Tons of cabins still left and less than 2 months to sail date - chance of upgrade?

abisha

I am booked on the Ruby for Nov 3rd sailing in an inside. Right now, there are still tons of cabins left, especially balcony cabins. The ship is very empty right now. Entire sections of hallways are still unsold. I am very surprised. No wonder why I paid only $199. It seems like it will be a ghost ship. If not many more cabins sell, they will surely be losing money.

I was wondering what would happen in a case like this. Will the cruise get cancelled? If not, do they offer a free upgrade, and if they do, when do they offer it? Day of embarkation? I do recall that when I booked it last week, the Princess rep asked me if I would be interested in an upgrade should that occur.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced sailing on a very empty ship.

I am booked on the Ruby for Nov 3rd sailing in an inside. Right now, there are still tons of cabins left, especially balcony cabins. The ship is very empty right now. Entire sections of hallways are still unsold. I am very surprised. No wonder why I paid only $199. It seems like it will be a ghost ship. If not many more cabins sell, they will surely be losing money.

I was wondering what would happen in a case like this. Will the cruise get cancelled? If not, do they offer a free upgrade, and if they do, when do they offer it? Day of embarkation? I do recall that when I booked it last week, the Princess rep asked me if I would be interested in an upgrade should that occur.

The cruise would not be canceled and it will fill up.

6 weeks is a long time. Princess has been doing this for many many years and do it well. They do not upgade at the pier.

Does it mean there will be upgrades, yes there always are on every cruise as the sailing date gets closer.

The booking has an area thats marked whether the passenger will accept an upgarde or not.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

the cruise will go as planned even with many empty cabins.

There may be many guarantees that have not been assigned a cabin.

There is always a chance of a free upgrade, but that does not get Princess much. They are more likely to offer flash sales.

The cruise would not be canceled and it will fill up.

6 weeks is a long time. Princess has been doing this for many many years and do it well. They do not upgade at the pier.

Does it mean there will be upgrades, yes there always are on every cruise as the sailing date gets closer.

The booking has an area thats marked whether the passenger will accept an upgarde or not.

Is the upgrade offer ever free? Or do they offer at a cost? I believe I did answer "yes" I would accept if an offer came through, but now that I think of it, what if I really do not like the cabin location? Do you absolutely have to accept the offer if you answered "yes" to that question?

Is the upgrade offer ever free? Or do they offer at a cost? I believe I did answer "yes" I would accept if an offer came through, but now that I think of it, what if I really do not like the cabin location? Do you absolutely have to accept the offer if you answered "yes" to that question?

An upgade is free and upsell is not. They are supposed to contact you or your TA to see if you want the upgrade. There have been comments on CC that people were moved and never notified. Some were able to get their cabins back others were not so lucky. Most like their upgrades and never question it. They could offer either. Its an unknown whether they will give you an upgrade or not, there is no rhyme or reason on how the system works for upgrades.

I don't have any specific knowledge on this, but I'm guessing there may not be as many cabins available as you think.

We're on the Ruby that starts in Canada on Oct 22nd and finishing there in Ft. Lauderdale on Nov 3rd. When we were booking (in late June), there were tons of cabins available in the class we booked. I was thinking at the time they were never going to fill the ship up. Then a few weeks later the category we booked went from lots available to sold out virtually overnight.

My guess is a lot of people booked a guarantee cabin, but the booking engine probably showed any cabin that wasn't specifically assigned as available. Once they reached a point that the guarantees equaled the balance of the rooms available, they probably all got assigned.

I imagine the airlines do the same thing. The flight we booked (but didn't pay the extra to get a seat assignment) still shows about 1/2 full, but the price today is now 5X what we paid a couple of months ago (which means it is really probably close to being sold out).

