FIND and Join Your Rollcall !!!

DHADEN

I wonder how many people read these boards for info and still don't know about the ROLLCALL THREADS on the other boards.

Did you know there is a location on this site where you can meet and make friends with other people that will be on your cruise???

http://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcalls/?cruise_line_id=32

Just put in which ship you are going on and then find the date of your departure.

This is great because:

1) You can get info from others on the same cruise that you may not get anywhere else.

2) You get a party by RCI Cruise Director Staff once on board.

3) You can plan excursions together.

4) You can share info on Hotels if you come in a day or so early.

5) You can set up your own parties together while onboard.

6) etc. etc. etc. (I bet you and others can think of a lot more. ;) )

I just wanted to post this and get input because I suspect there would be a lot more people to join the Rollcalls if they only knew about them.

Edited by DHADEN

Good idea, DHADEN.

The Roll Call for my next sailing (1/26/15 Legend OTS) is a total snoozefest! I've never seen one slow on an RCI cruise. Keep hoping that people are just waiting to get closer to sailing before joining in.

C'mon, you lurkers, join in and let's have some fun!:D Oh, and don't forget to sign up for your Meet n Mingle while you're there.

Ellen

Edited by dreamer976

Good idea, DHADEN.

The Roll Call for my next sailing (1/26/15 Legend OTS) is a total snoozefest!

Same here - 4-12-15 Freedom of the Seas. Only a few members and they have totally quit posting.

Edited by ryano

Same here - 4-12-15 Freedom of the Seas. Only a few members and they have totally quit posting.

The sailing 2 weeks later probably has only 300 posts. (200 of them mine) :o After 6000 post roll calls on Freedom and 8000 on Allure, this seems extra slow. I have looked at a lot of different ones. Seems roll call usage is down across the board.

The sailing 2 weeks later probably has only 300 posts. (200 of them mine) :o After 6000 post roll calls on Freedom and 8000 on Allure, this seems extra slow. I have looked at a lot of different ones. Seems roll call usage is down across the board.

If a good friend of mine hadnt booked 4-12-15 a few days after I did I was about to move my booking for 4-26-15. Its a little more money the week you all are going but at least there would be a few members I kinda "know" from here and would like to meet such as yourself!

My last Freedom Roll Call was really active and was started almost two years in advance. The Meet and Mingle was confirmed months before sail away. Maybe my next one will pick up! I actually enjoy the roll calls and if there are no Meet and Mingles, the "unofficial" meetings we have had on my prior cruises.

Our Oasis Roll Call was was active as people were booking through the BOGOHO1 event, but has slowed down since. I keep posting updates on the Oasis changes as I hear them, but only a few of us are popping in. I was thinking it was the summer slow down, but we should be past that! We don't sail until May, so I figure it will get busy after the holidays. After the Oasis drydock we should have lots of great information on known changes, so I hope that gets the conversation moving!

OTOH, our Jewel Panama Canal cruise in Oct '15 has been rockin' all along! But that cruise is CC member (and a LOT of D & D+) heavy, so we are all well established 'chatters'.;)

I don't know, it seems roll calls digress into chit chat about local weather, family talk, etc.. not about the cruise. Then you have to wade through hoping to find something useful

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

That is called getting to know each other, one of the purposes of a Roll Call. We have made some good friends from our Roll Calls. For some it is just about the cruise. For us, it is much more than hat. There is nothing like seeing someone you have gotten to know throughout the course of the cruise, stopping to have a cup of coffee together, or sharing a table at the Windjammer when you bump into one of your new friends at lunch. And when it clicks, going on another cruise together! We have made friends around the world that I would not have made without the Roll Calls.:)

I don't know, it seems roll calls digress into chit chat about local weather, family talk, etc.. not about the cruise. Then you have to wade through hoping to find something useful

I agree somewhat. I don't mind it in small doses, but I prefer to learn as much as I can about the actual cruise/ship/excursions, since I've only been on one cruise, and I haven't been on RCCL yet.

Ours for December 7th on Allure has 646 posts...It has been pretty active the past couple of months, and now that we've hit double digits, I think everyone is extra ready!!

That is called getting to know each other, one of the purposes of a Roll Call. We have made some good friends from our Roll Calls. For some it is just about the cruise. For us, it is much more than hat. There is nothing like seeing someone you have gotten to know throughout the course of the cruise, stopping to have a cup of coffee together, or sharing a table at the Windjammer when you bump into one of your new friends at lunch. And when it clicks, going on another cruise together! We have made friends around the world that I would not have made without the Roll Calls.:)

When two or three people conversing back and forth make up well over half the posts, it's no longer a roll call. They should move it to the friends forum. Just sayin :o

What's this about?

After you introduce yourself to the Roll Call, you sign up for the Meet N Greet. That is a 45 minute get together that Royal puts together, with Activities Manager so all the people in the Meet N Greet can actually SEE each other at one time and put faces together with the people they have chatted with for month prior to the cruise. Royal plays games, has food and drinks...it can be a lot of fun depending upon the Activities Manager.

We met wonderful people who would be on our last cruise on Allure before we even left the port....it was great....I felt like I had 15- 20 new friends to enjoy my vacation with. You can do things with them or just be able to have a passing 'hello' as you criss cross the ship.

All fun.

I wonder how many people read these boards for info and still don't know about the ROLLCALL THREADS on the other boards.

