50 min lay over

josumello

Getting ready to book return flight from Stockholm to US. One option is Stockholm to JFK. We would have a change over Stockholm to Berlin with only a 50 min layover before boarding to JFK. Is this doable?? I am leery but supposedly Berlin is a small airport where this short layover is fairly common. Any thoughts ??

Thanks

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Not all countries make pre-security clearance before boarding a US bound flight. I am not sure if they do that in Sweden / Germany but I doubt it.

Anyway, I would not do that, Berlin Tegel is a small yet uncomfortable airport in my opinion, you may have to go through security if you change terminals I believe.

Edited by Elmartellama

Getting ready to book return flight from Stockholm to US. One option is Stockholm to JFK. We would have a change over Stockholm to Berlin with only a 50 min layover before boarding to JFK. Is this doable?? I am leery but supposedly Berlin is a small airport where this short layover is fairly common. Any thoughts ??

If both legs are the same ticket and same carrier/alliance not a problem at all- assuming it is AirBerlin.

Not all countries make pre-security clearance before boarding a US bound flight. I am not sure if they do that in Sweden / Germany but I doubt it.

Anyway, I would not do that, Berlin Tegel is a small yet uncomfortable airport in my opinion, you may have to go through security if you change terminals I believe.

The US requires US direct flights to do extra security. Having experienced it in Germany, Germany absolutely does perform the extra security.

But do they do that at Tegel airport? The boarding area of the flight is extremely small there!

So a bad guy can escape the extra security by flying from a small airport? I don't think so. The extra security is an extra step. It doesn't take any room, really. But it can take time. Our last one involved standing in line for about 30 minutes at the gate, at FRA.

Same carrier or not 50 min is a very short time and lots of things could go wrong on the way.

Sure, but if purchasing a ticket including a stop, the airline would not sell it and then let the passengers behind - also checked luggage - I guess that many of the passages at the STO flight, are at the JFK connection also!

- so I would absolutely have NO problem with the 50 minutes in TXL flying AirBerlin.

I did arrive late once from Copenhagen and made the flight - and I was certainly not the only one passage for that transfer:)

There is no common security queue at Tegel but C-terminal has its own check in and security as does the D-terminal, and as I understand it every gate in the A terminal has its own check-in, security, little waiting hall and tax free.

http://www.berlin-airport.de/en/travellers-txl/at-the-airport/airport-map/index.php