Princess encountered a 'worst case scenario' like this last year when the CA and FL 3-5 day cruises were not selling well. They ended up offering them as 'free cruises', where you would get to apply the money spent for that cruise as a future credit against another Princess cruise taken by the end of 2014. A lot of people on this site took advantage of this (including myself). Needless to say, those ships sailed full, and Princess got autotips and onboard spending from every passenger, plus the majority went on to take another Princess cruise. So even in that drastic scenario, they filled the ship.

I recall seeing somewhere (I think it was that big Cruises Inc. TV special a few years ago featuring NCL) that if a cruise sails at less than 100% occupancy it is considered to be a failure. Keep in mind that it is possible to go over 100% occupancy if there are 3rd and/or 4th passengers booked in cabins.

Edited by helenb

There are free upgrades on occasion. Usually they occur when a category is oversold and the next higher category has available cabins. Sometimes you get a call in advance offering the upgrade. Others have learned at checkin that they have been upgraded. If you learn of the upgrade after your original cabin is reassigned, then you would be limited to available cabins if you were not happy with the upgrade.

Always mark your reservation "No Upgrade" if there is even one cabin in a higher category you do not want

Probably 10 years ago, we got talking to the couple next to us in line for the transfer to the ship. After chatting a bit someone asked the other what deck they were on and surprise surprise, we were on the same deck as them. Someone said what cabin and, you guessed it, we were in the same cabin. We all pulled out our boarding passes to be sure. But it was true. We had gotten a call from out TA a few says before informing us we were upgraded to a balcony. Turns out the other couple was upgraded to a mini, but never told of the upgrade.

We decided to check in together to be sure we were not sharing a cabin.

So there is not an absolute guarantee you will be told in advance of an upgrade. The ship was sold out, so either couple would have been out of luck if not happy with the upgrade

We booked a last minute trip last week. 5 days later received an email on a upgrade. (Was not really an upgrade upgrade but it was moving us to a better location from AFT to midship)

The email stated the move / new room number and also stated that we had 48 hours to contact them if we wish to keep our same room. That they would try there best to put us right back in the same room or one right near it. Otherwise if we wished to keep the upgrade it simply stated we did not have to contact them.

I would suggest that you ensure that you check your email each day.

A couple days ago we called into Princess to ask some questions about other things. Through the convo the rep mentioned they see on our file that we are entitled to an additional upgrade then the one we have already received.

I asked what they meant by this (As we are newbie cruisers). They informed us that it is really a luck of the draw but if any rooms are available before the cruise our file is noted that we "MAY" be upgraded. It all depends on availability and there is a slight chance we might be upgraded up to a balcony, etc.

They said it is slim but a chance and that it could be right up to the day of departure that we would be notified. I actually thanked the agent twice because I thought we were done, booked, printed our stuff and I had no intentions to even look at my email the few days before the cruise.

The agent in away scolded me LOL.. said definitely check your email each day, even the morning we have to go to the port to board as there is always a chance that an upgrade can happen.

If I were you just keep an eye on your email :)

Edited by jb456

I don't have any specific knowledge on this, but I'm guessing there may not be as many cabins available as you think.

We're on the Ruby that starts in Canada on Oct 22nd and finishing there in Ft. Lauderdale on Nov 3rd. When we were booking (in late June), there were tons of cabins available in the class we booked. I was thinking at the time they were never going to fill the ship up. Then a few weeks later the category we booked went from lots available to sold out virtually overnight.

My guess is a lot of people booked a guarantee cabin, but the booking engine probably showed any cabin that wasn't specifically assigned as available. Once they reached a point that the guarantees equaled the balance of the rooms available, they probably all got assigned.

I imagine the airlines do the same thing. The flight we booked (but didn't pay the extra to get a seat assignment) still shows about 1/2 full, but the price today is now 5X what we paid a couple of months ago (which means it is really probably close to being sold out).

Makes sense. My 3 day cruise in November looks like the ship will be sailing virtually empty.:eek::eek::eek: But, I didn't take into consideration the guarantee bookings that have not been assigned yet.