Did you know there is a location on this site where you can meet and make friends with other people that will be on your cruise???

http://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcalls/?cruise_line_id=32

Just put in which ship you are going on and then find the date of your departure.

This is great because:

1) You can get info from others on the same cruise that you may not get anywhere else.

2) You get a party by RCI Cruise Director Staff once on board.

3) You can plan excursions together.

4) You can share info on Hotels if you come in a day or so early.

5) You can set up your own parties together while onboard.

6) etc. etc. etc. (I bet you and others can think of a lot more. ;) )

I just wanted to post this and get input because I suspect there would be a lot more people to join the Rollcalls if they only knew about them.

That's all fine and good if that's what you're after. But most people probably aren't looking to make friends on a cruise. I would venture most are looking to enjoy time with those they are traveling with (part of the reason the concept of group dining with strangers is becoming less and less popular). So, if that's your thing, more power to you. But for most of us, yeah, no thanks. Not really interested in hanging out at a meet & greet in a show lounge at 10:30 in the morning sipping fruit juice with a bunch of strangers.

I would venture that most people don't know about these roll calls or the meet & greets. But I would also venture that most that do, aren't really interested. That sort of activity is great for a niche of people looking for it. But for most of us, we come here to share and obtain information about cruising, not to make friends.

After you introduce yourself to the Roll Call, you sign up for the Meet N Greet. That is a 45 minute get together that Royal puts together, with Activities Manager so all the people in the Meet N Greet can actually SEE each other at one time and put faces together with the people they have chatted with for month prior to the cruise. Royal plays games, has food and drinks...it can be a lot of fun depending upon the Activities Manager.

We met wonderful people who would be on our last cruise on Allure before we even left the port....it was great....I felt like I had 15- 20 new friends to enjoy my vacation with. You can do things with them or just be able to have a passing 'hello' as you criss cross the ship.

All fun.

Great! Thanks so much for the info.

All fun.

Great! Thanks so much for the info.

Yeah, and if your Meet 'n' MINGLE ends up being like that, please let me know, because it doesn't sound like any which I have attended!

They are fine, but in my experience:

"Sometimes" hosted by the Activities Manager; sometimes just a random member of the CD's staff

"Never" lasts 45 minutes.

"Never" plays games

Almost never has food any more.

I still like them; I still go. But moderate your expectations to avoid disappointment.

:)

That's all fine and good if that's what you're after. But most people probably aren't looking to make friends on a cruise. I would venture most are looking to enjoy time with those they are traveling with (part of the reason the concept of group dining with strangers is becoming less and less popular). So, if that's your thing, more power to you. But for most of us, yeah, no thanks. Not really interested in hanging out at a meet & greet in a show lounge at 10:30 in the morning sipping fruit juice with a bunch of strangers.

I would venture that most people don't know about these roll calls or the meet & greets. But I would also venture that most that do, aren't really interested. That sort of activity is great for a niche of people looking for it. But for most of us, we come here to share and obtain information about cruising, not to make friends.

Whoh.

Yeah, and if your Meet 'n' MINGLE ends up being like that, please let me know, because it doesn't sound like any which I have attended!

"Sometimes" hosted by the Activities Manager; sometimes just a random member of the CD's staff

"Never" plays games

I still like them; I still go. But moderate your expectations to avoid disappointment.

The one we had on Jewel in July of 2013 was with Activities Director Elvis....and it was great. He helped break the ice for people with some name games and cruise trivia....and then let everyone just mingle around with the finger food/cookies and coffee, juice or wine at 10:30am.

On Allure this past June, the AD did it...he did not do as good a job as Elvis because he spent too much time talking about the ship....and did not make it enough about the CRUISERS who were there....but some of us assertive ones, helped turn that around....and there was food to nibble on with drinks.

Those were my experiences....and it was a fun 45 minutes.

I don't pretend to know what 'most people know or don't know' nor do I pretend to know 'what people want or not want'. What I do know from my personal experience, is that my DH and I often cruise by ourselves and enjoy meeting other people....for us it is why we want a MDR experience with a set table of tablemates for dinner on our cruise. Sure some people will go to a specialty restaurant on some nights but others will still be there....even we will go to a specialty restaurant perhaps one night.

Those that want it, can find it. It is about having available to you, what you want....and some people may not know that Roll Calls and Meet N Mingles exist.

When two or three people conversing back and forth make up well over half the posts, it's no longer a roll call. They should move it to the friends forum. Just sayin :o

I agree..I've quit posting on roll calls, since I've gotten tired of reading the same things over and over. On some roll calls, there will be one person who posts constantly. They control the roll call and answer every post.

Very annoying.:rolleyes:

I sometimes lurk, just to see if there's any new info relating to the cruise but it's hard to find between the personal stuff.

I saw a detailed list about how someone should post on a roll call but the problem is, not many will read or follow it.

"Never" plays games

I always attend. I always wear recognizeable clothing so people will recognize me if they desire. I always stand and never sit in my little group. 95% of the people attending have never posted at CC. 90% never come and introduce themselves to me. Although, I often, will force myself upon them, and then that first 95% number kicks in, and they look at me like what is cruise critic. The only roll calls in which I have really had much success meeting people from the roll call is on transatlantics where the people are typically different than the demographic of a 7 day cruise. I did actually win something on the Oasis cruise this year, I think I got an insulated plastic RCI coffee mug.

I always figure one of these days one of my old "buddies" from CC like JJ (Coxswain among other alias) will come and deck me in the middle of the room. I love living on the edge.:D

jc