Buying Someone Else a Cruise

How would I go about buying a cruise for another person? My mom has always talked about traveling and trying cruising but has never done it. I've heard about next cruise certificates but don't know how they work, if you buy them for yourself or someone else. I also know there are RCI gift certificates but not sure if that's the way to go. I could just pick her a cruise and book it but I'm not sure what to book since she's not sure where she wants to go. Is there anything like buying an open booking? Any thoughts? I need your collective wisdom guys!

Thanks in advance! :)

How would I go about buying a cruise for another person? My mom has always talked about traveling and trying cruising but has never done it. I've heard about next cruise certificates but don't know how they work, if you buy them for yourself or someone else.

You can only buy next cruise certificates on board.

You might consider just finding a good travel agent, have your mom figure out what cruise she wants to book, and then when she's ready, you can call the TA and pay for it.

Did you want to surprise her? If you're booking something far enough out you can cancel/change the reservation without a penalty before a certain date, so if you want you could pick something you think she would like in your price range, but tell her you won't be offended if she switches?

have your mom figure out what cruise she wants to book, and then when she's ready, you can call the TA and pay for it.

This or just call RCI and book directly.

I'm taking my Mom on NCL Epic and I just booked it online with her info and my CC.

All you need to do is have enough details to purchase the cruise through a ta or royal really easy

You don't have to go but you need to allocate somebody as chief contact but give your email etc with her name so she doesn't find out

Lucky her

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can only buy next cruise certificates on board.

You might consider just finding a good travel agent, have your mom figure out what cruise she wants to book, and then when she's ready, you can call the TA and pay for it.

Great advice. My wife's parents will be taking their fourth gift cruise in February.

We find out where and when they want to cruise then set it up with our TA.

All reservations or invoices they get DO NOT show the prices.

ALWAYS GET TRAVEL INSURANCE..

bosco

Edited by boscobeans

Great advice. My wife's parents will be taking their fourth gift cruise in February.

We find out where and when they want to cruise then set it up with our TA.

All reservations or invoices they get DO NOT show the prices.

ALWAYS GET TRAVEL INSURANCE..

bosco

That settles it. I'm disowning the kids. Can I adopt you? I make great cookies.

Why don't you just book a cruise for you and simply take your mom with you? That is what I always do with my parents. I book and then tell them they are coming... usually as a Christmas present. My parents couldn't care less where the cruise is going to. For them it is all about spending time with family doing something that we all love. I'm sure your mom would love to spend a week with you on a cruise ship.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Royal has a program to purchase gift cruises. I think this used to be a corporate/TA only program, but earlier this year they released it to the general public(Unfortunately, their website is on vacation again, so I can't find the link). You pick the type of cruise (length, itinerary, cabin type, etc.) and purchase that combo, and the person you gift the cruise to then selects the ship, date, etc. I believe they can upgrade the cabin if they pay the difference.

Edited to add: Found it :)

http://www.royalcaribbeanincentives.com/docs/rccl-pdfs/rir-direct-price-chart.pdf

Edited by orville99

My sis and I are planning to do the same for my mom's 80th birthday next year. The cruise will be to Alaska as she can't fly for health reasons and we live in BC. My TA has given me the form to fill out for medical ins so we know how much that will be as well. We also need to g renew her passport this year so we can get the new number then. Now we just have to figure out what cruise line as we have sailed NCL HAL and Celebrity .

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

We did this with HAL for my mother in law.

She doesn't use the computer, so I created an account for her that goes to my email address. Found out where she wanted to go and when would be a good time. Realized that we're not going to send her off on her own, and at that time didn't think it would be a good idea for me and DS to go with her, so we found a friend of hers who has sailed HAL before. I figured there would be a single supplement so we just offered up the cruise to the friend, though the friend paid gratuities for them (friend was also supposed to pay for her own port fees but she ended up totally ignoring that, and after MIL's negative experience with the friend onboard I have no interest in seeing that person again, not even to ask for the $200+).

Booked the cruise online though did call a few times to make sure I was doing it right, bought HAL's fancy insurance, etc. Everything came to me, they were able to communicate with me because HAL has a section to input the name of the person arranging the travel, and that went smoothly.

Thanks for the tips everyone! I asked my mom what her dream vacation is and she said to visit me. How sweet and cheesy is that?! :p So after some contemplation I called her and asked her to come with me on the cruise I already have booked for May. That way we can spend time together and neither of us have to stress about where she wants to go. She's reluctant to say yes and wants to think about it a few days. I'm tempted to just add her to the booking but don't want to drag her on a vacation she will hate so I'm going to give her time to decide. If she says no then I'll have to find a travel agent or conspire with one of her friends!

Thanks again for all the tips! :D

Thanks for the tips everyone! I asked my mom what her dream vacation is and she said to visit me. How sweet and cheesy is that?! :p So after some contemplation I called her and asked her to come with me on the cruise I already have booked for May. That way we can spend time together and neither of us have to stress about where she wants to go. She's reluctant to say yes and wants to think about it a few days. I'm tempted to just add her to the booking but don't want to drag her on a vacation she will hate so I'm going to give her time to decide. If she says no then I'll have to find a travel agent or conspire with one of her friends!

Thanks again for all the tips! :D

I hope she decides to go.

We took my parents on a cruise last year. We did all the research and made sure we knew enough details to book via our TA. It was booked for about a year before we told them as it was a gift for their 50th wedding anniversary.

A cruise with us and their grand children as a complete surprise. They had about 2 months to take it all in so we had plenty of time to fix up insurance and the check in after they knew about it.

A great time was had by all.

So my advice is do some detective work to find out what they like. And make sure their diary is empty. We said we had "some issues to resolve" so got them to leave the week blank so they could look after the grandchildren.

sweetlove13, how thoughtful of you, I hope your mom will go! I took my mom on a s. Caribbean cruise, never having vacationed alone with her, without the whole family. We had a wonderful week together! So memorable, I will always treasure that trip with her.

We also gifted my parents a Mississippi riverboat cruise for their 50th anniversary. We surprised them at their party- with a cake decorated w/ a cruiseship, and the cruise brochure. They are now 85 and 84 and just celebrated their 60th! ;) Maybe your mom would enjoy having a Royal Caribbean brochure to look through? And tell her about activities and places she would enjoy. Not to mention having a week to enjoy each other- no cooking, cleaning, just fun!