Passport Required on closed loop cruise

suznjune

Just received notice from HAL, thru TA that a passport is needed for our Panama Canal cruise that stops in Costa Rica, whether passenger goes ashore or not. This is a closed loop cruise FLL to FLL. Good thing my 82 yr old Mom has applied for her first passport.:p

Just received notice from HAL, thru TA that a passport is needed for our Panama Canal cruise that stops in Costa Rica, whether passenger goes ashore or not. This is a closed loop cruise FLL to FLL. Good thing my 82 yr old Mom has applied for her first passport.:p

Unless there has be a VERY recent change, someone dropped the ball here. I would check again - but then if you have a passport the information does not matter.

It's always a good thing to have passport in case of the unexpected. To paraphrase an old slogan, "Don't leave the country without one!"

While I agree that having a passport is preferred, I don't think the cruise referenced requires one.

It is possible it is not a U.S. or HAL rule, it could be a new Costa Rica rule.

I have done that cruise several times in the past and though we had passports, we did not

need them.

Times have changed. Perhaps this is one of those changes?

Edited by sail7seas

I got the same notice at the time of booking and again last week. Zuiderdam PC cruise in Oct.

DaveOKC

We had the same information forwarded by our travel agent. All FLL-FLL voyages visiting Costa Rica require a passport, whether planning to go ashore or not. We are sailing the Zuiderdam on October 27, 2014-Panama Canal Sunfarer.

Thanks. :)

That's a wonderful cruise. We liked it so much we did it several times.

We had the same information forwarded by our travel agent. All FLL-FLL voyages visiting Costa Rica require a passport, whether planning to go ashore or not. We are sailing the Zuiderdam on October 27, 2014-Panama Canal Sunfarer.

This is true and actually went into effect almost 2 yrs ago. I now of people that had to get a rush passport about a year ago and I too was shocked and found where Costa Rico started to require it in early 2013.

CRUISE DETAILS

Embark Date: Oct 17, 2014 Ship: Zuiderdam

VISA NOTIFICATION:

*****IMPORTANT INFORMATION*****

Please be advised that a passport is required for all FLL-FLL voyages visiting

Costa Rica whether they plan to go ashore or not.

Each country has its own entry requirements, and guests assume personal

responsibility for having the necessary documents when boarding. You may be

denied boarding if you do not have the proper travel documents and in that

case, you would not be entitled to a refund.

Costa Rica has tighten up entry and exit requirements for tourists.

Of special note for anyone traveling with children, Costa Rican officials will pay close attention to any children under the age of 16 and and will require any adults with them (parents included) that the adults have the legal right to enter and exit the country with the children.

Luckily, this did not come as a surprise to a family that we met in June while on a tour in Costa Rica. The family, the parents and two sons (14 and 12), had

proof of legal (parental) guardianship of the sons by the parents.

Costa Rica has tighten up entry and exit requirements for tourists.

Of special note for anyone traveling with children, Costa Rican officials will pay close attention to any children under the age of 16 and and will require any adults with them (parents included) that the adults have the legal right to enter and exit the country with the children.

Luckily, this did not come as a surprise to a family that we met in June while on a tour in Costa Rica. The family, the parents and two sons (14 and 12), had

proof of legal (parental) guardianship of the sons by the parents.

Interesting. What kind of documentation constitutes "proof" of guardianship with respect to a married couple traveling with their biological children? Obviously in the case of post-divorce, or adoption, there are custodial agreements and related documents, but I haven't a clue how biological parents married to each other can "prove" guardianship of their own kids. Have never considered this before. Do such parents need to go to court to get a judge to declare that a couple has guardianship of their own children? A birth certificate alone wouldn't seem to prove such.

Interesting. What kind of documentation constitutes "proof" of guardianship with respect to a married couple traveling with their biological children? Obviously in the case of post-divorce, or adoption, there are custodial agreements and related documents, but I haven't a clue how biological parents married to each other can "prove" guardianship of their own kids. Have never considered this before. Do such parents need to go to court to get a judge to declare that a couple has guardianship of their own children? A birth certificate alone wouldn't seem to prove such.

Birth certificates that have mom and dad's name on child's birth certificate.

There is a difference between being a biological parent and a legal guardian, believe it or not. In my work we used to have to send parents to court to get legal guardianship of their own children in certain circumstances.

Not necessarily. Say a grandparent successfully sues for guardianship in a case where the biological parents prove to be incapable, abusive, etc. The biological parents can grab the birth certificate and flee the jurisdiction.

There is a difference between being a biological parent and a legal guardian, believe it or not. In my work we used to have to send parents to court to get legal guardianship of their own children in certain circumstances.

Yes, of course, there is a difference but the question asks about "biological children" as indicated by the bold

underline I inserted.

Edited by sail7seas

Not necessarily. Say a grandparent successfully sues for guardianship in a case where the biological parents prove to be incapable, abusive, etc. The biological parents can grab the birth certificate and flee the jurisdiction.

Yes. That could happen and so could many other unfortunate events. However, in the vast majority of cases, what would you suggest would be the obvious 'proof'? The scenario you present is against the law. So is bank robbery. You cannot protect against all law breakers or we wouldn't need jails and courts.

In response about the proof, besides the passports, the parents had the birth certificates on which they were named, and the two boys were each questioned individually,separately from his brother and parents, on who they were traveling with.

Leaving the country (at the airport), there was separate security line for anyone traveling with a child. Same procedure as upon entering the country.

I was curious so I asked if the same scrutiny was given to cruise ship passengers, in reply the security officer pointed to the sign that was posted around the airport that Costa Rica was concerned about their country's children and special security procedures were in place for their protection. He said it is the same for any entry and exit from the country by any means of travel.

Yes, of course, there is a difference but the question asks about "biological children" as indicated by the bold

underline I inserted.

Giving birth does not make you the "legal guardian" of a child. To be a "legal guardian" there is a court order naming you such.

If parents truly need to prove they are the "legal guardians" of a child, then they would need that court order. In most instances of daily life such is not necessary, but when traveling to other countries it's important that parents learn, and follow, the rules of the countries they are visiting.