RCL Ships - Help!!!!

Unfortunately I took my first ever cruise in 2013 aboard the Oasis of the Seas with my 2 adult daughters. This October we are sailing aboard the Allure. Both of them told me we'd be to spoiled to sail on anything other than an Oasis Class Ship. And in looking for another cruise that certainly has happened to us. I don't think I'm interested in the Quantum at all, but not positive. I also don't want to wait until Oasis Class ship 3 is built.

We would like to do something other than Eastern or Western Caribbean. But, what is the next size ship down from Oasis Class. I don't want to sail on a small ship or be limited by the entertainment options aboard. Also, I want something that has been updated as far as cabins and decor.

We would like to do the Southern Caribbean possible.

Please give me your best options for our next cruise. Thanks :p;):D

Well the next class down from Oasis class (excluding Quantum) are the Freedom class (Freedom, Independence and Liberty) ships. They have Flowriders, Rock Climbing but not sure you'll get much more than the standard Eastern and Western Caribbean itineraries. We really like that class though.

The largest Royal ship doing Southern Caribbean on a regular basis is Adventure our of San Juan.

Explorer is doing a few Southern Caribbean cruises out of Port Canaveral later this year and early next year. Same size as Adventure.

I believe a Vision class ship (much smaller than Adventure) is also doing some Southern Caribbean itineraries out of either Ft. Lauderdale or Tampa.

Try a Radiance or Voyage Class, Radiance Class doesn't have all the Bells & Whistles like the Oasis or Freedom Classes but they do offer fabulous views of the ocean with top occupancy, #2500. A Voyager Class is just a little shorter then the Freedom Class but offers a little more then the Radiance Class Ships. We enjoy Radiance Class thru Freedom.

The largest Royal ship doing Southern Caribbean on a regular basis is Adventure our of San Juan.

Explorer is doing a few Southern Caribbean cruises out of Port Canaveral later this year and early next year. Same size as Adventure.

I believe a Vision class ship (much smaller than Adventure) is also doing some Southern Caribbean itineraries out of either Ft. Lauderdale or Tampa.

Explorer in her current condition after Oasis and Allure?????? I would advise taking the Jewel instead. :)

A completely different ship experience that will stand up better to the comparison.

The Freedom of the Seas has some awesome reviews and it is beautiful! I couldn't afford the Oasis so I rebooked on the Indepence and am told it is the sister ship to the Freedom so I should not be disappointed. You should love price on the Freedom and perhaps will want to get a cabin category or two higher than what you had on the oasis. You can't go wrong with Freedom!

I know you said you wanted southern caribbean though...I did the typical Eastern Caribbean...but wanted to sail and stay on the ship. the itinerary was not important to me.

Unfortunately I took my first ever cruise in 2013 aboard the Oasis of the Seas with my 2 adult daughters. This October we are sailing aboard the Allure. Both of them told me we'd be to spoiled to sail on anything other than an Oasis Class Ship. And in looking for another cruise that certainly has happened to us. I don't think I'm interested in the Quantum at all, but not positive. I also don't want to wait until Oasis Class ship 3 is built.

We would like to do something other than Eastern or Western Caribbean. But, what is the next size ship down from Oasis Class. I don't want to sail on a small ship or be limited by the entertainment options aboard. Also, I want something that has been updated as far as cabins and decor.

We would like to do the Southern Caribbean possible.

Please give me your best options for our next cruise. Thanks :p;):D

Well if you want a nice adult experience and care about luxurious surroundings with lots to do and amazing dining (with a better all inclusive drink package offering) - I suggest RCCL's sister line Celebrity. They offer some great Southern Caribbean itineraries (10+ days) on their solstice class. This is my favourite at sea and I think they will hold up.

If you want to stick with RCCL - I second Liberty class - Freedom, Independence or Liberty. They all are a nice ship (less kid stuff) and still hold up well to the Oasis standard.

That said, Adventure is one of my favorite ships out of San Juan for a southern cruise - She is smaller and homier but still delivers an excellent experience.

I second the Freedom class. Nice Solarium, good sized Royal Promenade, Flowrider, awesome "adult" hot tubs that extend over the side.

Don't get me wrong, Radiance class ships are nice too, but coming from the Oasis class you might find the Freedom more "familiar" as it shares many of the same amenities. I choose Adventure (Freedom) over Jewel (Radiance) next March for the reasons I just mentioned, even though I've been on Jewel twice and have no complaints.

