Heating Pads

joan081460

Hubby had injured his shoulder, and we brought a heating pad AND extension cord....no problem. You won't be able to USE it on the plane, but you can certainly pack it in your luggage!

It's not a problem on the ship at all.

Using it and being permitted to use it are two different things, in some cases. If one reads and follows the rules.........

I travel with an old-fashioned hot water bottle. They still sell them, at drug stores, and somewhere I found a travel one, which is about two-thirds the size of my home model. I love them. They're safer, and they come in handy for chest colds, aches and pains, and even stomach distress.

They are not allowed on most cruise ships.

Heating devices other than hair driers and curling irons will be confiscated as a hazard. The electrical system for the cabins is not designed to handle devices such as irons, heating pads, coffee makers etc.

Sail & Sapper, Please tell me where you are reading or receiving your info on heating pads?:confused:

I have a print version of "Know Before you go" for our Grand Voyage last year..

There is nothing in this booklet which addresses heating Pads.. On pg 13 of the "Know before you go booklet " under Electrical appliances: it states

"For safety reasons we respectively request you do not iron clothing in your stateroom" & goes on to describe the laundry rooms on Prinsendam,.. On line it also mentions not using Kettles or coffee pots .. The booklet goes on to state: "If more outlet space is needed Holland America will provide complimentary power strips"

Iron's & coffee makers have much higher voltage than heating pads.. No where in the booklet or on-line does it mention heating pads..

I asked our Steward if it was OK to use & he confirmed it was.. Mine also has an "autoshut off" . & has never been confiscated!

Also se Pg. 8 of the on-line Know before you go booklet:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/KBYG.pdf

Quote For safety reasons, travel irons, steamers, and electric water

heaters/kettles may not be used in your stateroom. You may

order hot water from our complimentary In-Room Dining

service 24 hours a day. Also, ironing facilities are available at

the self-service laundry rooms for your convenience on ships

except the ms Nieuw Amsterdam, ms Eurodam, ms Noordam,

ms Oosterdam, ms Westerdam and ms Zuiderdam. Full laundry

and valet services are available on all of our ships.]

Unquote/SIZE]

Edited by serendipity1499

Sail & Sapper, Please tell me where you are reading or receiving your info on heating pads?:confused:

I have a print version of "Know Before you go" for our Grand Voyage last year..

There is nothing in this booklet which addresses heating Pads.. On pg 13 of the "Know before you go booklet " under Electrical appliances: it states

"For safety reasons we respectively request you do not iron clothing in your stateroom" & goes on to describe the laundry rooms on Prinsendam,.. On line it also mentions not using Kettles or coffee pots .. The booklet goes on to state: "If more outlet space is needed Holland America will provide complimentary power strips"

Iron's & coffee makers have much higher voltage than heating pads.. No where in the booklet or on-line does it mention heating pads..

I asked our Steward if it was OK to use & he confirmed it was.. Mine also has an "autoshut off" . & has never been confiscated!

Also se Pg. 8 of the on-line Know before you go booklet:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/KBYG.pdf

Quote For safety reasons, travel irons, steamers, and electric water

heaters/kettles may not be used in your stateroom. You may

order hot water from our complimentary In-Room Dining

service 24 hours a day. Also, ironing facilities are available at

the self-service laundry rooms for your convenience on ships

except the ms Nieuw Amsterdam, ms Eurodam, ms Noordam,

ms Oosterdam, ms Westerdam and ms Zuiderdam. Full laundry

and valet services are available on all of our ships.]

Unquote/SIZE]

You are mistaking voltage and wattage. Everything that plugs into a 120v outlet uses 120 volts.

The goal of every cruise line is to not allow ANY item that has a heating element. Having said that, they know that there would be a revolt if they banned hair care appliances for women, so those are the exception. It is not the ship's wiring that cannot handle the irons and kettles (though some large wattage hair dryers will pop the breakers if several cabins are getting ready for dinner at the same time:p), it is the safety factor. Even items with "auto off" features fail (twenty years ago, Mr. Coffee almost went out of business because of the fires caused by defective auto-off switches in their coffee makers), and heating elements of any description (and the other poster is right about the number of fires caused by defective heating pads) are one of the major causes of home fires.

