10:50am departing flight in Fort Lauderdale for walk-off disembark?

Jordster

Celebrity recommends taking flights 11:30am or later on departure day. The only practical flight for us is at 10:50am. We always walk off the ship with our own luggage.

Just looking for opinions on whether I'd be cutting it too close. The cruise terminal is only about 15 minutes (I think) by cab to the airport. On my last cruise (an RCCL ship out of Orlando) I was off the ship, shuttled to the car rental and in my rental car by 8:40am. Getting to the airport for a 10:50am flight (so, ideally, before 9:30) doesn't seem like such a stretch.

What do you think?? Thanks!

Edited by Jordster

We had an utterly horrible disembarkation experience last year off the Silhouette. Long lines at the port, the luggage retrieval was an utter disaster, and the airport was jammed wall to wall and security lines were backed up. Our flight wasn't until mid-afternoon as I recall, and this was the trip when I vowed I would never again do anything but self-disembark at the earliest opportunity.

Doing that, you're right--the airport (FLL that is) is an extremely short cab ride away. For our November Equinox sailing we have booked a 10:35 return trip--this was by far our best option because it's direct and the other choices were later with connections.

I don't think 10:35 is going to be all that tight. We will self-disembark as soon as the ship is cleared, and we're coming in on a Monday. We've got a lot of wiggle room. Sure, we might miss the flight, but it's pretty unlikely.

Edited by huskerc

If this is all within Ft. Lauderdale then the odds are in your favor. But it is not anywhere near risk free. There are lots of threads on this forum, and the Florida departures forum, discussing this. You'll always see lots of answers to this question saying "no problem" and lots of others saying they would book a later flight.

You don't say when you're cruising but be aware that in the prime season on each of Saturday and Sunday there can sometimes be 6 ships in port with 20,000 passengers disembarking and another 20,000 embarking and many of them flying in or out the same day. Likewise there will be close to that number at the Port of Miami with some of those passengers flying through Ft. Lauderdale. This makes for a pretty busy airport and a congested port.

On the other hand, an early self-disembarkation probably would get ahead of some of the crowds if everything is on schedule.

It all comes down to how much risk you can tolerate and what you'd do in the event you missed your flight.

Edited by Lsimon

I think I am going to take my chances...

I spoke with Celebrity via my travel agent, and they said that if you inform them that you have an early flight, they can help you be one of the first people off the ship. Walking off early will probably put me ahead of most of the crowd (it is Saturday, Dec 27, during Xmas break). It's also just my wife and I, and we know how to push our way through an airport in the event that we're a bit late.

The airport is evidently only 10 minutes away... I think there is a very good chance I can get to the airport by as early as 8:30, and make it there before 9:30 given anything other than a catastrophic delay.

We frequently book early flights around 10:30 or so.

There was one time we came really close and it was at FLL. We disembarked together with Oasis, and the passengers flooded the airport. The line for security wrapped all the way around and way passed the car rental. They end up calling our flight and we got rushed through and were the last on the plane. On this particular sailing, we did not walk-off our luggage but should have.

I hate having to rush to get my luggage ready the night before, so walking off my luggage makes the most sense and works for us. We get the start of the walk-off time and we're safe.

...I spoke with Celebrity via my travel agent, and they said that if you inform them that you have an early flight, they can help you be one of the first people off the ship. Walking off early will probably put me ahead of most of the crowd (it is Saturday, Dec 27, during Xmas break)....

I'm sure when the representative from Celebrity said they could help you get off early they were referring to getting assigned to an early general disembarkation group as these are assigned first by flight times then by various priorities. But from everything I've read the early self-disembarkation is pretty much a first in line first off scenario with a little chaos thrown in. I've never done it but the comments in post #18 of this thread is typical of what I've read here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2093491

Also, I don't know how typical my experience is but I will say that the absolute worst disembarkation I've ever had related to the disorganized mess when disembarking a holiday cruise on a weekend 10 years ago. This was principally due to the large number of cruisers and a shortage of taxis during the holiday period. Again this was 10 years ago and we disembarked in the middle of the disembarkation process so you hopefully will have a totally different experience due to changes and getting ahead of the crowd.

