Cruise ship funnels

Canadian Cruiser98

Lately I've been noticing that each cruise line, and even each class of cruise ship, has distinctive design elements on the exterior of the ship that help to make it unique from the other ships. For example, Royal Caribbean ships all have a turquoise color scheme, Celebrity ships are less curvy and more geometric in design, and the funnels are all different. My question is: What ship has the best looking funnel?

Disney made a deliberate decision to design their ships with traditional looks. That includes the shape and positions of the funnels.

A bit of Trivia - the funnels on old ships were sized to exhaust large amounts of coal smoke since coal was the fuel used at the time and it created copious amounts of heavy, black smoke. Modern ships now use bunker oil and exhaust the gases much like a tailpipe of you family car, so require much smaller funnels. However, most modern cruise ships retain some vestiges of traditional funnels, most notably large sizes than necessary or the number of them. On some ships, Disney as an example, one or more of the funnels are decorative only.

Edited by boogs

I love HAL's classy livery. The HAL dark blue hulls with white are so neat and attractive to my eyes. The dark funnels with the HAL logo are handsome, I think.

Definitely my favorites.

While I don't care for Costa, I somehow like their yellow funnels.

I love HAL's classy livery. The HAL dark blue hulls with white are so neat and attractive to my eyes. The dark funnels with the HAL logo are handsome, I think.

Definitely my favorites.

While I don't care for Costa, I somehow like their yellow funnels.

I should have noted that most, though not all, of HAL ships have twin funnels.

If I remember correctly, even the Titanic and her sisters didn't need 4 funnels. I believe they only needed 3, but had the 4th dummy added for aesthetics. Even the old SS France/SS Norway only needed one funnel, but had two for looks, just like the Disney ships.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, even the Titanic and her sisters didn't need 4 funnels. I believe they only needed 3, but had the 4th dummy added for aesthetics. Even the old SS France/SS Norway only needed one funnel, but had two for looks, just like the Disney ships.

"Four stack" liners were the top of the line in the early 1900s. Cunard's Mauritania and Lusitania both had 4 funnels that led to boilers. The Olympic only needed three, but the fouth was installed to make it look powerful.

Also, the SS France had two boiler rooms, so each funnel was active. When she became the Norway, one set of boilers were removed, and diesel generators put in that engine room.

Aloha,

John

Lately I've been noticing that each cruise line, and even each class of cruise ship, has distinctive design elements on the exterior of the ship that help to make it unique from the other ships. For example, Royal Caribbean ships all have a turquoise color scheme, Celebrity ships are less curvy and more geometric in design, and the funnels are all different. My question is: What ship has the best looking funnel?

Princess must think it is Carnival's whale tail funnel, as Princess added on to its Caribbean Princess ...

IMGP1240.jpg

• 4 years later...

My personal favourites are Cunard. The ones that dont do it for me , those silly stark upright one on Costa , lovely design of ship and then someone said we have forgotten the funnel- here this will do .  

2 hours ago, Holliz said:

.....The ones that dont do it for me , those silly stark upright one on Costa , lovely design of ship and then someone said we have forgotten the funnel- here this will do .  

I don't think the funnel was added by the designer as an afterthought.

Looks to me like he asked his 5-year-old son to do it for him. :classic_biggrin:

JB :classic_smile:

Edited by John Bull

On 9/14/2014 at 3:05 PM, Cuizer2 said:

Princess must think it is Carnival's whale tail funnel, as Princess added on to its Caribbean Princess ...

IMGP1240.jpg

Nice try! That's a CCL ship parked behind this one!

3 minutes ago, Holliz said:

3 minutes ago, Holliz said:

Italian Line 1960s Michelangelo, they had trellis work around the stacks in Italian national colours.

D2C83A1D-6559-4681-96B4-EA085B61634B.jpeg

Edited by Holliz

5 hours ago, Holliz said:

My personal favourites are Cunard. The ones that dont do it for me , those silly stark upright one on Costa , lovely design of ship and then someone said we have forgotten the funnel- here this will do .  

If you look at pictures of the classic ships of the early 20th century you will see that Costa’s style is an exact replica of the shape of what was on the old Cunarders, French line ships and merchant vessels:  yes, stark and upright, but utilitarian, the way funnels used to need to be.