Glacier Bay or Tracy Arm Fjord

Doughboy

I am ready to book a cruise and have narrowed it down to two different ones. The only difference is that one goes to Glasier Bay and the other to Tracy Arm Fjord and I don't know which would be the best to see. Any help would be great!

I am ready to book a cruise and have narrowed it down to two different ones. The only difference is that one goes to Glasier Bay and the other to Tracy Arm Fjord and I don't know which would be the best to see. Any help would be great!

If I had to make a choice between those two, I'd go with Glacier Bay. If your cruise is going to be one shot and done with Alaska, in my opinion, Glacier Bay will give more of the Alaska "feel". If you think you may be returning to Alaska, it really doesn't matter, as you can go to the other one the next time.

We were lucky when booking our first Alaska cruise because we found a cruise that went to both Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay. I don't do cold, and I was positive I'd only be heading to Alaska once.

As it turns out - I was wrong. We've already gone back for a long cruise/tour and have plans to return.

We saw Hubbard Glacier first before going to Tracy Arm Fjord and we had seen Aialak and other glaciers in the Kenai Fjords Park area too. The glacier at the end of Tracy Fjord is farther away but the scenery up to it is beautiful

Edited by genealogyfan

If seeing glaciers is your priority on what you may consider to be your only trip to Alaska, go to Glacier Bay. Of the two, Glacier Bay is more of a sure thing. Access to the glacier at the end of Tracy Arm can be blocked by ice in the fjord.

That's not to say that Tracy Arm isn't worth seeing. It is stunningly beautiful. But, unless you can find an itinerary that does both, do one this time and one the next time. Because, I can assure you, there will most likely be a next time!:D

The only difference is that one goes to Glacier Bay and the other to Tracy Arm Fjord and I don't know which would be the best to see. Any help would be great!

I don't know either, not having been to TAF but with GB you are sure to see 4 or 5 glaciers, and most likely a bit of calving. This was my day there in July. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]hLutZrgzE6I[/YOUTUBE]

Glacier Bay, especially if it may be your only trip to Alaska.

I have attempted Tracy Arm 4x, 2x in a small boat and haven't gotten to the glaciers at all. Besides, Glacier Bay (and Marjorie Glacier) is going to give you a better glacier experience than Tracy Arm (even if you make it to the end).

Glacier Bay, especially if it may be your only trip to Alaska.

I have attempted Tracy Arm 4x, 2x in a small boat and haven't gotten to the glaciers at all. Besides, Glacier Bay (and Marjorie Glacier) is going to give you a better glacier experience than Tracy Arm (even if you make it to the end).

Sorry Coral, IMHO I enjoy North Sawyer far more than Marjorie IF you can get close.(way more calving and much bluer overall) That said for viewing from the cruise ship I would also always recommend Glacier Bay. Tracy Arm needs to be seen "up close and personal" on one of the small boat excursions.

Overall, I'd go with the group that says Glacier Bay. However, we just got back from Alaska and did Tracy Arm Fjord. If you do the optional excursion into TAF, then it's absolutely stunning (as long as you are late enough into the season so there isn't a lot of ice). We got right up to the glacier on the smaller boat and it was absolutely amazing! Love Glacier Bay too though!

I'm in the minority that prefers Tracy Arm. Both are great, and Tracy Arm is more about the 6000 ft. granite walls than the glacier itself. If you're doing an itinerary that includes Tracy Arm you can get your glacier fix in Juneau at Mendenhall Glacier that is flanked by the equally spectacular Nugget Falls.

Tracy Arm Fjord / North Sawyer Glacier

IMG_2920_zps26af3be9.jpg

Mendenhall Glacier and Nugget Falls

IMG_2379_zps3283aa62.jpg

This gets asked quite often and the replies are always split. I have now been to both and loved both. They are both stunning in their own rights.

One thing to note - as we were in there a few weeks ago, our location guide was saying that they are doing a lot of research in Tracy Arm now and are considering closing it to ships in the future.

I guess ask yourself if you think this is the only time you think you'll ever be in Alaska, would be my advice. If you may be returning, TA may not be around next time. I don't see Glacier Bay closing to cruises anytime in the near future.

We made it very close on our cruise 3 weeks ago.

