in the theater and go off in groups when announced.

But if we're on an excursion booked through an external company, are there any rules and regulations or do we just get off when we want to ? :confused:

Would hate to get sent to the naughty room for breaking the disembark rules.

Thanks in advance for the advice. :)

W&W

Passengers with booked excursions are give priority when disembarking.

Incorrect. Sometimes at tender ports but definitely not regular ports when docked. I've been one of the first off many times, no RCL excursion for example at 8am while others are "assembling" at the theatre for their excursions at 8:30, 9, etc

The point is, ship's excursion groups assemble wherever on the ship they are told to assemble, and leave as a group. General disembarkation occurs when it occurs -- there will be an announcement. You needn't worry about breaking rules. You will be informed when and where you may disembark. A line may have already formed before the announcement is made, and there will undoubtedly be a wait involved, but general disembarkation will not interfere with excursion groups (nor vice versa.)

Incorrect. Sometimes at tender ports but definitely not regular ports when docked. I've been one of the first off many times, no RCL excursion for example at 8am while others are "assembling" at the theatre for their excursions at 8:30, 9, etc

I agree with this. I am frequently among the first 10 people off the ship when we are not tendering to shore. And I'm frequently off the ship before they even make the announcement (there is often a slight delay as the "all clear" message gets relayed to the right person to make the announcement). I generally am eager to go, so I watch the gangway process from the promenade deck or wherever I can see what's going on. Once they have the gangway pretty well set up and the little ropes and tents and a photographer starting to assemble, it's usually safe to proceed down to the gangway. By they time you are there, they are open for business. This is usually several minutes ahead of cruise line excursion groups.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

If you are on a ship's excursion, they will tell you when and where to meet....then you will go as a group.

If you have a private excursion, you will meet them OFF the ship at the time and place they tell you.

If you're docked...it's not an issue, simply walk off the ship when they open the doors. If you're tendered, then ship;'s excursions get 1st crack...then anyone can go....it doesn't take long, and your private guide KNOWS how this stuff works....they will wait a reasonable amount of time, knowing how long the tenders can take. No worries.

Many of the RC excursions that I have taken have met off the ship - usually at the end of the pier. There has been a RC employee or tour guide hired by them with a sign to gather under. Only once have we met in the theater - and that was quite a while ago.

Notice the OP is from the UK - I am referring primarily to Caribbean shore excursions - not sure which ship he is referring to, or which excursion.

How have we come to the point where people are so fearful of breaking rules.

That we now invent rules that we are afraid of breaking?

Doesn't anyone just go by plain common sense anymore?

Or does every situation possible have to have a rule or policy?

Many of the RC excursions that I have taken have met off the ship - usually at the end of the pier. There has been a RC employee or tour guide hired by them with a sign to gather under. Only once have we met in the theater - and that was quite a while ago.

Notice the OP is from the UK - I am referring primarily to Caribbean shore excursions - not sure which ship he is referring to, or which excursion.

All our excursion booked through RCI met off the ship in Caribbean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe that if we're going on a "ship organized" excursion we all assemble in the theater and go off in groups when announced.

But if we're on an excursion booked through an external company, are there any rules and regulations or do we just get off when we want to ? :confused:

Would hate to get sent to the naughty room for breaking the disembark rules.

Thanks in advance for the advice. :)

W&W

If your speaking about your Liberty Mediterranean cruise in Sept., you should have no problem getting off the ship when all is cleared, with the exception of Villefranche. You are tendered in this port and those passengers with ship excursions are first to board the tender and if there's any room left on the tender, then others can board.

Edit: Happy Anniversary!

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

If your speaking about your Liberty Mediterranean cruise in Sept., you should have no problem getting off the ship when all is cleared, with the exception of Villefranche. You are tendered in this port and those passengers with ship excursions are first to board the tender and if there's any room left on the tender, then others can board.

Edit: Happy Anniversary!

Thanks, and yes I'm talking about the Liberty cruise. We are on a RCI excursion for Pisa & Pompeii, but an external company for Rome. Villefranche isn't a problem as we're just going into town on our own.

matj2000: I used the term "rules" in it's loosest sense. I could have said "procedures" I guess.

It can be a little tricky to use "common sense" in an situation with which one has had no past experience. Most folks who ask this type of question simply want to get an idea of what to expect, a view of "how things are done," so as to feel at home and as stress free as possible in an unfamiliar situation. Answers also help with planning and time management.

No worries!

I think it's only proper to review the policies and rules before I answer your questions.