Which cabin do you choose and why...

kandj05

Only been on 6 cruises and except for Vision class, mid ship mid level - based on recommendation of TA before our first cruise. Always booked an E1, usually deck 8, but last cruise we were in a deck 7 D1. If we are in our room then we are out on the balcony so I could care less about the difference between a D and a E - love seat is fine for us. I'd love to try a JS but the price difference has always been more than it's worth to me. I love the balcony and would choose fewer cruises if I had to make a choice. I need a place to enjoy some peace and quiet, away from the commotion, where I don't have to look for a chair or worry about my stuff.

[quote name='kandj05']A lot of people are posting about the aft rooms? Would someone please explain what is special about them? Is the room bigget, the balcony larger, etc? Do you smell the engine at all?[/quote]
The balcony is usually much larger. You don't smell the engines, but you might feel more vibration, and some report occasional soot.

There is no 'engine smell"!! Lol!

We book at the min. a JS...it's most like a hotel room. I think ship cabins are way too small. When I'm on vacation, I don't want to "downgrade" my comfort, so a JS is quite nice. Big room, larger bath (with a tub) and the closet on most ships is great!

You don't pay that "suite price (or get all the suite perks), but for the savings above the price of a real suite, we can certainly pay for those things....drinks, etc.! That's the only real "monetary" perk of a GS or above...the drinks in the CL for a couple hours in the evening!

[quote name='Attapooch']Grand Suites and above for us for a couple of reasons:

1.) The wife likes the bigger cabins.
2.) Access to the concierge lounge.
3.) The double C&A sea points.
4.) All the other perks of having the gold card like the reserved chairs on the pool deck, dedicated check-in line, etc.

It's all those little things that add up to make the extra cost worthwhile.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Black"]Count me in as well and for all of the above reasons.[/COLOR]

[quote name='cb at sea']There is no 'engine smell"!! Lol!

We book at the min. a JS...it's most like a hotel room. I think ship cabins are way too small. When I'm on vacation, I don't want to "downgrade" my comfort, so a JS is quite nice. Big room, larger bath (with a tub) and the closet on most ships is great!

You don't pay that "suite price (or get all the suite perks), but for the savings above the price of a real suite, we can certainly pay for those things....drinks, etc.! That's the only real "monetary" perk of a GS or above...the drinks in the CL for a couple hours in the evening![/quote]

As a Pinnacle Club member, your statement of the "real "monetary" perk" is out the window, so to speak.

We choose to cruise in GS's and above, for the most part, because of the real estate. Lately, we are starting to cruise in JS's, because the price difference is horrendous.........not the way it used to be.:rolleyes:

Rick

[quote name='kohlepe']How do you check for price drop? Is it on RCI website? Sorry new to cruising. :confused:[/QUOTE]

I am new too, but after reading about it, this is what I did. I would periodically (once a day to every couple days) reprice my cruise (booked 6 weeks out) on RCI's website as though it were a new cruise. Nothing...nothing...and then this last Friday morning the JS guarantee price was the same as I had paid for the balcony guarantee. I called RCI as I hadn't booked through a TA this time and nicely asked if it were possible to switch. I figured the worst they could say was no. It was okay, and I received the JS for the same price. I did lose a $25 pp OBC though. It works a little differently before the final payment date, but I'm not sure how.

On the flip side, checking on my September 2015 New England cruise has merely convinced me that booking 18 months out was the right thing to do.

There are online checkers that look for price drops, too, but this seems to work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Personally I prefer Deck 10 at least with a balcony. I can not cope with the though of having an inside room. I enjoy the sound of the ocean if the door is open and the ability just to enjoy the views from the balcony. (This was a plus point when we were on Radiance of the Seas and saw Hubbards Glacier. No other people in the shots!).

For out next cruise a 3 night, DH booked an inside cabin but I just had to upgrade!:rolleyes:

We have had two cruises on deck 10 with balcony one near the front and one near the back. Enjoyed being near the front because you could see what the captain and crew were doing and how they docked etc. being at the back was lovely too because there was hardly any people coming past your cabin. :)

I would never book a cabin near the lifts of stairs as the constant beeping from the lids and people coming at all times would wind me up as I don't sleep well at the best of times.:mad:

however next year we have decided to opt for a JS on Serenade of the Seas which is right at the back corner of the ship on deck 10 and I really can not wait to experience how different this will be. Mother and father in law have took the other JS on the other side too. We are all looking forward to being able to dine in our cabins!

We only cruise every other year and tend to do something land based on the alternating years so we like to splash out and cruise in style.;)

Happy cruising all :)

[quote name='skatermegs']Since I cruise with my mom most often, I try to choose rooms close to elevators and more mid-ship when possible. I have never noticed added noise from the elevators, but I have definitely noticed added grumpiness when the walk to the room is super long! :p
My few cruises were all ocean view (extremely claustrophobic) and then we took a trip to Alaska. After much study I determined that the only way to see a glacier is from your own personal balcony-and so balcony it was! I loved it, and spent hours out there just reading and enjoying my own private world. So, balconies it is! I would love to do a JS-but only if the price drop allows for it. Speaking of which-how often do you check for price drops? I usually check once a week after booking, Wednesday or Thursday. I also keep a chart marking increases and decreases; but that just goes with my obsessive planning.
Megan[/QUOTE]
Where will I find the price drops on my already booked cruise?

