No drug store on board

PAPERBKWRITER

With no way of purchasing everyday medicine cabinet items on board we always bring a supply of "whatever" and hope we don't need anything. Seems like there would be a demand for these products, but I've never seen anything like that on any cruise ship. Have I missed something?

Depending on the ship, it is usually where you buy Cigarettes and Alcohol (I guess all "DRUGS" together, however it is a small inventory to choose from and about triple the co$t.

I keep those sorts of things in my travel bag ready to go so I don't need to buy anything like that on the ship.

IF you need small items like bandaids or antiseptic or aspirin you can also get that at the infirmary.

It would be difficult for the ship to carry a full line of pharmacy products.

They have some meds and toiletries for purchase in gift shop, but they are very expensive and it's more or less for people who forgot something or something arises that they didn't expect. I definitely pack extra meds and things like that just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As for the ladies items, when I looked there was one kind available.

And probably not the kind most people want.

We forgot deodorant once.

They had only one kind and it was in a perfume line and was eleven dollars for a very small container.

So yeah, it is best to pack a bit some stuff that you might need.

Be prepared and all that.

If you go to Walmart or Walgreens, you can find mini bottles of most needed items. Good prices too. Like Tylenol, some deodorants, some toothpaste, bandaids, shampoo, shaving cream, powder, and other meds. Packing the tiny bottles takes up very little room.

If you go to Walmart or Walgreens, you can find mini bottles of most needed items. Good prices too. Like Tylenol, some deodorants, some toothpaste, bandaids, shampoo, shaving cream, powder, and other meds. Packing the tiny bottles takes up very little room.

At Bed, Bath & Beyond, there is a very large selection of travel size items at the same prices as WalMart, Walgreens. etc.

With no way of purchasing everyday medicine cabinet items on board we always bring a supply of "whatever" and hope we don't need anything. Seems like there would be a demand for these products, but I've never seen anything like that on any cruise ship. Have I missed something?

While the gift shop on board does have a few high-priced items, the infirmary has most types of over-the-counter medicines at much cheaper prices than the gift shop. Just be sure you visit when they are open. I had to visit once to get some cough syrup when I came down with a bug after boarding the ship, and the price was just a little more than I'd expect to pay for a similar generic robitussin at a drug store. You don't have to see a nurse or doctor to get OTC drugs. Just ask for what you need and they will charge your Sail and Sign account. You can usually get motion sickness pills for free too from the Guest Services desk. Or at least you could last time I checked.

I highly recommend bringing aloe/sunburn relief. On our last cruise after a day in cozumel, and my sunscreen wearing off, I was a lobster. Broke down and bought aloe on the ship. The Pricetag? $15.00! I now refer to it as liquid gold.

I always see that stuff stocked in the gift shops on ships. It costs an arm and a leg but it's usually available. I guess they have more advanced stuff in the infirmary but I really don't think I would want to go anywhere near that for minor stuff.

While the gift shop on board does have a few high-priced items, the infirmary has most types of over-the-counter medicines at much cheaper prices than the gift shop. Just be sure you visit when they are open. I had to visit once to get some cough syrup when I came down with a bug after boarding the ship, and the price was just a little more than I'd expect to pay for a similar generic robitussin at a drug store. You don't have to see a nurse or doctor to get OTC drugs. Just ask for what you need and they will charge your Sail and Sign account. You can usually get motion sickness pills for free too from the Guest Services desk. Or at least you could last time I checked.
just be sure not to ask for any meds that they may suspect a gastrointestinal virus/illness. May make you stay in cabin 24 hrs.

Instead of buying many travel toiletries we will repackage them.

Liquids can be decanted into smaller bottles, eye drop containers or even old contact lens cases.

Blister packed meds are put into ziplock bags with their directions cut out of the boxes

Other pills are put into old Dramamine tubes. Of course properly labeled.

I had severely chapped lips once and wanted something stronger than a chapstick. I ended up buying a 3 pack shea butter infused lip balm from one of the make-up counters. It was great. Price? $37

I always take zinc oxide and/or Desitin now, a strong antacid like Nexium, an antihistamine, Lysine (for cold sore prevention) )and probiotics. I take Miralax for the kids, too. In my bag at home (and on board) I always travel with aspirin, motrin, benadryl gel caps, albuterol inhaler (I have actually used this one to help a pregnant woman having an asthma attack) and cough drops. Coming from a medical background I probably take too much, but I also started carrying an epi pen due to the remote areas we have recently been and the possible insect/allergen exposure (there are two of us with asthma). I did get glycerine suppositories for one of the boys when he was 3 from the ship's infirmary...not sure what that cost! I have also visited the drug store in Mexico for something if we needed it along the way.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The day before we ported in St Maarten, I came down with a head cold. Went to the ship's store and they basically had nothing other than asprin. When we got to St Maarten, we walked to a grocery store and walked up and down the aisles for fifteen minutes looking for some sort of decongestant. Finally we ask where they keep the OTC drugs. They don't sell health and beauty aids in grocery stores there. We had to go to a drug store. When we got there, everything OTC was behind the pharmacist counter. Strange island.

A couple of years ago my wife got a cold on the 2nd half of our cruise. They had NyQuil and DayQuil in the store but it was like $18 for a 12 pack. I'd suggest bringing an emergency medicine kit of your own. No we go armed with Excedrin, ibuprofen, tums, imodium, sunscreen, aloe, cold medicine (just in case) and some bandaids.

Edited by ThirstyFrog203

OMG, I didn't know the infirmary carried OTC! 6 cruises and still learning something new. Thank you for sharing. :)

It may seem like overkill for some, but I bring something for most all common ailments. I started doing this after our first cruise. We needed some cough drops and we had to drop $5 for a small pack of like 8-10 halls cough drops. I swore never again after that lol.

The day before we ported in St Maarten, I came down with a head cold. Went to the ship's store and they basically had nothing other than asprin. When we got to St Maarten, we walked to a grocery store and walked up and down the aisles for fifteen minutes looking for some sort of decongestant. Finally we ask where they keep the OTC drugs. They don't sell health and beauty aids in grocery stores there. We had to go to a drug store. When we got there, everything OTC was behind the pharmacist counter. Strange island.

Not strange, just European.

Then there's two different kinds of drug stores- red cross and green cross.