Getting off the ship early at a tendered port

kmcqueen

I'm seeking advice from all of you Regent veterans out there. My wife and have have sailed on the Navigator 4 times, and next summer will be our first European Regent cruise on the Mariner. One of the ports is Sorrento, and we would like to go to Pompeii on our own (we prefer doing our own thing at most Eurpoean ports). However, since this is a tendered port I believe guests taking excursions get priority for leaving the ship, and we would like to leave as soon as possible to catch the train to Pompeii. Are we just out of luck, or is there some way to become part of the early groups leaving the ship. I can fully understand if Regent doesn't allow this, but it never hurts to ask!

Thanks for any advice that can be provided.

Kent

What a wonderful cruise you have to look forward to. We have stayed in Sorrento twice in hotels and also had tender ports there on Navigator in 2009 and twice later on Mariner.

Our best advice to you would be arrange on board via the concierge a private car/excursion.

The marina where you arrive is very busy.Regent arranges small shuttle van up to the town which is quite a steep hill.You would then have to get to the railway station from there.

Pompeii is over an hour from Sorrento by road and very busy with delays and congestion especially in afternoon. The visit to Pompeii is well worth the effort,but it is a busy place with lots of visitor's and traffic.

This area of Italy is wonderful and you will not be disappointed at all. I hope this ha been helpful to you.Have a fabulous cruise.

Aloha KMC,

We did the Regent included Pompeii excursion last year, and it was quite good; I don't know if you would gain any additional time getting there yourself by train as we were taken directly by bus, and it was fairly quick and well organized.

You could simply use the included excursion as transportation to Pompeii and then ask the guide where to meet the bus back to the ship at the appointed time, or find your way back (just watch the time!). We took the bus back to Sorrento and then stayed in town to have dinner on land; it was great.

Aloha from Hanalei,

Mark

Taking the train from Sorrento to Pompeii is very easy. A long trek up the hill but the train station is just a little bit more uphill past the main part of Sorrento. Get off at Pompeii Scavi and you are right at the entrance to the Pompeii ruins. Very cheap as well. The train runs quite often so if you miss one, there will be another soon so I would not worry too much about the time in getting off the ship. Be warned that the train is not luxury--a commuter train but it is probably more reliable and quicker than driving.

IMO, the tour guide explanation of what you are seeing makes the excursion one of the best that is offered by Regent. You can do it on your own -- take a book with you but it will not give you the same feeling as being there with someone that knows every detail of the area. An alternative would be to hire a private guide. In any case, getting off of the ship is not a big deal.

Why wouldn't you just hitch along with the Regent included tour?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Nana is correct for several reasons. I have done it both ways. The Regent tour is in a clean and air conditioned bus. Once you get to the ruins, you can follow along with the tour group or do your own thing (just tell the guide). If you decide you want to completely break away from the group and make your own way back to Sorrento via train, it is easy to do as the station is right there by the ruins.

If you take the train, you have to get yourself to the station in Sorrento (up a steep hill from where the tenders discharge you), get the train (which was very crowded and not air conditioned when I was there, also not very clean), then do the reverse after you are finished at Pompeii.

Also hire a private guide there who will probably try to group you with some other people (unless you want to explore totally without a guide which would mean you miss some interesting stuff that you are not likely to find on your own).

In this specific case, there is really no downside to using the regent included tour. I would not say that every time, but in this case, it is true.

My point was to use the Regent tour as convenient transportation and stay or leave them and do your own thing when it suits you to do it. I think Regent offers great guides for sites like this....

OP if you plan to leave the tour and do your own thing and make your way back to the ship on your own, be sure and tell the guide before you leave. I would hate to have them waste everyone's time looking for you!

Edited by nana541

Thanks, everyone for your advice. We have been on the Circumvesuviana before, so we are acquainted with the comforts on that particular train (or lack thereof!). I think we are leaning towards taking the included tour, and then see what we think of the tour when we get to Pompeii. If it is a good tour then we will probably stay with it, but if not we'll let the tour guides know that we'll just do it on our own and make our own way back. Thanks again for all of the information.

Kent

Everyone provided fine advice in answer to the specific question. I am interested in an answer to the general question of getting off the ship early in those circumstances. In our case, physical limitations preclude our taking the Regent excursion so we are taking a private tour that will be able to cater to our limitations.

We just went down to the door early and skipped the theater mess. Told them we had a private driver waiting and were put right on the tender. Now if the whole ship did that it would be a problem. Be polite and apologetic!

This always had us off the ship with the first Tender when we did private excursions.

• 3 weeks later...