Bahamas or Carribean

LindaTadir

My husband (64) and I (59) are going to take our first cruise. we will be in West Palm Beach in October and want to take a 3-4 night cruise out of Miami or Fort Lauderdale. We can't decide between the Bahamas or the Caribbean. We don't drink alcohol, so "Bars" aren't of any importance. We enjoy the beach, but an hour of sun bathing is plenty for us. We want to have fun and enjoy the various ports. We are hoping for suggestions. thanks in advance. Linda:o

Be aware that those short cruises tend to be really party till you pass out cruises, and are on the oldest ships in the fleet. They really don't give a complete picture of what cruising is really all about.

With that said, there's really not a lot of difference between the two places, and a lot of longer Caribbean (7 days) cruises include the Bahamas as one of their ports of call. Really, just pick one and see if cruising is for you.

Given your preferences and expectations, I agree with the others - try a longer itinerary if you can, preferably a 7-night cruise. The short 3 - 4 night cruises tend to be primarily party cruises on the older ships with a younger crowd and a good amount of drinking. The longer ones will give a much better picture of cruising and a better and more varied selection of ports of calls. I would also endorse those who recommend the Caribbean.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I agree with the above posters. Try for at least a 5 day cruise, if not a 7 day one. If that's not possible, try a 4 night that's Monday thru Friday as opposed to a weekend cruise (to minimize the party atmosphere).

I think the Caribbean (except Jamaica) is better than the Bahamas (Nassau), however if you get a cruiseline's private island on the Bahamas itinerary, that is usually an awesome beach day in a very beautiful place.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest a shorter cruise for your first time. Here are 3 that look good:

Island Princess 4 days to Cozumel sailing Oct 23

Caribbean Princess 5 days to Cozumel and Grand Cayman sailing Oct 18 and 27

Vision of the Seas 5 days to Grand Cayman and Key West sailing Oct 18

I am saying this because we had a bad outcome with my BIL who came on a cruise with us after talking about it for years....we did a 7 day and by the 3rd day he was miserable and wanted to go home. Turns out he wasn't the cruiser he thought he'd be.

Good luck with your decision.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest a shorter cruise for your first time. Here are 3 that look good:

Island Princess 4 days to Cozumel sailing Oct 23

Caribbean Princess 5 days to Cozumel and Grand Cayman sailing Oct 18 and 27

Vision of the Seas 5 days to Grand Cayman and Key West sailing Oct 18

I am saying this because we had a bad outcome with my BIL who came on a cruise with us after talking about it for years....we did a 7 day and by the 3rd day he was miserable and wanted to go home. Turns out he wasn't the cruiser he thought he'd be.

Good luck with your decision.

With the exception of the Island Princess, your short cruise recommendations are all still for cruises longer than the 3 - 4 nights under consideration with the OP, which I agree with if there is hesitation or not enough time in their schedule for a 7-night cruise. The 5-nights would still lessen the party atmosphere risk of the short cruises. :) In either case I agree to avoid the 3 - 4 night cruises if possible.

With the exception of the Island Princess, your short cruise recommendations are all still for cruises longer than the 3 - 4 nights under consideration with the OP, which I agree with if there is hesitation or not enough time in their schedule for a 7-night cruise. The 5-nights would still lessen the party atmosphere risk of the short cruises. :) In either case I agree to avoid the 3 - 4 night cruises if possible.

Yes, you are right. I guess I wasn't paying attention.

Caribbean Princess and Vision also have 4 night cruises in October. I would not suggest Carnival.

Yes, you are right. I guess I wasn't paying attention.

Caribbean Princess and Vision also have 4 night cruises in October. I would not suggest Carnival.

Sorry - I wasn't criticizing. :) I agree with your thoughts on the 5 nights as an alternative if longer isn't the right choice. Not familiar with the atmosphere on board some of the 4-nights you mention.

Sorry - I wasn't criticizing. :) I agree with your thoughts on the 5 nights as an alternative if longer isn't the right choice. Not familiar with the atmosphere on board some of the 4-nights you mention.

No problem. I have been on Caribbean Princess and had a nice time except the cabin attendant was a dud on that cruise but that can happen anywhere. I have not been on Vision but am going next month, doing the 5 day to Key West and Grand Caymen.

I hope they come back to say what they decided on.

May I ask why the preference seems to be the Caribbean and not the Bahamas??

Welcome to Cruise Critic! IMO the Caribbean has more interesting and diverse ports of call in comparison to what I think are more limited port options with the Bahamas.

This of course is better experienced with longer cruise itineraries v. the shorter 3 - 4 night ones as the Caribbean is more limited in reach on the shorter itineraries, especially with FL departures..

Edited by leaveitallbehind

My first cruise, as an adult was a 3 day, I don't drink, yes there were drunks, and I didn't care. I got a nice balcony on a Fantasy class ship, and enjoyed just being out on the water. Seeing the flying fish, seeing the stars at night, waking and watching the sun rise.

The Bahamas are great if you like soft sand and want to do a beach day. The Caribbean is a snorkelers paradise, as far as the waters are concerned.

If you are into history and the Mayan culture, you cannot do better than a Caribbean cruise. Especially if it docks in Belize, or Playa Maya, but I doubt if these two ports would be offered on a 3 or 4 day cruise. If you can, if you choose the Bahamas, see if you cant get one port to be Key West, truly an American treasure, and a great art colony.

If you are just wanting to try a cruise, don't care where you go, then I would just choose one that looks affordable, and try it out. You don't have to hang with the drunks, the kids, or the party-create your own space.

oh, and have a great time!:D

All of you have been so generous with your help and comments. :):)

our time is pretty tight and we won't have a lot of flexibility for our first cruise, but if we like even a little bit, we will probably build more time for it into our next trip to Florida. so, we are stuck on the first week of October. we will take advice and do 4 nights instead of 3 and use week days instead of week ends. that leaves us going on the 4th of October. there are 3 options on that day that we need to decide between. 2 for Bahama(Royal Carribbean-Majesty of the Seas and Norwegian Sky) and 1 for Carribbean (Carnival Ecstasy). reviews that I have seen on these ships have been mixed. I realize that the ship type/options and anemities + the cruise company are very important- almost as much as the destination. in addition, I understand that we are going "storm season" and changes to the itinerary based on the weather might occur as well. So, if anyone has any recommendations between those 3 ships/lines to provide, I would love it. Thanks in advance for future advice. Have a great day. Linda :D

I remember going on a cruise in the Carribean when I was a lot younger a long time ago with family. There's none of the water slides in those days or I would have remembered it. Just mostly adults partying but the food was great and the crew were friendly even hanging out with some of the kids.

All of you have been so generous with your help and comments. :):)

our time is pretty tight and we won't have a lot of flexibility for our first cruise, but if we like even a little bit, we will probably build more time for it into our next trip to Florida. so, we are stuck on the first week of October. we will take advice and do 4 nights instead of 3 and use week days instead of week ends. that leaves us going on the 4th of October. there are 3 options on that day that we need to decide between. 2 for Bahama(Royal Carribbean-Majesty of the Seas and Norwegian Sky) and 1 for Carribbean (Carnival Ecstasy). reviews that I have seen on these ships have been mixed. I realize that the ship type/options and anemities + the cruise company are very important- almost as much as the destination. in addition, I understand that we are going "storm season" and changes to the itinerary based on the weather might occur as well. So, if anyone has any recommendations between those 3 ships/lines to provide, I would love it. Thanks in advance for future advice. Have a great day. Linda :D

I would pick Majesty of the Seas. Don't pay too much attention to reviews.....some people complain when there is no need to. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. Enjoy your trip.