Looking to transit Panama Canal in 2015

Vacationdreamer<><

And noticed that NCL offers quite a few opportunities to do this next spring.

DH and I have six children who would be ages 14, 12, 10, 8 (or 9 depending on cruise date), 4, and 2.

We have only cruised as a family on DCL and I am doing a Princess cruise in Nov with my BFF.

Can those of you who have done an NCL Panama Canal tell me what is great and/or not so great on these cruises? Would there be plenty to do on sea days?

I like that the NCL WBPC and EBPC have more ports compared to DCL. I also like the price much better. But I am concerned that we will not have as much to keep the kids engaged. My kids are quite active, but do enjoy swimming and movies.

We are not super foodies. We like to try new things, but aren't high maintenance. How does the whole freestyle dining thing work? Does it get old after two weeks?

Does NCL offer drink packages? Do you feel like you have to expend a LOT of extra money to stay active?

I appreciate anyone chiming in, or helping me with the search feature.

Thank you!!

Which ship are you considering? You should be able to get an idea as to the entertainment or activities geared for your particular kids ages depending on what the ship offers.

The only downside with this type of vacation (the itinerary and the time of year coupled with the length of the cruise) is that it will attract an older crowd. So there might not be too many of your children's peers onboard.

But that's not to say that they won't enjoy it!

We did this cruise (17 days) and I have to admit that I was ready to disembark by the time we reached San Francisco....but that's just me:-)

Edited by Samstress

The Jewel, The Pearl, The Sun and The Star will all be doing Panama Cruises in 2015. The Jewel will leave from Galveston, Texas to LA. The Pearl and The Sun will be leaving from Miami. The Star will be going back and forth from Miami to LA. Keep in mind that these cruises last anywhere from 14 to 20 +days. Most of the cruises sell out and do appeal to those that have the time. All of the cruises would be during the school year if that makes a difference. I have done the cruise twice once in each direction and much prefer going from LA to Miami because it puts the Canal toward the end of the cruise rather than the beginning.

And noticed that NCL offers quite a few opportunities to do this next spring.

DH and I have six children who would be ages 14' date=' 12, 10, 8 (or 9 depending on cruise date), 4, and 2.

We have only cruised as a family on DCL and I am doing a Princess cruise in Nov with my BFF.

Can those of you who have done an NCL Panama Canal tell me what is great and/or not so great on these cruises? Would there be plenty to do on sea days?

I like that the NCL WBPC and EBPC have more ports compared to DCL. I also like the price much better. But I am concerned that we will not have as much to keep the kids engaged. My kids are quite active, but do enjoy swimming and movies.

We are not super foodies. We like to try new things, but aren't high maintenance. How does the whole freestyle dining thing work? Does it get old after two weeks?

Does NCL offer drink packages? Do you feel like you have to expend a LOT of extra money to stay active?

I appreciate anyone chiming in, or helping me with the search feature.

Thank you!![/quote']

Keep in mind that the children's program on NCL will not take a child unless he/she is already 3 years of age when they sail. NCL also does not provide babysitting for them as well.

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

Thanks for so much info!

The Jewel, The Pearl, The Sun and The Star will all be doing Panama Cruises in 2015. The Jewel will leave from Galveston, Texas to LA. The Pearl and The Sun will be leaving from Miami. The Star will be going back and forth from Miami to LA. Keep in mind that these cruises last anywhere from 14 to 20 +days. Most of the cruises sell out and do appeal to those that have the time. All of the cruises would be during the school year if that makes a difference. I have done the cruise twice once in each direction and much prefer going from LA to Miami because it puts the Canal toward the end of the cruise rather than the beginning.

This part about them selling out is good to know! DCL historically offers lovely *GT rates close to cruising PC & I was guessing other lines may also have trouble filling ships due to the length of the cruise. I'll keep this in mind.

Also, as homeschoolers, we prefer to travel when school is in session. These spring dates are lovely.

I love the point you make about EB vs WB. Is it equally as easy or difficult on the internal clock going either direction?

Keep in mind that the children's program on NCL will not take a child unless he/she is already 3 years of age when they sail. NCL also does not provide babysitting for them as well.

Harriet

Thank you for stating this, as well. We do not normally leave our young children with anyone but may have entertained the thought for a long cruise. I do believe I read that an area for parents to play with 0-3 y o's is available, though. Is this only in certain vessels?

Thank you for all this info. I love CC!

<><

We did this cruise (17 days) and I have to admit that I was ready to disembark by the time we reached San Francisco....but that's just me:-)

My friend and her family did 14 days Hawaii out of CA last year. She said they were ready to swim home by day 11. They were on Princess. :)

You are in excellent company.

