Dinning with others

jenn6743

Please help me... My husband and I cruise often but have either traveled with family or requested a table for two. The one time we did not have a table for two we were on the Allure of the Seas with Royal, and IT WAS A NIGHTMARE to say the least!!!! On paper we would have been matched with the people they sat us with. It was a couple about our age and from the same city. They fought the whole dinner, talk about each others parents awful, and generally was not nice. Then made my husband and I feel uncomfortable about our food choices. We did not go back to the MDR we choose to eat at the speciality rest. for the rest of the cruise. Has anyone else experience anything like this? And if so what did you do? We sail on the Breeze next month...

Please help me... My husband and I cruise often but have either traveled with family or requested a table for two. The one time we did not have a table for two we were on the Allure of the Seas with Royal, and IT WAS A NIGHTMARE to say the least!!!! On paper we would have been matched with the people they sat us with. It was a couple about our age and from the same city. They fought the whole dinner, talk about each others parents awful, and generally was not nice. Then made my husband and I feel uncomfortable about our food choices. We did not go back to the MDR we choose to eat at the speciality rest. for the rest of the cruise. Has anyone else experience anything like this? And if so what did you do? We sail on the Breeze next month...

Sounds some what similar to an experience we had - and the last time! We were seated with an Asian couple that spoke broken English. The woman asked "how you get here?" I asked her what did she mean "how we get here?" She said "how you pay for trip?" Being the smart a$$ I said "we're janitors and we collect aluminum cans throughout the year to pay for this trip." She sat there with her jaw dropped and I thought DH was going to split his pants from laughing so hard. I got up and went to the maitre'd and asked to be moved, that this was not going to work out. He sat us at a table with 3 other couples. It was bearable, but after that we always asked for a table for 2.

DH and I enjoy meeting new people several cruises ago, we met a couple from Holland, they had both survived concentration camps in Germany. They knew each other as children before the war, met up after the war (when they were adults) and were celebrating 50 some odd years together. What an experience, and what a treasure and pleasure to meet them.

But we also enjoy have the option to dine at the time we want, so we choose ATD, state we will be seated with other people, and go with the flow. Thinking back on your bad expereinces, you know how not to be, think of it as a way to be truly grateful for each other. It's not for life, just a meal.

A few years back we were seated with a family from Puerto Rico, the woman spoke english, her daughter and son in law spoke english, but the hubby did not. For a week we dined, and they all translated for him. The last day on the ship, he came over, said goodbye and how nice it was to meet us, in english. I said I thought you didn't speak english, and he said he did, he just didn't like to. What an a$s, you live here, speak english, but to each his own, just thought he was a jerk.

I will sit with other people, I like learning new things, and about new places, and getting different views of life, and sometimes, by meeting new people I realize how GREAT my life can be (even though I think it has really rough edges sometimes)

I WISH my nightmares were about who my tablemates were (mine usually involve getting run over by a train or truck, or getting stabbed). You just simply need to walk over to the Matre'd and ask for a new table assignment. No need to forgo the MDR simply because of bad tablemates and definitely no need to have a nightmare over it.

When I took my second cruise..still in early 30's, I got seated with a group of single senior citizens. I spoke to maitre d' and then got a great mixed single and couple table.

I had my own choice and ate with and alone on my last cruise.

My cruises have been better with a set table and the group being ok or great.

Asking to change has minor discomfort..and the older people understood more than some other groups I suppose..but some folks will just be nasty anyway. Now at cough, cough..almost senior cit. age myself..I still think most of the time I enjoy the mix. If a couple..I can see it both ways too. I do think our society has to work more on social graces and enjoying mixed company. Don't get me wrong..I love more options and will enjoy them solo or with on the different lines...but..there are so many sweet people out there enjoying a peak experience..travel and leisure and they really enjoy it and they are at their best...the best times in life..and the risks to get a table that fits meeting new people once in awhile can bring surprises to even the most jaded person..I have seen it happen at my solo mixed tables....Sarah

Edited by sjn911

DH and I enjoy meeting new people several cruises ago, we met a couple from Holland, they had both survived concentration camps in Germany. They knew each other as children before the war, met up after the war (when they were adults) and were celebrating 50 some odd years together. What an experience, and what a treasure and pleasure to meet them.