804-vi.jpg

Tracy Arm is mostly scenery with steep sheer rock and lots of waterfalls, as you may or may not even see the Glaciers at the end. I don't pay upwards of $100 for any excursion, and I wouldn't want to be in a small boat when a huge calving takes place anyway. JMHO though. I hadn't heard they were thinking of closing Tracy Arm to ship traffic. Ships usually only cruise for a few hours in Tracy Arm.

Glacier Bay is about the Glaciers of course, you will see 4-5 of them. You may see whales at the entrance to Glacier Bay, and Seals, and even possibly a bear on the shore. And it is a National Park for a reason. And the ships that can enter the bay are limited. Only so many permits are granted. Glacier Bay is usually almost all day cruising with an onboard naturalist.

Compare the whole itinerary, ports and time in ports to make your decision. What you are willing to spend time and money on could be totally different than what I am willing to do. Alaska is an awesome destination, whichever you choose. Have a great trip!

Both options are good and you won't go wrong on an Alaska cruise.

But, I must say that there is something absolutely magical and mystical about Glacier Bay. The majestic scenery, the calm turquoise/jade water, the beautiful glaciers, the rainforest and the wildlife. There is almost a full day of cruising this serene and peaceful part of Alaska. Many people say it is just about the glaciers, but I disagree .... this is a full package of scenery, Alaskan wilderness, and spiritual experience.

If seeing glaciers is a priority, definitely choose the cruise going to Glacier Bay. With Tracy Arm, you just never know if your ship will be able to gain access to the end of the fjord where the glaciers are. The beauty of Tracy Arm is not so much the glacier at the end, but the journey through the fjord.

I have been to both. My cruise ship itinerary included Glacier Bay and it had enough time in Juneau for us to take the independent small boat tour into Tracy Arm. They were both highlights of our Alaska Adventure. I also cruised Tracy Arm on a cruise ship on another cruise. It is a different experience than from a small boat, but still a spectacular experience.

Good luck with your planning. It will be an amazing vacation, whichever you choose. Do make sure to compare times in port as well. Sometimes itineraries look similar but really aren't.

Also, if you are looking at round trips, please note that the cruises out of Vancouver are more scenic than those out of Seattle.

Sorry Coral, IMHO I enjoy North Sawyer far more than Marjorie IF you can get close.(way more calving and much bluer overall) That said for viewing from the cruise ship I would also always recommend Glacier Bay. Tracy Arm needs to be seen "up close and personal" on one of the small boat excursions.

Overall, the North Sawyer is FAR less active than the South Sawyer. Did you go to both? It also sounds like you are NOT talking about a cruise ship, as none that I have known, even get withing view of the North Sawyer?

There isn't an easy answer. :) It also could depend on the rest of the itinerary, port times, your touring choices, costs? Have you determine those?

With Tracy Arm, i'm a firm believer in it being "necessary" to purchase the add on ship excursion. This excursion is grossly superior to any cruise ship transit.

Overall, the North Sawyer is FAR less active than the South Sawyer. Did you go to both? It also sounds like you are NOT talking about a cruise ship, as none that I have known, even get withing view of the North Sawyer?

I meant to say South Sawyer is far more active and has more color. But I did get to North Sawyer on the last trip of the Dawn Princess back in 2008 before they sent her "down under" The Captain said we were the first large ship in many years that had gone up to the face of North Sawyer.

On my last trip with Adventure Bound Captain Steve took us to both North and South Sawyer

Edited by DougH

Our cruise goes to neither Glacier Bay nor Tracy arm but does Hubbard Glacier instead. How does this compare?

We don't really have the option of booking a Princess or HAL cruise, which are the ones that regularly go to Glacier Bay, as we are Australian and these cruiselines don't allow non US residents to book them in the US (HAL and Princess cruises in Australia are more expensive with much tighter cancellation and upgrade policies),so we booked with Celebrity.

We are also doing 3 days post cruise in Seward/Kenai peninsula so I hope that has us covered for glaciers without missing out on something more spectacular?? Are there any in that area that are must sees?

For us it is likely to be our only trip to Alaska, at least for the next 10 years or so....

Our cruise goes to neither Glacier Bay nor Tracy arm but does Hubbard Glacier instead. How does this compare?

We don't really have the option of booking a Princess or HAL cruise, which are the ones that regularly go to Glacier Bay, as we are Australian and these cruiselines don't allow non US residents to book them in the US (HAL and Princess cruises in Australia are more expensive with much tighter cancellation and upgrade policies),so we booked with Celebrity.