Edited by Lsimon

Celebrity recommends taking flights 11:30am or later on departure day. The only practical flight for us is at 10:50am. We always walk off the ship with our own luggage.

Just looking for opinions on whether I'd be cutting it too close. The cruise terminal is only about 15 minutes (I think) by cab to the airport. On my last cruise (an RCCL ship out of Orlando) I was off the ship, shuttled to the car rental and in my rental car by 8:40am. Getting to the airport for a 10:50am flight (so, ideally, before 9:30) doesn't seem like such a stretch.

What do you think?? Thanks!

You should be fine. We have done many cruises out of FLL and with express walkoff we are normally off the ship by 8 am.

Your situation is typically our situation.

A couple hints:

1) Go to the point of self-disembarkation as early as possible so as to get at the front of the line. Where the scanners are set up is a good hint.

2) Go directly to the taxi queue. This is sometimes the fly in the ointment if too many people get off before you, but if you are in the first group won't be an issue.

Unless there is some unforeseen difficulty, you should be good to go.

We got off the eclipse in ft Lauderdale in jan 2014 along with 5/6 other ships and walked straight off the ship and was in a taxi within 10 mins of leaving the ship... And in a hire car on our way out from the airport by 8.15am

Now to do this we did take all our own luggage with us and walked off the ship, to do this we got down to the main dining room and queued up at 5.30am which as it turned out made us the very first people there so we positioned ourselves right at the front of the restaurant by the doors so we were first off... Now as always there was a few people trying their luck by turning up late and trying to join the front of the queue and pleading ignorance to the quite clear queuing system in place! :eek: after a few choice words with said people they were made to go to the back of the queue... Not happy but moved on anyway! There were people that managed to sneak ahead of some but if you stand your ground you should be able to maintain your position...

Some will say we were lucky some will say we were stupid getting up so early but we say we got off the ship without any major issues or worries and breezed through customs and straight into a waiting taxi! :D

Did the self disembark in FLL in March on Silhouette. It was a Sunday, walked off ship @ 7:15 and made 9:30 am flight. Customs was a bit backed up but one through there clear sailing and I'd definitely do it again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

You should check the port load for that day, it makes all the difference. I never book a flight before noon but that is just me.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

I see the OP has made his/her plans; just an fyi, the port load for 12/27/14 is 15,466:

27-Dec-14 15466 Celebrity Constellation, Westerdam, Caribbean Princess, Ruby Princess, Oasis Of The Seas

http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/United_States_Of_America/212-Fort_Lauderdale_Florida/December_2014/

OP: have a great cruise!

Your situation is typically our situation.

A couple hints:

1) Go to the point of self-disembarkation as early as possible so as to get at the front of the line. Where the scanners are set up is a good hint.

2) Go directly to the taxi queue. This is sometimes the fly in the ointment if too many people get off before you, but if you are in the first group won't be an issue.

Unless there is some unforeseen difficulty, you should be good to go.

A fly in the ointment, is the car rental at port caneveral. The key is to be off first and get the first shuttle. It can be 45 minutes or more before that shuttle returns. We've had problems at Canaveral, we're we've watched shuttles come and go, while ours was gone without returning. Any number of things can cause delays; or been stuck in lines waiting to get on X shuttle. If you are at Canaveral, and need to leave early, take a cab to your car rental (or use an airport shuttle).

Edited by Queen of Oakville

I think I am going to take my chances...

I spoke with Celebrity via my travel agent, and they said that if you inform them that you have an early flight, they can help you be one of the first people off the ship. Walking off early will probably put me ahead of most of the crowd (it is Saturday, Dec 27, during Xmas break). It's also just my wife and I, and we know how to push our way through an airport in the event that we're a bit late.

The airport is evidently only 10 minutes away... I think there is a very good chance I can get to the airport by as early as 8:30, and make it there before 9:30 given anything other than a catastrophic delay.

Good Luck, I hope you make your flight.

I notice you're Canadian, and if so, am guessing you are on a direct flight back to Toronto? Just a heads up but what's the check in time allowed by your airline for International Flights? That additional time has to enter your calculations.