This is very special. My first Carnival Paradise cruise was a couple of neighbor friends like this before the war...connecting for first time for a 2 week time since the war at her place in California..both surviving concentration camps and taking this 4 day cruise as part of the visit. A man and a woman but platonic relationship. He was visiting her from Europe and she had moved to states long ago. They joined our ever changing table of 10 or 12 one of the nights. There was a core of people and newbies every night..this was my second best set dining cruise...

Edited by sjn911

Never had a problem. In fact, in almost all instances, that have all become lifelong friends.

But if I had tablemates I didn't like, I would ask the MD to move me.

I concur with those who say they have never had that happen, but if we did we would request to be moved.

While on our first several cruises, we were fortunate to be seated with very compatible and interesting people, we had a similar experience on one sailing. As with you, we chose to eat in the buffet or specialty restaurant after that, but in hindsight, we should have simply asked to be seated at a different table. Since then, we've chosen any time/your time dining and either requested a table for two, or asked to be seated with interesting people that we had met on the cruise. Works for us...

So far, I've been on 28 cruises, and only once have I had to ask to be moved to another table. That once, it was because we were seated at a table for 6, and the other 2 couples did not speak any English. The Matre'D happily moved us, and we enjoyed all the rest of our meals. We usually get along great with our table mates, and I always request a large table. Saying this, our cruise on Oasis, we got our table for 8, and for the first 6 nights my husband and I ate all alone. No one else assigned our table showed up. The entire week. That was a real downer for us. Our waitress, and her assistant were terrific, and tried to make us comfortable. Each night, the Matre'D promised to find us some other people, and finally the last night, 5 others showed up. We had a great time that night. Wish they had been there all week.

Just came back yesterday and initially had the same situation. I was traveling solo and was assigned a table of 10. I stuck it out 2 nights and when I knew it was only going to get worse, I changed to MyTimeDining (I'd never done it) and sat with another person doing the same. We had met and got along so did a table for 2 the rest of the cruise. Worked out great in the long run.

Don't be miserable..change if you aren't happy!

I'm now hooked on MyTimeDining and don't think I'll ever do it differently!

We had the "pleasure" of being seated with two elderly couples that were masters at talking with their mouths stuffed with food. We enjoyed hearing about their latest surgeries, aches and pains. We learned which restaurants had the best early bird specials in Clearwater, FL. No time to speak. We just listened.

I knew that the dreaded pictures of grandkids were coming, so I was ready:

"We have five wonderful grandchildren." She reached for her purse and said "Would you like to see some pictures?"

Me: "Uh...no. The light is bad in here."

"Oh, but look. Aren't they darlings?"

"I dunno. It's too..."

"Here! Look closer!"

"Maybe after dinner."

The proud grandma's face turned to a condescending scowl.

"What's wrong? Don't you have grandchildren?"

I dropped my head then looked sadly at my wife. She looked away. A pregnant pause followed.

I took in a deep breath and responded, "No. They died in the flood of '94."

My wonderful wife of 32 years, knowing all too well that I am a practical joker and all around BS artist, hid her face and did her best not to burst out laughing. They thought she was crying. (We don't have grandchildren.)

Granny reached out to comfort me in my time of pain and suffering. "I'm so-o-o sorry."

"You couldn't have known. Please excuse me. I'm not very good company. Enjoy the rest of your dinner." I turned to my wife and said, "Honey I'm going back to our cabin."

We left Blu and went to the Martini Bar, laughing our heads off.

When we returned to Blu the following night, we were seated at a table for two. Works every time.

This is my first post. Have got a good chuckle from the posts on this topic. Thought I would share my experience. It was a few years go on a Holland America Caribbean cruise.

We do anytime dining and have met wonderful people and had enjoyable evenings. This situation occurred on a formal evening. We were seated with another couple at a table for 4. The evening was going along quite fine when the woman started to tell me I was not appropriately dressed??? She became quite specific in her comments. Now "formal" dress is very subjective but there is absolutely no way I was inappropriately dressed. For the record her husband was in a tux and she was in a "severe" suit.

Well, it was all I could do to hold my tongue, but rather than debate the matter with her, my husband and I left the table before coffee was served. I have a lot of self confidence about how I dress, so I found the whole experience very funny. When I got home, I went into the ladies shop where I bought the outfit and we all had a good laugh.

