Aft Balcony or Mini Suite?

Lerin

We are booked on a b2b on Golden Princess in cabin D735.

This is a balcony which faces aft. We like these cabins as we like to watch the wake of the ship and they tend to be less windy. We also don't spend a ton of time in our cabin, so the extra space of a mini suite doesn't make or break a decision.

However we have been given an offer to have mini suite D-206 for very little extra money and are considering.

Anyone have thoughts on which of these cabins is better? Why?

Thanks for your feedback.

We usually prefer the covered balcony mini suites but are in an aft facing balcony cabin on our next cruise. While I will miss the bigger bath a lot and the sofa a bit, I just love the aft facing balconies, especially the ones on each end of the back. We are in C752 on the Ruby at Thanksgiving. When I saw it was available, I just grabbed it and never really looked back. I have not seen any of the Emerald Deck mini's available and I booked this cruise over a year ago. I would not take a Dolphin Deck mini because the balconies are too exposed and I think a lot of them have a view of the life boats as well. So for me, I would keep the balcony cabin. I am assuming you are on one of the Grand Class or off shoots there of. Otherwise my comments are not very relevant.

We booked C752 on Grand. We were offered a mini for not much more money and turned it down as we wanted C752. We loved the cabin. Having said that, I would, possibly, take the mini next time if offered as we have never had a mini. Variety and all that...

Edited by Thrak

I would not take a Dolphin Deck mini because the balconies are too exposed and I think a lot of them have a view of the life boats as well.

You're right, thanks for pointing that out!

Yes, the mini suite cabin is exposed and looks down onto a lifeboat.

Looks like we'll stay put, we were happy to snag the aft anyway. A couch and a tub is nice, but not a necessity.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

The corner aft minis have very spacious decks, not sure if yours is a corner or not without pulling up a deck plan. We have sailed in the corner aft and also the covered minis. We personally like the mini for the extra room and full bath. I have never had an exposed mini but for the right price I would go with the mini over the aft, specially on a longer cruise, over 7 days.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I also snagged a corner aft on caribe deck on upcoming cruise for next spring.

But yours is not a corner. Here is a you tube video of D 734 (mirror image of your room) on the Crown Princess, sister ship of the Golden.

Here are some things to consider. A b2b cruise is long. I did a 14 day transatlantic in a Dolphin mini suite with my daughter and it saved her life, otherwise I would have thrown her overboard. (vice versa, I'm sure.) The extra space was fantastic. You could draw a curtain and separate the sleeping area from the couch area and that was nice. However, I was not a fan of the balcony. It was uncovered and everyone could look down on you, so not much privacy or protection from the sun. I personally prefer the Caribe rooms, smaller but way larger balconies that are half covered.

Your aft room will be smaller, and it looks like the balcony is completely covered and there will be noise from the wake.

It's all a matter of your own preferences.

Not knowing which cruise you are on and what is still available, I would suggest looking at Emerald deck E729 and E728. They are mini suites that are covered and an extra wide (not deep) deck that also offers a bit of the wake. I understand that these cabins get taken quickly so there might not be an available one for your cruise. I'd check it out, though. It seems the best of both worlds.