We are also doing 3 days post cruise in Seward/Kenai peninsula so I hope that has us covered for glaciers without missing out on something more spectacular?? Are there any in that area that are must sees?

For us it is likely to be our only trip to Alaska, at least for the next 10 years or so....

If you want to see glaciers then book glacier tours. A winner is a Prince William Sound boat tour out of Whittier, which is a tour I always do (this year 3 times). If you are doing a Kenai Fjords boat tour, I would consider the longer Major Marine tour that includes both Holgate and Aialik. (I would also be going out every day).

My Hubbard "experiences" haven't been great. I was there three times this year- with only last week's being stellar. The other two, were 10+ miles away, which isn't good viewing. Last year, also had three views, with none what I would consider "good", again, all, probably at least 10 miles away.

If you want to see glaciers then book glacier tours. A winner is a Prince William Sound boat tour out of Whittier, which is a tour I always do (this year 3 times). If you are doing a Kenai Fjords boat tour, I would consider the longer Major Marine tour that includes both Holgate and Aialik. (I would also be going out every day).

My Hubbard "experiences" haven't been great. I was there three times this year- with only last week's being stellar. The other two, were 10+ miles away, which isn't good viewing. Last year, also had three views, with none what I would consider "good", again, all, probably at least 10 miles away.

Thanks for the info BudgetQueen. One good thing I suppose is that we are doing the 3 days on land AFTER our cruise, so if we don't have much luck at Hubbard, or with whales etc, we know what to focus on at the end.

Do you think we need to prebook in Whittier for the Prince William sound tour, or Kenai Fjords, or would we be safe to wait until we get there. We are going in the second half of May.

Thanks for the info BudgetQueen. One good thing I suppose is that we are doing the 3 days on land AFTER our cruise, so if we don't have much luck at Hubbard, or with whales etc, we know what to focus on at the end.

Do you think we need to prebook in Whittier for the Prince William sound tour, or Kenai Fjords, or would we be safe to wait until we get there. We are going in the second half of May.

There are no whale watching tours after your cruise. You "may" see some out of Kenai Fjords, but maybe not, my stats are about 50%, with going out over 30 times (4 this year). Also it is a route trip, and stops are brief compared to a whale watch out of Juneau or Hoonah.

As for walk up- likely you would be able to get one of the three Whittier Prince William Sound tours- being flexible, which one, if any are sold out. As for Kenai Fjords, I have also gotten walk up there too, but always have my preference tour booked in advance, and definitely I book ahead if there are any big discounts offered prior.

A thought- you only have 3 days, you may not want to waste any time, trying to arrange tours, late. Especially with lodging reservations and you being in the areas. IF you weren't to go on a Kenai Fjord boat tour- what else are you planning on doing? Time is too valuable to be settling for something lackluster, when there are a whole bunch of excellent touring opportunities to have planned and using time wisely.

There are no whale watching tours after your cruise. You "may" see some out of Kenai Fjords, but maybe not, my stats are about 50%, with going out over 30 times (4 this year). Also it is a route trip, and stops are brief compared to a whale watch out of Juneau or Hoonah.

As for walk up- likely you would be able to get one of the three Whittier Prince William Sound tours- being flexible, which one, if any are sold out. As for Kenai Fjords, I have also gotten walk up there too, but always have my preference tour booked in advance, and definitely I book ahead if there are any big discounts offered prior.

A thought- you only have 3 days, you may not want to waste any time, trying to arrange tours, late. Especially with lodging reservations and you being in the areas. IF you weren't to go on a Kenai Fjord boat tour- what else are you planning on doing? Time is too valuable to be settling for something lackluster, when there are a whole bunch of excellent touring opportunities to have planned and using time wisely.

Thanks BQ. We are planning on prebooking pretty much everything, I just thought maybe we would just walk up and book a tour if any of our tours on the cruise are cancelled or we don't see many whales. But as you say, we will make sure to book a whale watch probably in Icy Strait as there is too much else to do in Juneau. Will do Prince William sound for sure, and a Kenai Fjords tour, Alaska railroad to Anchorage. I haven't researched any further than that yet - Still figuring out the port stops on the cruise. So much info around, it's wonderful and confusing all at the same time!