As others have said Celebrity is a possibility too, certainly if you want some different Caribbean routes (mainly length though, as the ports are similar to Royal). Once I hit Diamond I'll probably give Celebrity a try just to change things up (and their rates/promos aren't bad either).

I have sailed the Eastern and Western itineraries on the Allure. I no longer need to sail on any Oasis class ship. We are currently booked on the Liberty of the Seas sailing to Bermuda and are looking forward to a smaller ship. Yes the Oasis class ships are fantastic because there are many things to do, but it took us 2 sailings to experience everything. So looking forward to the Liberty.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Hubby and I sailed Allure in 2012 and Freedom Jan 2013, we thought for sure we we're spoiled by Allure and we were, but we still absolutely loved the Freedom! Adventure is smaller than Freedom and does southern caribbean out of San Juan... Sailed her 5 times and loved it although these were all before Allure and Freedom...however the itinerary is amazing and it still has the Promenade and is a great ship. Also did Serenade sister to Jewel out of San Juan to Southern Caribbean... Smaller but gorgeous class of ship and amazing itinerary. I say you can't go wrong with any Royal Cruise! We are back in Allure in Jan and can't wait!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We've been doing Oasis class alot lately, but the Flowrider retrofit to the Navigator put the Voyager class (2 levels down from Oasis) back on our radar. We loved the Navigator in the spring, and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Southern Caribbean has always been my favorite, and I'm still waiting for Royal to put a flowrider ship on an Aruba/Curacao itinerary (Adventure doesn't have one). My hopes got up when I saw Explorer was doing a Southern Caribbean itinerary early next year, but I figured out that was before it goes into dry-dock to get a flowrider :mad:.

We did a med cruise on Celebrity Equinox (Solstice class) last summer, and while the ship was beautiful and the food and service were great, we didn't like the entertainment at all and were bored most of the time on the ship. Luckily it was a port-intensive cruise, so we had other things to keep us occupied.

Stick with the Freedom Class ships. Esp the ones out of Ft Lauderdale and Miami.

Stay far away from the Brilliance or any of the smaller ships with kids. No fun for them.

I love the Voyager class ships to. Id never go on a ship smaller than that again. Ill never make that mistake again

You can't have both unfortunately :-(

Trust me, I'm in your same boat. We love oasis/allure and did independence of the seas after that, it's a freedom class (1 step down from oasis) and while it was a nice ship we really missed oasis!

But like you we want something new, and want to do a southern route.

The only options RCI has down there is adventure or jewel. Both of those are even smaller than freedom class.

So, what's one to do???

My suggestion, look at independence of the seas 8 day eastern route. Why? It is the newest ship before oasis! It's one drop down. And that route gives you a lot of the islands you would get on a southern route: st. Kitts, San Juan, will both be new for you.

We love RCI and have been on both Freedom and Independence of the Seas (just this past January) and think those ships are great.

Our first love is Allure of the Seas!

But, if you are really interested in Southern Caribbean, than I would agree with an earlier post about Celebrity Solstice class.

We just got back from a sailing on Solstice and she is just as good, if not slightly better, than a Freedom class ship. A bit smaller, but more refined.

The lawn club and sunset bar are great, as are the Crush Martini Bar and Molecular Bar. We thought the food was much better in the Oceanview Cafe (the buffet) when compared to RCI's Windjammer. The MDR on Celebrity was a bit more variable. Some things better than RCI, some things worse. We did not do a specialty restaurant, but did try the crepes in Bistro on Five.

We would definitely do another Solstice sailing again, so do check out those ships as the size is right and the service was phenomenal.

This is rather like saying "I Loved the Fontainebleau in Miami, but I want to go to Niagara Falls. Will I be satisfied with the Fallsview Hilton?"

Every cruise is different and exploring new options gives you a chance to try something you've never tried before. The southern itineraries are unsurpassed in the experiences they offer and the ships that sail them will offer you a classy on-board experience. Read a few reviews and explore what people say about the various ships that sail those itineraries. Figure out whether their likes and dislikes coincide with yours and then take the plunge.

I don't fly home after a cruise focusing on what a cruise ship failed to offer. I focus on the experiences that I had that I really enjoyed, because every ship offers something incredibly unique. Because if you don't try something else, how will you know what you really like?