[quote name='kandj05']A lot of people are posting about the aft rooms? Would someone please explain what is special about them? Is the room bigget, the balcony larger, etc? Do you smell the engine at all?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]
Had a sky suite aft cabin on Celebrity. LOVED the cabin. It was huge, wonderful views. No smells at all. The balcony was long but narrow. I was worried about motion, but not at all a problem. The Cc suites next door were smaller, but had great good sized balconies. Two negatives, a long walk to elevators, no aft elevators on the solstice class, and I prefer covered balconies as the aft balcony was very sunny all day.

[quote name='pema']Where will I find the price drops on my already booked cruise?[/quote]
Do a mock booking on Royal's website, selecting the same category stateroom that you have. Be sure to make the appropriate selections with regard to Senior, Residence, Military, etc.

It depends on the fare and itinerary.

Normally, we target a JS (for the double points, large walk-in closets and extra space). If the price is slightly more, we will go ahead and take the leap for a GS - although we prefer the storage space in the JS over the extra space in the GS.

If the suites are astronomical, we will sail in a balcony cabin. Sailed once in an interior and need to see outside and have that balcony to relax and watch "the world go by". I can sit on the balcony for hours in the evening just relaxing.

[quote name='kandj05']Hello! For those who have been cruising with RCI, how do you choose which level cabin you want?

I know for my DH and I, we like a room with a balcony because you will often find us sitting on it. We may be reading a book, having a drink, looking over the edge, or just relaxing. We also prefer mid ship, if possible.

I also have D+ friends who choose to take the cheapest room available. This allows them the luxury of taking several cruises a year.

What is your criteria when choosing your cabin?

Jackie

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]

I guess you haven't read my thread from "Cabin selection tips"...read this and you'll understand:

[url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1947393[/url]

Look at all the responses and read what they say..a balcony COMPLETELY CHANGES your cruise experience from a dark, sullen mole to a sun filled, see the waves, feel & smell the salt air, and most important- the "CONNECTION" to the sea is there..it is NOT there in your broom closet...

Big Al

[quote name='kandj05']A lot of people are posting about the aft rooms? Would someone please explain what is special about them? Is the room bigget, the balcony larger, etc? Do you smell the engine at all?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app[/quote]

Yes, the aft balconies are larger, especially if you get a corner aft cabin. On these the balcony wraps around the corner, so essentially you have a view of two directions instead of just one, and plenty of room for lounge chairs. I have JS 8088 (port side aft corner) on Vision in a couple of days, so I'll post some pictures after I'm back.

Here's a link to a short video I found of JS 8588 (starboard side corner aft, a mirror image of JS 8088), which will give you an idea of how big the balcony is...

[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yoj5jUrwjYI[/URL]

Happy cruising!

We started cruising staying in insides and were completely happy doing so. The past couple cruises we stayed in balconies, once for Alaska, the others for price breaks. We enjoyed the balcony but it is not a must have for us. As for location we try for something close to the elevators due to DW's mobilty issues

[quote name='CRUISEBOY305']I'm one of the ones who book the cheapest room available and do several a year. But that's just me. Occasionally I'll book a balcony or a suite. And a number of times I've booked an inside and the balcony prices end up going so cheap I upgrade.[/quote]

Same here!
It also depends on what ship we cruise.

Our default category is a GS. Depending on availability we will occasionally book a OS or JS. It is just the wife and I now so we don't necessarily need a lot of room but we enjoy more luxurious accommodations. Also if the itinerary includes Labadee we will only do a GS or higher as we enjoy a cabana on Barefoot beach. Also with 2x points we made it to Diamond in less than six years.

We have had a suite on every cruise we've ever taken except one and that was a 5 night to Bermuda. On RCI, we've had both JS and GS and we always book mid-ship usually on the highest deck (except Allure where we were on deck 10). We like the space and having a shower/tub combo.

[quote name='TheInnocentAge']Yes, the aft balconies are larger, especially if you get a corner aft cabin. On these the balcony wraps around the corner, so essentially you have a view of two directions instead of just one, and plenty of room for lounge chairs. I have JS 8088 (port side aft corner) on Vision in a couple of days, so I'll post some pictures after I'm back.

Here's a link to a short video I found of JS 8588 (starboard side corner aft, a mirror image of JS 8088), which will give you an idea of how big the balcony is...

[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yoj5jUrwjYI[/URL]

Happy cruising![/QUOTE]
I just saw the video of the JS on the aft part of the VOS. My DH and I are going to have to try to get one of these rooms on one of our future cruises. Thanks for sharing the video!!

Jackie

[quote name='kandj05']I just saw the video of the JS on the aft part of the VOS. My DH and I are going to have to try to get one of these rooms on one of our future cruises. Thanks for sharing the video!!

Jackie[/quote]

You're welcome, Jackie! There's also a link in post #67 above that is all about aft cabins...

Have fun cruising!

[quote name='big al']I guess you haven't read my thread from "Cabin selection tips"...read this and you'll understand:

[url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1947393[/url]

Look at all the responses and read what they say..a balcony COMPLETELY CHANGES your cruise experience from a dark, sullen mole to a sun filled, see the waves, feel & smell the salt air, and most important- the "CONNECTION" to the sea is there..it is NOT there in your broom closet...

Big Al[/QUOTE]
Big Al.

Great description of the different rooms you have stayed in. I totally agree! My DH and I stayed in an inside room one time and that was enough. It is balcony or JS for us!

Jackie