You are mistaking voltage and wattage. Everything that plugs into a 120v outlet uses 120 volts.

The goal of every cruise line is to not allow ANY item that has a heating element. Having said that, they know that there would be a revolt if they banned hair care appliances for women, so those are the exception. It is not the ship's wiring that cannot handle the irons and kettles (though some large wattage hair dryers will pop the breakers if several cabins are getting ready for dinner at the same time:p), it is the safety factor. Even items with "auto off" features fail (twenty years ago, Mr. Coffee almost went out of business because of the fires caused by defective auto-off switches in their coffee makers), and heating elements of any description (and the other poster is right about the number of fires caused by defective heating pads) are one of the major causes of home fires.

Yes sorry, DH keeps telling me that it's wattage not voltage..I always get the two mixed up..And I agree with you that defective heating pads can cause fires, but it's not one the major causes of house fires in our town...The major cause of house fires in our neck of the woods is faulty heat/air systems, faulty home wiring, lightning & people smoking in bed..

The last time the FDA/CPSC recalled heating pads were the ones sold in drugstores in 2007-2008 etc..They were the Homedics ones..The ones that caused fires did not have auto shut off...Homedics voluntarily recalled all their Heating pads, even the ones with auto shut off..Don't know if they are still sold..

My heating pad has an auto shut-off & I only use it when I'm awake.. Would never sleep on it.. It's checked constantly to be sure there are no cracks or breaks in the wiring..It also has three temp. controlled heat settingts, so it can't get overly hot.. It was an expensive one.. Many of the heating pads sold years ago were not a good as this one is & did cause fires...

If HAL did not want me to use it, when I asked they would have said No. & it should be in writing! I'm very careful about this type of thing as DH once was a volunteer fireman & will always check appliances in our home..We keep our toaster unplugged & DH will unplug my electric can opener, even though I don't understand why..He unplugs all the TV's when we travel.. Even the Kurig coffee pot is unplugged every night..

My curling Iron is much more dangerous than my heating pad...That also has an auto shut off & when not used for certain amount of time will shut down.. IMO A curling Iron & electric hair rollers are even more of a fire hazard than my heating pad, & don't get me started on smokers who toss lit cigs overboard..:mad::eek:

Edited by serendipity1499

Try Thermacare Relief pads. They work well and are portable - no power required.

I second this! I've used these on previous cruises. They allow you to be mobile around the ship and not stuck in your cabin attached to the wall outlet via the heating pad. They come in a variety of shapes.

Try Thermacare Relief pads. They work well and are portable - no power required.

The only thing I wonder about these is whether or not you can pack them in your luggage. I know they work using an iron compound that oxidizes in contact with air, but I am worried about the iron compound in both airport and port security luggage scanners.

The only thing I wonder about these is whether or not you can pack them in your luggage. I know they work using an iron compound that oxidizes in contact with air, but I am worried about the iron compound in both airport and port security luggage scanners.

Yes, you can pack them. I'm not sure about carry on though. I've been told that they are subject to the 3-1-1 rule, like liquids, but I can't testify to that. I've only ever had them in checked baggage.

Yes, you can pack them. I'm not sure about carry on though. I've been told that they are subject to the 3-1-1 rule, like liquids, but I can't testify to that. I've only ever had them in checked baggage.

Wouldn't they go into the 'additional amount permitted' category as they are medical? They would have to be kept separate from the 3-1-1.

Wouldn't they go into the 'additional amount permitted' category as they are medical? They would have to be kept separate from the 3-1-1.

That's what I would have thought, but on FlyerTalk people said that they were subject to the liquids rule. The ones I used had little ceramic discs in them. The disks were impregnated with the chemicals that reacted with air when opened.

I still don't know if that's a definitive answer, but FlyerTalk has more frequent flyers than CC does, so I figured they would know.