I don't know the last time you were trying to leave FLL between Christmas and New Years, but it can be a struggle. And with a port load of 15,000 plus, you'll really need to use those "push our way through an airport in the event that we're a bit late" skills.

Hope it works out, but I'd suggest a "Plan B".

to do this we got down to the main dining room and queued up at 5.30am which as it turned out made us the very first people there so we positioned ourselves right at the front of the restaurant by the doors so we were first off... :D

I completely agree with the above. We were not first in line, but not too far back in the queue when departing Silhouette last December. We were in a taxi on our way to the airport within 20 minutes of when the line started to move. The luggage was actually lined up as the queue in the MDR and we sat off to the side until the line started moving. In the time we were waiting DH had time to go up to the buffet for "second breakfast" and brought it back down to the MDR. So don't feel you have to wait until after breakfast to head down and drop your luggage; it can hold your place in line for you!

We have done this before , and you should be okay. If you are concerned about a shortage of taxis or disorganized taxi lines, then you can always preorder a limo to pick you up. A bit more expensive but reduces the risk. You also want to get off as early as possible, in case there is a shortage of US Immigration officers at the port, which can cause delays . And as other have noted there is the lineup to check in and clear security at the airport. Depending upon which airline you are flying, the lines may be worse. I believe that Air Canada is in Terminal 2 at FLL, with I believe Delta being the only other major carrier. WestJet is in the same terminal as American, Jet Blue and US Airways, so lines at security may be loner.

For the Americans (not sure about options for OP in Canada) spend the $100 and get global entry. That comes with ta's precheck and is for 5 years.

First off ship, check in for flight 24 hours in advance and you will make flight (99 percent plus anyway). Precheck is awesome!!

The Celebrity reps can say whatever, but once you step off that ship, you're at the mercy of US Customs and Immigration. You can bet the officers will be stretched thin during a holiday weekend, so you may very well experience delays. On our last Equinox cruise, we disembarked the ship at 8:45 and many self disembarkers were still in line because there were only two Immigration officers working.

We've done a 10:35 FLL departure before with absolutely no problems.

BUT: I'd rather go later, for sure. Things happen, rarely, but they happen; late arrival, slow debarking for whatever reason, slow immigration.

It also helps us that we are in an upper tier of our normal airline and get priority security and check-in. If alternative flights were much more expensive or at really inconvenient times, I'd probably chance it again.

We have done self disembarkation but in Tampa with only two smallish ships in port.

Do check in online and pay any baggage fees when your window opens. Double check the airlines policy for airport check in time as well as FLL's policy.

Do be aware that any elevation of Homeland Security's travel alerts will delay you both at the ship and airport.

Do make sure your customs and immigration forms are properly filled out, with your passports handy as well as any receipts for purchases listed on the customs form.

Do not wear any new jewelry.

Do not attempt to bring prohibited items.

Do not exceed your allowance for liquor or cigarettes.

Do not take any fresh food or vegetables off the ship.

Do line up early at the assigned spot for self disembarkation.

Do be aware that you will most likely have to use the terminal elevator. If you cannot maintain your luggage and one hand on the escalator crew will send you to the elevator line.

December 27 would be a busy day at any airport even if there are no cruise ships disembarking passengers. It will be imperative that you get to the airport as quickly as possible.

I wish you luck.

we know how to push our way through an airport in the event that we're a bit late.

I hope by "push out way through an airport" you mean "we can walk quickly and don't need to stop for coffee/breakfast/sundries" and not "we ask other pax to let us cut in line in front of them at check in and security." ;)

That said, I doubt you'll have much trouble making a 10:50 flight at FLL if you self disembark. We always self disembark, usually as soon as they announce it, and have never had any trouble getting through immigration/customs, or getting a cab. FLL can have very long lines, but again- if you self disembark and get there early, in all likelihood you be fine. You'll probably will get there and have time to kill.

One other note- as far as getting through the airport, unlike many other airports, FLL doesn't really have any super long concourses where you have to walk a mile from check in to a distant gate. There are 4 separate terminals, and each one is pretty compact.

Edited by waterbug123