Last minute question…fans/noise?

Lammy23

We are boarding the Golden Princess tomorrow and I have an odd question…I know there is no ceiling fan, but is there a A/C unit that has the fan inside..you know where you can just have the fan on but not necessarily the heat or A/C?

We are used to sleeping with the noise of a fan and I'm wondering if I should bring a small portable fan with me…

Either that or is it possible to keep your balcony door cracked to get the noise of the ocean?

We can't sleep in silence! :) Thanks!

As someone who sleeps with windows open all year round and even likes the faint noise of the highway in the distance, I feel you. Sadly, the a/c on Princess is pretty quiet, even when cycled on. There isn't a separate fan switch like on a home thermostat.

People will tell you that leaving your balcony door open creates all kinds of horrors, up to and including sinking the ship and possibly starting World War 3. However, I see no reason why you can't leave the balcony door open a crack -- I've done it and no harm has befallen the ship. Of course, it's possible I caused the invasion of Ukraine and the civil strife in Syria . . . . That said, it's pretty quiet at sea at night, so it's not like you're going to get that much noise from the ocean, either, unless you're all the way aft where you'd hear the wake.

Some people bring white noise machines in case of noisy cabin areas -- I guess you could try that. Or the fan, but a white noise machine might be smaller/lighter to pack.

LOL!

I suppose I could try a white noise app on my phone. We are lucky to live outside of Seattle and don't need to fly anywhere, so packing the fan wouldn't be too much of a hassle. Hm, I'll have to think on it. Thanks for the reply though!

We are used to sleeping with the noise of a fan

I see by reading further that you mean an electrical device not someone who sits in your room applauding and yelling "Bravo" all night.

However, I see no reason why you can't leave the balcony door open a crack -- I've done it and no harm has befallen the ship. Of course, it's possible I caused the invasion of Ukraine and the civil strife in Syria . . . .

Which cruise were you on when these things began? Suspicious...

Just leave the sliding door open and if necessary put a towel under the passage door to stop the whistling. We love the sound of the ocean and the fresh air!:D

We like the sound of the ocean as well but there is a grill in the door and a towel on the floor is not going to prevent the whistling. The other issue is that your cabin is part of a much larger HVAC zone and leaving a balcony door impacts other cabins in that zone.

People will tell you that leaving your balcony door open creates all kinds of horrors, up to and including sinking the ship and possibly starting World War

On some other cruise lines, they have a switch which turns-off the

A/C when the balcony doors are opened. I am sure that princess

is aware of such a system, and if they felt the need, could add the switches.

What is a huge problem on cruise critic is not always a problem in real

life...

And, on coral, I was in an inside cabin, and I was so, so cold for the

entire cruise. All I wanted to do was turn off the A/C. Maintenance

came twice, and couldn't resolve. I downloaded the manual for

the thermostat, but you needed a special test device to fool with it.

Steward got me a giant robe from the spa -- it sort of helped.

LOL!

I suppose I could try a white noise app on my phone. We are lucky to live outside of Seattle and don't need to fly anywhere, so packing the fan wouldn't be too much of a hassle. Hm, I'll have to think on it. Thanks for the reply though!

I do this on my Ipad for most trips. Works great. Just make sure you download the app before you get on the ship.

Internet is iffy at best onboard.

On some other cruise lines, they have a switch which turns-off the

A/C when the balcony doors are opened. I am sure that princess

is aware of such a system, and if they felt the need, could add the switches.

What is a huge problem on cruise critic is not always a problem in real

life...

And, on coral, I was in an inside cabin, and I was so, so cold for the

entire cruise. All I wanted to do was turn off the A/C. Maintenance

came twice, and couldn't resolve. I downloaded the manual for

the thermostat, but you needed a special test device to fool with it.

Steward got me a giant robe from the spa -- it sort of helped.

You should have just opened up the vent & stuffed a towel in the duct or got some duct tape & sealed off the vent entirely.

Edited by Lovetocruiseprincess

If you have a smart phone or tablet, there's an app called White Noise. It comes with a variety of different sounds, like a fan, wind, rain, just plain white noise, etc (number depending on whether you downloaded the free version or shelled out the $2 for the full version). I have a small speaker that plugs into my phone, but phone speaker works just as we'll on its own.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We like the sound of the ocean as well but there is a grill in the door and a towel on the floor is not going to prevent the whistling. The other issue is that your cabin is part of a much larger HVAC zone and leaving a balcony door impacts other cabins in that zone.

With the little magnets we take along there is no problem covering the vent also, and talking with the Engineering Officer he said that the impact is minor, no more than setting the thermostat to off which we also do.:) Then too I am not an HVAC Engineer, but I will always have the sliding door open until they install automatic closing doors that cannot remain open. On some of the ships we have been on the A/C shuts off as soon as the door is opened. If we wanted to be sealed in we would book and interior room without even a window and save a bundle.;) On our last cruise we discovered that a louder noise was from air going through the bath door latch area into the hollow walls of the fiberglass bathroom. We got used to that noise.:rolleyes:

Edited by Holomoku

With the little magnets we take along there is no problem covering the vent also, and talking with the Engineering Officer he said that the impact is minor, no more than setting the thermostat to off which we also do.:) Then too I am not an HVAC Engineer, but I will always have the sliding door open until they install automatic closing doors that cannot remain open. On some of the ships we have been on the A/C shuts off as soon as the door is opened. If we wanted to be sealed in we would book and interior room without even a window and save a bundle.;) On our last cruise we discovered that a louder noise was from air going through the bath door latch area into the hollow walls of the fiberglass bathroom. We got used to that noise.:rolleyes:

Several observations and thoughts:

You did not mention the magnets in your original post....it was just a towel on the floor.

I have trouble believing that you would get advice from an officer which runs contrary to the notice that is on the sliding doors.

We used to leave our door open on occasion until one morning we woke up with the ceiling absolutely dripping, we were in the high humidity area of the Panama area....since then and out of respect to people in adjoining cabins our door is kept closed.

I would so very much like to have the chance to try a quiet night for sleeping. I live with constant ringing in my ears. No matter where I am or what I'm doing that $@%$ ringing is always there.

Edited by Thrak

I would so very much like to have the chance to try a quiet night for sleeping. I live with constant ringing in my ears. No matter where I am or what I'm doing that $@%$ ringing is always there.

What's that noise? Oh, it's Thrak's ears! :D I guess a white noise machine would help you then? A fan? I'll bet that aft wake is a good muffler (which I will be enjoying in 30 days!)