P&O Flag

lake5298

They havent been painted yet and when I asked Christopher Edgington on the recent Q&A on Cruisecritic he failed to give an answer.

It's got to be sensitive - if Scotland gains independence P&O could easily offend potential passengers whichever flag they paint on the ships - we might see news reports saying "not enough dry dock time to paint flag"

Of course, if Independence does not happen, the flag ceases to be a hot potato.

Personally, I quite like the look of the red and white flag...

Edited by lake5298

I suppose it could actually be a bit of a headache for P&O. If it is a Yes vote, and there's enough opinion that the Union Flag does need changing, then no doubt it'll take months and months of deliberation and endless focus groups to get a new design approved (maybe even a referendum on which one we have).

Which then means that P&O would have to wait before getting the paint out. No point painting the current flag if they think it could become obsolete.

Then there's the other school of thought that, even with a Yes vote, the flag will remain the same.

If P&O were proud enough of their UK heritage to brand their ships with the UK flag why would they change it unless the UK changed its flag. Frankly I cannot see why any government would wish to ditch hundreds of years of history and one of the most valuable brand logos in the world just because a small percentage of the population circa 2.5 million from nearly 70 did not share P&O's pride in being a part of the UK so why should or would P&O change their plans. I wonder if celebrity will repaint

their funnels and change their flags?

Edited by scifimonkey

If P&O were proud enough of their UK heritage to brand their ships with the UK flag why would they change it unless the UK changed its flag. Frankly I cannot see why any government would wish to ditch hundreds of years of history and one of the most valuable brand logos in the world just because a small percentage of the population circa 2.5 million from nearly 70 did not share P&O's pride in being a part of the UK so why should or would P&O change their plans. I wonder if celebrity will repaint

their funnels and change their flags?

They would have to change it if Scotland became independent because the blue in the Union Flag is flag of St Andrews and therefore because they would no longer be in the UK how can their flag be part of the Union Flag.

It was the flag of the United Kingdom and so cannot stay the same if Scotland are not part of it.

And we would still be the Union of England, Wales and Northern Island. Everyone knows the flag, there would be no reason to change it.

Now it is time for The UK Goverment to sort the "West Lothian " question. In a modern devolved UK, MPs not representing English Constituencies should not be allowed to vote in Matters which only concern England. In fact England should and must now have its own Parliment it is only fair and I as a very proud Scot and British would fully support that.

Now it is time for The UK Goverment to sort the "West Lothian " question. In a modern devolved UK, MPs not representing English Constituencies should not be allowed to vote in Matters which only concern England. In fact England should and must now have its own Parliment it is only fair and I as a very proud Scot and British would fully support that.

I totally agree with the above.

Well said, So proud to be both a Scot and British. Scotland have opened the door for a devolved UK.

This isn't as easy as it sounds.

If a Labour government came in, they would have problems getting their own 'English' policies through as many of their MP's represent Scottish or Welsh constituents and wouldn't be able to vote. The opposition parties could therefore make a majority and be able to defeat them.