Live from Nautica

suni

Third day and having a wonderful cruise. The weather is outstanding and the ports fabulous. We have eaten in all four dining areas and the food is excellent, the service is below par in all areas of the ship. Seabourn outdoes this line in most every regard . Our penthouse suite is nice , but Seabourns was over the top with much more elaborate finishes and superior bathroom. The Canyon Ranch Spa is disappointing. Extremely small. Unkept. Stone steam room has been inoperable all week. Rude staff. More info too follow. feel free to ask specific questions,

One can have a great cruise but still have issues with the cruiseline!

We just came off two weeks on Nautica on Monday. We had a great cruise - chose it for the itinerary. But, we were very disappointed with Oceania's performance! We had previously travelled with Azamara and were expecting Oceania to be on a par, but it definitely was not.

We thought service all over the ship was lacking. Didn't try and spa.

Interesting this poster says the food is excellent. As everyone says, food is subjective, but we found it disappointing. We are not foodies either! Without going into detail about our cruise experience, and hijacking this post, we found the food was often cold and we found a lot of it rather salty tasting. Wait service was very hit and miss. Maybe I should do a review when I have chance! We only got home yesterday from 5 weeks travelling.

I will be following this thread with interest.

Perhaps my Title should state Nautica : The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. The point I was trying to convey is that we are having a lovely trip. HOWEVER, this does not measure up to our Seabourn Odyssey experience. The food has been very good. We are by no means foodies and everyone in our group is enjoying the food. The major difference is that I am very surprised a how poor the service is. On Seabourn you are greeted everywhere you go. Within a day they knew our names. No one greets you on this ship. The service in the dining rooms bars is slow. At breakfast we constantly were looking for someone to bring coffee. Plates being left on the table for 20 minutes between courses. The adult beverages are very expensive and small. I really do feel that on a cruise that is that this level in regards to cost , beverages should be included. Today is our first sea day. I will let you know how it goes.

Anxious to hear more about the service levels as I'm eyeing Nautica in 2016. I'm surprised to hear it's really that bad??

I do hate to admit that MDR service was slow, sometimes chaotic on Riviera in July....but I overlooked it b/c I was happy to be sailing in the Med! I don't take it too seriously as I know things get busy but it wasn't the best.

I will also be following this thread with interest.

I really do feel that on a cruise that is that this level in regards to cost , beverages should be included.

I don't drink much alcohol and totally disagree. To me, beverages are non-alcoholic and they are all included. I am glad that you are having a great time anyway.

I have sailed on Nautica 5 times and have two more cruises on Nautica coming up. It is my favorite ship.

I have often been greeted by name as have many of the people I have sailed with. Maybe not on the first day as you expect. The odyssey has 425 passengers.

I have found the service to be stellar every time.

I NEVER eat in the GDR because the service is unbearably slow. That is often discussed here in CC

If the size (and cost) of drinks matters you need to sail a line where alcohol is included -- Seabourn, Regent.

I do not care at all about the size of the drinks.

You should not sail Oceania and expect it to be Seabourn. I have two cruises booked on Seabourn and I don't expect it to be Oceania.

Comparisons always disappoint.

Edited by pacheco18

I have sailed on Nautica 5 times ands have two more cruises on Nautica coming up. It is my favorite ship.

I have often been greeted by name as have many of the people I have sailed with.

I have found the service to be stellar

I NEVER eat in the GDR because the service is unbearably slow. That is often discussed here in CC

If the size (and cost) of drinks matters you need to sail a line where alcohol is included -- Seabourn.

I do not care at all about the size of the drinks.

Thanks Laraine, glad to hear this. By the way, will you be doing a Live from Azamara Quest as I see you are sailing them this month? Would love to hear how it goes.

Joe

Thanks Laraine, glad to hear this. By the way, will you be doing a Live from Azamara Quest as I see you are sailing them this month? Would love to hear how it goes.

Joe

I still have the free internet minutes (LOL) and it is my LAST Azamara cruise (unless things change drastically).

If I don't post live I will definitely post afterwards with a brief review.

We leave for Venice tomorrow.

I still have the free internet minutes (LOL) and it is my LAST Azamara cruise (unless things change drastically).

If I don't post live I will definitely post afterwards with a brief review.

We leave for Venice tomorrow.

Have a great trip and look forward to hearing about your experience.

I don't drink much alcohol and totally disagree. To me, beverages are non-alcoholic and they are all included.

+1

I agree

If people want alcoholic beverages included they should stick those lines that do that

+2

I only wish to pay for what I use and do not wish to subsidize expensive habits of others - the cruises are expensive enough as is.

There are enough cruise lines that include alcohol in the price of the cruise to choose from. It's nice to have choices :)

Great input. Thank you. The reality is that had I never sailed on the Seabourn Odyssey, I would think that this experience was perfect. I agree that I should not be comparing. Pool music today was big band and polka music. Not a good fit for me. I dealt with that by going to my balcony of my cabin and playing my own music. Going to the Soa tomorrow for a massage. Will keep you posted.

Suni,

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion based on your experience - just like we all are.

I sailed on the Seabourn Odyssey once and that was enough for me. It was perfectly fine but definitely not better than Oceania in any respect (except for Seabourn Square). Consequently, I could not justify the extra expense for Seabourn for future cruises, unless the itinerary were to be unique.