<><

I really did not notice any difference internal clock wise with either cruise. When there is time change a notice will be put on your bed as to the change and whether is forward ( east to west) or backwards (west to east). The Panama Canal just celebrated the 100th Anniversary of he first ship to cross through the completed Canal on the 15th of August. There is an excellent history written about the Canal:David McCullough's " The Path Between The Seas", The Creation of the Panama Canal 1870-1914.

Just curious, where in Western New York do live? My Dad was born near Skaneateles.

Mandy

I really did not notice any difference internal clock wise with either cruise. When there is time change a notice will be put on your bed as to the change and whether is forward ( east to west) or backwards (west to east). The Panama Canal just celebrated the 100th Anniversary of he first ship to cross through the completed Canal on the 15th of August. There is an excellent history written about the Canal:David McCullough's " The Path Between The Seas", The Creation of the Panama Canal 1870-1914.

Just curious, where in Western New York do live? My Dad was born near Skaneateles.

Mandy

The history of the canal just delights me. Watched a video on it a few years ago and was mesmerized. I'll get that book to read on my upcoming cruise!!! I so hope to make a transit next year!!!

We are west of your dad, but east of Rochester. :)

<><

I would think that freestyle dining would be most preferable for a 2 week cruise. Traditional dining would get old...real fast.

Hadn't thought of it that way! I was just thinking after two weeks of "Where shall we eat...?"

But yes. I suppose same seats, every day... :P. I forget rotational dining isn't what would happen!!!! Thank you!!!!!

<><

Vacationdreamer; I know you wish to sail in 2015. Here's another option to consider: the NCL Pearl will be offering several 10 or 11-day "partial" PC transits out of Miami the latter part of 2015 (Oct. thru Dec.) and also March/April of 2016. Just mentioning this in case you did not want to bring the children on a 15 day (or longer) sailing.

In any event, do try to read "Path Between the Seas" before you sail. It is a great book. We purchased it just before our PC cruise several years ago.

Enjoy your cruise!

Vacationdreamer; I know you wish to sail in 2015. Here's another option to consider: the NCL Pearl will be offering several 10 or 11-day "partial" PC transits out of Miami the latter part of 2015 (Oct. thru Dec.) and also March/April of 2016. Just mentioning this in case you did not want to bring the children on a 15 day (or longer) sailing.

In any event' date=' do try to read "Path Between the Seas" before you sail. It is a great book. We purchased it just before our PC cruise several years ago.

Enjoy your cruise![/quote']

I DID see these & saw that Princess does these also. We certainly would consider them, but confess I really want to put my feet in the Pacific Ocean (and would do so on a port day). Thank you for your suggestion.

I'm requesting the book tonight! :)

<><

My wife and I did the EB out of LA. We were on the Pearl for 14 days, and it was one of our most memorable cruises. My wife had been reluctant to go to Mexico, and south, but she loved it.

As homeschoolers, this cruise would be great, lots of history to cover, from beginning to end (especially Cartagena, and the Canal). I wish we could have been able to do it when we schooled our kids.

Personally, if you go, go on the Pearl....beautiful ship, and freestyle is the way to go!:D

The Jewel, The Pearl, The Sun and The Star will all be doing Panama Cruises in 2015. The Jewel will leave from Galveston, Texas to LA. The Pearl and The Sun will be leaving from Miami.

The Sun goes from Tampa, the 19 day cruise all the way to western Canada is very cheap right now.

In any event' date=' do try to read "Path Between the Seas" before you sail. It is a great book. We purchased it just before our PC cruise several years ago.

Enjoy your cruise![/quote']

I certainly second the book recommend. A must read before cruising the PC. I see Amazon has it in Kindle version right now for about $4.

I've been on the Sun, Pearl, and Star. I think the Pearl would be a great ship to go on although the Sun was also very nice and is the least expensive right now. The other guests on any PC cruise will tend to be an older crowd. We were on a 16 night TA cruise and there were less than 10 children on a ship of over 3,000 people. I believe the children's programs were minimal or maybe even non-existent. There are likely staffing minimums for children's programming.

We have done the PC cruise three times - twice on the Jewel, once on the Pearl - because we found we love the longer cruises. We like the mix of port days and days at sea. We chose WB because of the time changes, love those extra hours of sleep. This last April we were on the Jewel and the Kids' Program was in operation. I went by to see what it was like as our grandson will be with us on our next cruise. The kids were preparing for a circus performance using stilts and some easy gymnastics. I doubt that the ship would cancel the children's program because of low numbers, and I think the kids would get more attention with lower numbers.