Cruising is all about meeting different people and collecting experiences and stories. Yes, she was definitely different and rude.

Lately my husband and I have been doing ATD mainly because I like the freedom to pick and choose what time I feel like having dinner. However, in the past when we've had assigned seating we've normally had a very nice experience. I think the best was one time when we were seated with another couple at a 4 top and they had friends at a 4 top next to us. They only spoke Spanish and my Spanish is very "un paquito" but we had a great time. We used various hand gestures and very little Spanish to communicate. We all got along so well that on occasion one of the couples from the other table would switch with the couple at our table and the last night when it was time to leave we all were giving hugs all around. :)

We had the "pleasure" of being seated with two elderly couples that were masters at talking with their mouths stuffed with food. We enjoyed hearing about their latest surgeries, aches and pains. We learned which restaurants had the best early bird specials in Clearwater, FL. No time to speak. We just listened.

I knew that the dreaded pictures of grandkids were coming, so I was ready:

"We have five wonderful grandchildren." She reached for her purse and said "Would you like to see some pictures?"

Me: "Uh...no. The light is bad in here."

"Oh, but look. Aren't they darlings?"

"I dunno. It's too..."

"Here! Look closer!"

"Maybe after dinner."

The proud grandma's face turned to a condescending scowl.

"What's wrong? Don't you have grandchildren?"

I dropped my head then looked sadly at my wife. She looked away. A pregnant pause followed.

I took in a deep breath and responded, "No. They died in the flood of '94."

My wonderful wife of 32 years, knowing all too well that I am a practical joker and all around BS artist, hid her face and did her best not to burst out laughing. They thought she was crying. (We don't have grandchildren.)

Granny reached out to comfort me in my time of pain and suffering. "I'm so-o-o sorry."

"You couldn't have known. Please excuse me. I'm not very good company. Enjoy the rest of your dinner." I turned to my wife and said, "Honey I'm going back to our cabin."

We left Blu and went to the Martini Bar, laughing our heads off.

When we returned to Blu the following night, we were seated at a table for two. Works every time.

I am laughing so hard right now as it brought to mind the past weeks dinner on night one.

Person #1 asks person #2 where they are from and they respond and it goes around with everyone saying their names and where they are from. I really can't think of a more normal question when you don't know someone on a cruise. We get to person #7 who was by herself (out of a table for 10) and she asks why people always need to know where the other is from and what their name is and she is so bored with the same talk at dinner on cruises, blah, blah. She went on and on and the other guests were rolling their eyes and looking around. I was getting impatient.

I said, "it's OK if you don't want to tell us your name and where you are from. Maybe you'd like to know what size underwear we all wear." Everyone laughed and the person next to me knew I was joking and trying to get her to "lighten up" but she never did. She ordered a salad and a piece of cake that she wanted served together and after a bite of salad she said, "bye, going now" , took her two plates and got up and left. Thankfully, I never saw her again.

We've been happily doing ATD for a few years now. The last cruise where we did traditional dining definitely sent us running to ATD. Table for 6. One couple was from the Dominican Republic. She didn't speak English, but her husband spoke English fluently and basically talked about himself, his education, job, wonderful self, problems with the US, etc. The other couple came to dinner late and intoxicated most nights and fought with each other throughout the cruise. Fought like verge of divorce, ugly, ugly fighting. Very uncomfortable and pretty much sealed it that we would never do traditional dining again.

I like YTD the best, yes even when I cruise solo:) But if I ever find myself stuck with early or late fixed time dining with a bad match of tablemates, I will just ask the Maitre'd to move me after the first dinner. I have only once had a less than stellar experience with fixed time dining, and "they" were the ones to move, so we did not have do anything. But the maitre'd can be of help to you in this situation.

On my first cruise I was nervous about dining with people I didn't know. Now after 14 cruises it is one of the most enjoyable parts of the cruise. I have been lucky and have never been seated with someone that was "off the wall". If that ever happens I will ask for a new table assignment. I prefer to be seated at a big table. A table for two is ok....but I sit at a table for two every night at home. It is fun to mix it up with people and some we have stayed in touch with and have met up with again cruising. It is good for you to get out of that "comfort zone". Everyone is on that cruise to have a good time....and if you meet up with someone that is not....asked to be moved. Happy cruising.