Buffet Everyday (dinner)

Hi All!

Our next cruise is in about 3 weeks on the Brilliance. We are traveling with our toddler (19 months old). We are thinking that we will skip the dining room for the entire trip and stick with the Windjammer. DS has already been on 3 cruises at his young age and quite frankly the dining room isn't the highlight of our trip when traveling with the little guy. It's a lot easier to skip the dining room these days. Plus we aren't in the mood to bring dress clothes on this trip.

In all of my 11 Royal Caribbean cruises I have never eaten dinner in the Windjammer. Do they serve the same thing every night or change it up? We tried the buffet on Carnival Breeze in July and it sucked. Lacked variety and same old stuff each night (for the most part). I am hoping on Royal there is a wide variety. I do remember going in there a few times to get soup or something to snack on while waiting for our dinner and they had some of the MDR items in Windjammer. Is this still the case?

PS: Before anyone jumps on us, we have MTD and have already paid our grats.

Edited by smileyperry

I think that the Windjammer has a few items every night from the MDR. I have never eaten dinner in the Windjammer but I believe they offer a couple of items that are on the MDR menu.

You could go to the MDR and request a table for two and bring the little guy.

We ate every night in the WJ with our then 3 year old on Liberty.

It was a different experience to during the day, the lights were dimmed and quite a nice ambience.

We would have a check of what was on the MDR menu and search them out in the buffet. Most items were there and made it a bit more interesting and different than just a buffet (if you understand what I mean :))

The food items in the Windjammer will vary nightly and there will be a variety of items. Some of the items ( not all ) from the MDR menu each night will be served in the Windjammer along with other items only available in the Windjammer. For example there will be no lobster served in the Windjammer as in the MDR on Formal. I'm planning on doing the same thing on my next cruise as I really enjoyed the flexibility as well as the food variety dining in the Windjammer.

Agree with the pervious poster about the ambiance in the Windjammer for Dinner. Also it's more relaxed and not rushed.

Edited by xxoocruiser

I think that the Windjammer has a few items every night from the MDR. I have never eaten dinner in the Windjammer but I believe they offer a couple of items that are on the MDR menu.

You could go to the MDR and request a table for two and bring the little guy.

We took our son then 4 years old every night to the MDR on our 12 night Adventure cruise.

It's fair to say it wasn't all plain sailing (no pun intended) but the staff loved having our son there.

We love the WJ for dinner. If we find that the service is not up to par in the MDR, or we don't really like the food on the menu that evening, we will often go to the WJ for dinner. On our Explorer cruise to Bermuda last year we ate in the WJ every night. Our favourite is the Mongolian Grill.

They usually change many items each night and there is often a theme such as Italian. There is usually pizza most nights from what I recall as well.

With a young child it may suit you much better eating when you feel it is the best time for you rather than assigned times in the MDR. I wouldn't hesitate at all to eat in the WJ. The staff at night from our experience is very nice and very helpful as well.

Hope this helps,

Dee

Although we no longer have little ones, however we tried the Windjammer for dinner on our last cruise. We had MTD and one night didn't feel like dressing up so we gave the Windjammer a try. We really enjoyed eating there so much that we ended up going again a second time during the cruise.

The food was good and there was a nice variety. We will be doing it again on future cruises.

Enjoy your cruise.

There is always room service too....and on some ships, Johnny Rockets and cafe promenade all of which can be options with smaller children. Of course the Oasis class has many additional dining options, but that does not help on this particular cruise. Room service is a top option with toddlers though, as you can ask for some kid friendly things not available elsewhere. I would ask for p&j sandwich, cut up fruit and maybe some fries and my kids were hapoy as could be. I did also takemy toddlers to mdr and found the servers to be grwat with them. Always brought the kids "munchies" to keep them hap9y as we ate our way through the courses.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

There is always room service too....and on some ships, Johnny Rockets and cafe promenade all of which can be options with smaller children. Of course the Oasis class has many additional dining options, but that does not help on this particular cruise. Room service is a top option with toddlers though, as you can ask for some kid friendly things not available elsewhere. I would ask for p&j sandwich, cut up fruit and maybe some fries and my kids were hapoy as could be. I did also takemy toddlers to mdr and found the servers to be grwat with them. Always brought the kids "munchies" to keep them hap9y as we ate our way through the courses.

We're well versed in cruising with a toddler already. We plan to take our on on Oasis/Allure when he is at least 3 or 4 so he can actually enjoy it. We're doing Liberty in November as well.

We're just "over" taking him to the MDR and wanted to be sure we'd be able to enjoy our dinner in the Windjammer. We found that Royal Caribbean did the best with accommodating our son in the MDR compared to Carnival.

