St Thomas_how many ships?

loveJake

Not a good day to go to Magen's Bay, I'm afraid, or take the ferry to St. John. Usually, the smallest ship tenders but if there are too many large ships, one of them may have to.

Carnival Glory, Maasdam, Royal Princess, Oasis of the Seas, Disney Fantasy, and Celebrity Reflection.

We're on the Jan 25th Regal sailing- there are 7 ships at St Thomas when we stop there! Does it matter who gets there first? Regal arrives last at 0900- Celebrity shows as a tender, but that still leaves 6 ships-

wow almost 23,000 people due in that day. Its going to be busy for sure.

We're on the Jan 25th Regal sailing- there are 7 ships at St Thomas when we stop there! Does it matter who gets there first? Regal arrives last at 0900- Celebrity shows as a tender, but that still leaves 6 ships-

Ugh, I am on that Regal Princess sailing. I have known about the 7 ships for a while now. That we are last does not sound good. On my upcoming cruise on the Crown, 28 days Hawaii and South Pacific in October, Princess upheaveled our itinerary because there were 3 ships in Moorea the same day and they said it was too congested. We got the bad deal. I would not be surprised if some ship or ships end up changing their itinerary to avoid the overcrowding in St Thomas. I hope I did the smart thing and opted for a Princess tour to St John. Normally I am a DIY or roll call private excursions person. I will likely skip Charlotte Amalie as it would not be fun with all those people and I can not imagine trying to get back to Crown Bay.

Edited by hpeabody

According to VINow website It looks like 5 ships in port that day(1/21/2015) Ruby and Allure at Crown Bay and Carnival Splendor, NCL Getaway, and Regal at West Indian Co. (Havensight). Will be a busy day. Approximately 19,000 cruisers.

The Ruby AND the Allure at Crown Bay? I dint even know they could do that. We've been at Crown Bay on the Allure, but there was a small HAL ship on the other side of the pier; ditto on the Emerald Princess when the Noordam was there. I truly thought that other side was too narrow for a ship of the Ruby's size.

That is going to be ridiculously busy.

1/7/2015 will be busy too. Allure and Ruby will again be at Crown Bay, Regal, Getaway and Conquest at West Indian Co. and NCL Gem anchoring. When ships anchor and tender in, does anyone know where they drop off the passengers? Doesn't affect me because we will be at West Indian but we've never had to tender at this port so I was curious. Always good to know how many ships in port with you for planning purposes.

Actually, to tender in St. Thomas is not the end of the world, if your intent is to do something right in downtown Charlotte Amalie, as the tender dock is right at the waterfront there. Most ships anchor just about as far out in the harbor as the third ship at Havensight is docked; however, when the Emerald Princess had thruster issues last winter, we tendered from beyond Hassel Island. The whole tender process took about an hour each way then.

Actually, to tender in St. Thomas is not the end of the world, if your intent is to do something right in downtown Charlotte Amalie, as the tender dock is right at the waterfront there. Most ships anchor just about as far out in the harbor as the third ship at Havensight is docked; however, when the Emerald Princess had thruster issues last winter, we tendered from beyond Hassel Island. The whole tender process took about an hour each way then.

I agree, we have tendered there before, however since we have a ship excursion @12:30, I wanted to shop, return to ship and eat lunch brfore the excursion, with a tender there is not enough time, excursion leaves from the dock.

Colo Cruiser, I was going to say the exact same thing.. FYI, we're also from CO. The SS Norway was our first cruise back in 1995. The Norway dropped us off on a tender at St Johns & then sailed to her tender position at St Thomas. It was rather disconcerting to watch your ship sail away....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Ruby AND the Allure at Crown Bay? I dint even know they could do that. We've been at Crown Bay on the Allure, but there was a small HAL ship on the other side of the pier; ditto on the Emerald Princess when the Noordam was there. I truly thought that other side was too narrow for a ship of the Ruby's size.

An officer on emerald told me that only one side of the crown bay

pier had enough draft for a grand class ship.

So, I find Allure+Ruby there suspicious as well.

But, maybe this will help:

http://virginislandsdailynews.com/news/dejongh-signs-bills-clearing-way-for-crown-bay-dredging-capital-projects-1.1725135

Earlier proposal:

http://www.naylornetwork.com/aap-nwl/articles/index.asp?aid=216592&issueID=33234

An officer on emerald told me that only one side of the crown bay

pier had enough draft for a grand class ship.

So, I find Allure+Ruby there suspicious as well.

But, maybe this will help:

http://virginislandsdailynews.com/news/dejongh-signs-bills-clearing-way-for-crown-bay-dredging-capital-projects-1.1725135

Earlier proposal:

http://www.naylornetwork.com/aap-nwl/articles/index.asp?aid=216592&issueID=33234

That explains it, thanks very much. That was always a perk of being at Crown Bay...it just felt less crowded than Havensight. I guess it was too good to last. Regardless of dockage capability, 9000 passengers plus crew are going to overwhelm that small area.

There's also going to be 5 October 29th for our Royal cruise:

Allure of the Seas @ Crown Bay (arrives 10am)

Carnival Conquest @ Havensight (arrives 11am)

Norwegian Getaway @ Havensight (arrives 8am)

Royal Princess @ Havensight (arrives 8am)

Westerdam @ Crown Bay (arrives 8am)

Sounds like it's going to be a busy day for us as well...

On the Mediterranea back in '07 we were on the north side of the pier with the Caribbean Princess on the south side, and both are nominally 8 meter draft.

20070419_075722

The below site says 27.5' for ruby and 25.7' for Mediterranea.

http://www.shipdetective.com/ships/princess_ruby.htm

http://www.shipdetective.com/ships/costa_mediterranea.htm