New stateroom type on Koningsdam?

3ssn

On the decks 10 & 11 of the new Koningsdam, there are what looks like Verandah staterooms, but the separators between the staterooms are not shown on the pictures. Looks like some kind of Lanai-staterooms (with a shared balcony) on the top decks? Or maybe French balconies (sliding doors but no actual balcony)?

442601260_LalaiorFrench.jpg.a98a916ede4fbe9a1b84ab63f9594fba.jpg

They could be anything. That set of decks looks like an afterthought, just plopped down on top of a fairly normal-looking ship.

Before I saw the large photo, I thought they were balcony cabins and I wondered if they were going to be a separate enclave, like NCL's Haven. I suppose the dividers could simply be missing in this rendering. Or maybe it isn't cabins at all. Specialty restaurants? Come to think of it, with all those balconies, where would the restaurants be? If they're on the promenade deck, there won't be any fighting for a window table, not with the lifeboats where they are.

Not as bad as the Norwegian Epic!

Thank you for posting that. I could not remember the ship with the strange extra decks, but I thought it was NCL. The first time I saw a picture of the Epic, I thought somebody had photoshopped a building onto a ship as a joke.

Koningsdam doesn't look as bad, but I think those extra decks look odd.

The top decks above the Bridge remind me of what was added to Carnival Destiny when she became Carnival Sunshine. On Sunshine, they are veranda cabins, but spa veranda cabins.

We need deck plans! Everything else is just sheer speculation, including all of the discussion about a Promenade Deck or the lack thereof.

That would be one of the smartest things HAL could do.

I agree. As I new solo traveler, I am not liking 200% for the Neptune Suite I've always sailed in. :( After more than 80 HAL cruises, it's hard to try a different cabin at this point but a solo cabin with a verandah I might try.

I agree. As I new solo traveler, I am not liking 200% for the Neptune Suite I've always sailed in. :( After more than 80 HAL cruises, it's hard to try a different cabin at this point but a solo cabin with a verandah I might try.

S7S:

I was able to stomach the 200% by realizing that I would have paid the same amount if my late husband was with me. I like to think he is traveling along "in spirit".

Have there been any rumors of solo cabins?

Unless there's been a major change there was no plan to add single rooms. There's been talk about rooms holding more than 4 but the details I've heard haven't really made much sense

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unless there's been a major change there was no plan to add single rooms. There's been talk about rooms holding more than 4 but the details I've heard haven't really made much sense

I seem to have much more vacation time than most of my friends, and I'm booked on my first solo cruise in December. I'm sure it won't be the last, so I'd like more lines to adopt solo cabins. It's too bad for me that HAL isn't building any on Koningsdam. I guess I'll just have to set my sights on Queen Elizabeth or the Quantum-class trio. (Aside from Norwegian, of course.)

S7S:

I was able to stomach the 200% by realizing that I would have paid the same amount if my late husband was with me. I like to think he is traveling along "in spirit".

Great attitude jaspersmycat. If I lost my DH and still wanted to cruise, I'd feel the same way.

I'm thinking they could be balconies, as you can see the plexiglass but they look awful small and I see no dividers.

Guess we'll have to wait and see the plans for these cabins.

attachment.php?attachmentid=325264&d=1410800753

Perhaps these decks aren't cabins at all. Perhaps they hold an enlarged Spa or fitness center. Looks like it's at the front of the pool deck.

The articles I've seen speak of a more contemporary ship.

So, if HAL seeks a younger crowd, the decks could be a nightclub and (like so many other lines) a grouping of extra-cost restaurants ala the Celebrity S Class ships where several restaurants share one big lobby.

As KK said, we'll have to wait for real deck plans.

Cheers!

Edited by AZNative2000