We'd prefer the buffet though, we don't want to be cooped up in the stateroom ordering room service for dinner every night!

We love the buffets for dinner. Usually split our time evenly between MDR, buffet, and specialty restaurants.

After a busy day it is nice to go to dinner in shorts and a tee shirt .. although I know some people go to the MDR that way :-(

We too look at the dinner menu for MDR and if nothing interests us .. then off to buffet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We tried Windjammer several times on our last cruise. The ambiance was very nice and relaxed with tablecloths and lower lighting. The food was better than breakfast and lunch (IMO). My husband loved the pizza. You pick up a single portion sized pizza bread and top it with your favorite toppings. Then someone puts it in the oven for you so it's nice and freshly baked.

I'm not a big fan of buffets, but I was actually impressed with the dinner selections each night. You'll be fine there with your little man cub!

We were on Brilliance March 2013 Eastern Caribbean and dined in the Windjammer every night. Very relaxed, great selection and different international themes every night. Remember that the Radiance class has the open air dining all the way aft, so DW and I dined al fresco every night. Most evenings we were alone outside, except for staff. Virtually a private / exclusive outdoor restaurant in the moonlight. Very romantic - makes me wonder that we don't have an 18 month old todler now ourselves. :D

And they had ice cream every night (besides the soft serve).

Sorry smileyperry. Did not realize what I said was so offensive. Usually people posting are looking for a variety of input. Next time please just ignore my comments instead of chastising me.

:confused: The chastising went right over my head.

OP, we did Windjammer for dinner a few times on our last cruise and I enjoyed it much more than the MDR. I'm not much into having someone fussing and fawning over me. I like to get what I want and enjoy it in peace (with my family).

Sorry smileyperry. Did not realize what I said was so offensive. Usually people posting are looking for a variety of input. Next time please just ignore my comments instead of chastising me.

Wow! Talk about taking a post the wrong way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think that you might have taken the OP's response a bit differently than intended. Seems that they were simply sharing that they've had previous experience sailing with a youngster already. I don't believe any harm was intended! ;)

I've seen some of your answers already and I believe they are all correct even if they differ. On Allure and Freedom I did see some of the things from the MDR available. On Jewel I didn't see that, but I did see some things available in the evening that werent in the afternoon and a few things were new each night with most being the same. I did get a really good pork chop and pork ribs on Jewel.

I wasn't chastising you in any way! I am confused right now... I was letting you know that we have done the MDR with him and we would prefer not to do that being that he is getting to the age where he likes to test boundaries. No sense in disrupting other people's dinners.

Sorry if you took it the wrong way. I did appreciate your input.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by smileyperry

Did not realize what I said was so offensive. ... Next time please just ignore my comments instead of chastising me.

Aww, sometimes the written word is misinterpreted and it looks like it might have been here. homeschoolmama, maybe you are having a difficult day? I hope not. I did not find OP's comments to be offensive in any way. :(

OP smileyperry, the WJ is fantastic for dinner. As stated, quiet ambience, delicious food, relaxed and casual atmosphere and dress code. We have gone to dinner in the buffet for our last six cruises, and like you, had selected MTD with pre-paid grats. This way, we know everyone will still be tipped as they should be.

Rats!.... with encouraging threads like this, maybe the WJ won't be so quiet and relaxed at dinner for much longer! LOL :D:p

Do give the dining room a try...you may find it's easier to be served, than hopping up and down to get what you need! They are VERY accommodating to children!

They really are wonderful. On the Enchantment back in May our dining staff bent over backwards for us. We went to MTD early each night when there were only a few other people. They had the highchair and a bowl of fruit at the table each night before we even got to the table.

The waiter even fed my son so we could eat our own dinners before they got cold!

This is why Royal is our preferred cruise line. :)

We are trying to avoid disrupting other cruisers' experience.

IMG_5097_zps60e3444b.jpg

Edited by smileyperry

DH and I have taken to dining in Windjammer for dinner on the 3 night cruises. we take these cruises strictly to relax and don't want to carry extra clothes or be on a timetable. We have been fairly impressed with the food in Windjammer. Especially on our last Enchantment cruise. They usually have the soups ( Garlic, Lobster bisque, Banana Rum,etc) along with some of the MDR entree's such as Chicken Marsala, Prime Rib, and lamb. They also add some variety items such as sushi, Cajun items, Asian items, along with some seafood and chicken offerings, etc. I am sure you will find something you like. If not, you can order room service after you get back to the room. BTW, my son discovered that they have Banana Foster sometimes and now that is the first thing I look for!!