Of course, that is just my opinion based on my experience. It only goes to show you that different people have different perceptions of the same "product" and I realize that cruises even on the same cruise line can vary from each other.

Based on our experiences (yours and mine) we each will make our decisions which cruise line we prefer. There is no right answer - only individual preference. Isn't that great?

I hope you will enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Suni,

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion based on your experience - just like we all are.

I sailed on the Seabourn Odyssey once and that was enough for me. It was perfectly fine but definitely not better than Oceania in any respect (except for Seabourn Square). Consequently, I could not justify the extra expense for Seabourn for future cruises, unless the itinerary were to be unique.

Of course, that is just my opinion based on my experience. It only goes to show you that different people have different perceptions of the same "product" and I realize that cruises even on the same cruise line can vary from each other.

Based on our experiences (yours and mine) we each will make our decisions which cruise line we prefer. There is no right answer - only individual preference. Isn't that great?

I hope you will enjoy the rest of your cruise.

PS I am sorry to hear that some of your experiences on Oceania are not up to your expectations.

I agree that everyone's experience is personal and subjective. But I do feel I want to stick up for the lovely Nautica (especially for those who have not been on and plan to), I can only share my experience in June and we thought it was wonderful, the food was lovely, service excellent and staff really friendly. Go and see Ronnie in the Martini Bar - he'll look after you:)

I think it would be a bad idea to include alcoholic drinks at an increased cost to everyone. I do like a little drink or two;) but i'm happy to pay for the drinks package, the increase in the cruise prices would be a lot more than the cost of cruise + package.

The major difference is that I am very surprised a how poor the service is. On Seabourn you are greeted everywhere you go. Within a day they knew our names. No one greets you on this ship.

I really don't consider that service, perhaps part of a ship's culture. While it's not important to me the one time we cruised on Silversea I felt like I was wearing a name tag. Rarely does anyone call me by name on Oceania, perhaps some of the bartenders and the people at guest relations.

The service in the dining rooms bars is slow. At breakfast we constantly were looking for someone to bring coffee. Plates being left on the table for 20

minutes between courses.

While I haven't been on Nautica I found on Riviera you had to be careful that they didn't take your plate away before you were done. Occasionally I have experienced a little trouble getting waited on initially in the Terrace.

The adult beverages are very expensive and small. I really do feel that on a cruise that is that this level in regards to cost , beverages should be included.

I always find this concept amusing. I drink a bit, and have never found the pours or drink sizes in the least bit small. I usually take advantage of Happy Hour so it doesn't seem that expensive.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by ORV

Thank you for your review Suni, I am on Nautica in 44 days time so I am interested in your opinions of Nautica. Previously done Marina and Azamara Quest so I am hoping it as the quality of Marina with the intimate ambiance of the R class ship. Keep the reviews coming.

I am glad you are enjoying your cruise Suni.:)

I loved our 2 Oceania cruises and also look forward to cruising on Seabourn in the furture. But these two cruise lines are not in the same category - Oceania is classified as “Upper Premium” - while Seabourn is the next level up again – “Luxury” and I would expect a much higher standard in all areas. Once you have been up there it is very hard to step down again.:D

A more likely comparison would be Oceania vs Azamara.

For Seabourn I would compare with Regent, Crystal or Silversea.

We did our first cruise with NCL and whilst we enjoyed the cruise I could not even start to compare it with Oceania which was 3 x the price and 4 x the quality.

I am glad you are enjoying your cruise Suni.:)

I loved our 2 Oceania cruises and also look forward to cruising on Seabourn in the furture. But these two cruise lines are not in the same category - Oceania is classified as “Upper Premium” - while Seabourn is the next level up again – “Luxury” and I would expect a much higher standard in all areas. Once you have been up there it is very hard to step down again.:D

A more likely comparison would be Oceania vs Azamara.

For Seabourn I would compare with Regent, Crystal or Silversea.

We did our first cruise with NCL and whilst we enjoyed the cruise I could not even start to compare it with Oceania which was 3 x the price and 4 x the quality.

We have been on all the lines you mentioned. Crystal was fine, but the cabins were too small even for the higher priced ones. Seabourn was pleasant. Did not like it as much as Regent. Silversea was horrible, and am holding almost $4000 in vouchers that we will never use. We have two Oceania cruises coming up and are looking forward to them.

I am now 9 days into the cruise. I really am still on track with my initial review. The best itinerary I could have ever chosen with fabulous dining , nice rooms, and good service. Absolutely nothing in terms of entertainment for younger people . No evening shows that were of interest to us. Eveything in the evening is formal and cultural. String quartet, classical music, opera like singers. Well attended by the older clients. The younger passengers are walking around trying to create own fun,,whichever we do. Loving the cruise but probably will lean toward Seabourn for the next luxury experience. Check out itinerary tho. It is amazing!

I am now 9 days into the cruise. I really am still on track with my initial review. The best itinerary I could have ever chosen with fabulous dining , nice rooms, and good service. Absolutely nothing in terms of entertainment for younger people . No evening shows that were of interest to us. Eveything in the evening is formal and cultural. String quartet, classical music, opera like singers. Well attended by the older clients. The younger passengers are walking around trying to create own fun,,whichever we do. Loving the cruise but probably will lean toward Seabourn for the next luxury experience. Check out itinerary tho. It is amazing!

Just curious to know what specifically do you like about the evening entertainment on Seabourn that would appeal to you better than what is offered on Oceania.

Edited by Paulchili