Probably 10 years ago, we got talking to the couple next to us in line for the transfer to the ship. After chatting a bit someone asked the other what deck they were on and surprise surprise, we were on the same deck as them. Someone said what cabin and, you guessed it, we were in the same cabin. We all pulled out our boarding passes to be sure. But it was true. We had gotten a call from out TA a few says before informing us we were upgraded to a balcony. Turns out the other couple was upgraded to a mini, but never told of the upgrade.

We decided to check in together to be sure we were not sharing a cabin.

So there is not an absolute guarantee you will be told in advance of an upgrade. The ship was sold out, so either couple would have been out of luck if not happy with the upgrade

Very interesting. Nice to hear you didn't have to share a cabin with a couple you didn't know. LOL.:):):)

Unless you have direct access to Princess' reservation system (which I'm sure you don't) you have no idea how many GTY's are still out there yet to be berthed by Princess' Inventory/Dispatch department. There could be well over 500 passengers yet to be berthed. All the general public can see is available bookable categories and assignable cabins, but it in no way reflects the actual inventory. Princess never wants to show it's competitor how and what it's selling. You also don't how many travel agent fam trips, employees, VIP's and other groups that have yet to be cleared & berthed. I can assure you these ships do NOT go out empty. Most sailings go out at or near capacity so the chance of your cruise being cancelled is slim to nil although it's possible since it's it just a 5-day it might go out less than capacity. Please don't worry about it and enjoy your cruise.

Edited by COMBOY

ok..I understand what you are saying. Makes sense. Although I wouldn't complain if the ship wasn't sold out very well...more room (and food) for me..lol!:)

Just curious...why are there (or would there be) a lot of gurantee cabins sold? I can understand if the price of the guarantee cabin were to be lower than selecting a specific cabin, but when I was watching prices, the guarantee price was same as the "select your own room" price. So where is the incentive? For same price, wouldn't you want to select your own room? I guess I am missing something here. :confused:

Just curious...why are there (or would there be) a lot of gurantee cabins sold? I can understand if the price of the guarantee cabin were to be lower than selecting a specific cabin, but when I was watching prices, the guarantee price was same as the "select your own room" price. So where is the incentive? For same price, wouldn't you want to select your own room? I guess I am missing something here. :confused:

Some people believe that you have a better chance of an upgrade if you book a guarantee

I completely agree. I can see buying a guarantee if it is cheaper, but for the same price, does Princess really sell that many guarantees?

Even if the ship is practically empty doesn't mean that the cruise line is going to give you a free upgrade. You would be more likely to receive an upsell offer. I see you are on a 5day out of Ft Lauderdale for $199 which is already a loss leader. They are hoping to make their money off of you in other on board revenue: drinks, specialty restaurants, spa, etc.

My cruise date seemed wide open except for suites right up to 3 weeks prior. Within the next week, cabins were likely assigned to guarantees as next thing I know the cruise was sold out. I called to see if there was an option to upgrade from inside to balcony and was quoted USD600.00 per person. We decided the money was better spent towards vino and on shore since we'll only be in our cabin to sleep.

Sometimes all that is offered in a particular category is a guarantee. We have had to book them when making a reservation after the final payment date when picking a specific cabin would have meant moving up to a higher category and paying more. We're not picky as to where we'll end up on the ship--unless I can get a Caribe Deck balcony cabin on a Grand-class ship. In that case, I'll mark our booking "meta upgrade" only.

Sometimes all that is offered in a particular category is a guarantee. We have had to book them when making a reservation after the final payment date when picking a specific cabin would have meant moving up to a higher category and paying more. We're not picky as to where we'll end up on the ship--unless I can get a Caribe Deck balcony cabin on a Grand-class ship. In that case, I'll mark our booking "meta upgrade" only.

I'm not super picky but I'm not at all sure I'd like a cabin directly below Princess Theater.