Barcelona - things to do and any tips?

wheeldon

Walking down Las Rambla (in the Las Ramblas area -- near to where the ships docks -- is a real treat. There is so much to see. Boqueria Market is reported to be one of the bests markets in the world and I agree. Here is a link: http://www.boqueria.info/index.php?lang=en I recommend strolling through the market place mid-morning.

Seeing the Gaudi buildings is also a must see (even if you can't see all of them). Here is a link to that http://www.globotreks.com/destinations/10-gaudi-buildings-barcelona/

As with any thread regarding Barcelona, you do need to take the pickpocketing threat seriously. While the pickpockets do not hurt you as they do in some cities, there are many of them. You are particularly vulnerable when you are distracted. Suggest not taking your handbag. If you take a camera, keep it inside of your jacket . Wear no watch or a cheap one. If you take all of the recommended precautions, you can walk around quite safely.

There are some tips I found that are posted below.

Barcelona is a beautiful city -- enjoy it to the fullest!

10 quick tips

Barcelona Pickpocket safety tips:

1. Don't carry your wallet in your back pocket

2. Don't put phones, cameras on table at cafes

3. Wear your rucksack on your front in touristy areas

4. Always keep bags on your lap at cafes/coffee bars

5. Be wary of any strangers approaching you or touching you

6. Don't play any street games

7. Be extra aware on beaches and in the metro

8. Be extra aware when watching street shows

9. Be extra aware on Las Ramblas, Sagrada Familia, Sants station and in metro

10. Be extra aware in your hotel lobby, at airport buses and airport transport

Aloha Wheeldon,

We were in Barcelona on a Regent cruise last year, Rome to to Monte Carlo, and one of my favorite memories from the entire cruise was touring a townhouse in Barcelona which Gaudi built and designed for a private businessman. It is a four or five story townhouse and the entire interior was designed by Gaudi; he even designed the roof garden and the chimneys on the roof, which were spectacular. I don't have the name of this house in front of me now but it was right in central Barcelona and should be easy to find out about. We walked through the house with a recorded tour, and it was busy, but the 90 minute tour was about the perfect amount of time to see this beautiful home.

We had bad weather on our day in Barcelona (the only rainy day of our entire trip). I hope you guys have nice, sunny weather there!

Edited by HanaleiSailor

I still think that doing the Hop On Hop Off allows you to see everything, and then on the 2nd run, you can get off and see each site which might be of interest. Didn't see anyone mention Guell Park. That is interesting.

We have done that several years. Wonderful.

We just got back from Barcelona=again. Wonderful.

Edited by spindrift

Aloha Wheeldon,

We were in Barcelona on a Regent cruise last year, Rome to to Monte Carlo, and one of my favorite memories from the entire cruise was touring a townhouse in Barcelona which Gaudi built and designed for a private businessman. It is a four or five story townhouse and the entire interior was designed by Gaudi; he even designed the roof garden and the chimneys on the roof, which were spectacular. I don't have the name of this house in front of me now but it was right in central Barcelona and should be easy to find out about. We walked through the house with a recorded tour, and it was busy, but the 90 minute tour was about the perfect amount of time to see this beautiful home.

We had bad weather on our day in Barcelona (the only rainy day of our entire trip). I hope you guys have nice, sunny weather there!

Sounds like you either visited Palau Guell, which is just off Las Ramblas, or it might have been Casa Batllo, also called the House of Bones, which is on Passeig de Gracia. Both houses are in central Barcelona and both are magnificient!

You are in for a wonderful visit. Barcelona is one of our favorite towns. For some detailed info and a hilarious read, check out:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1668619&highlight=middle+aged+drama+queen

This family packed quite a bit of activities and sights to include booking an evening tapas tour and attending one the more renowned Flamenco venues. More importantly, the writer included some great pics and good insider info found at the beginning of the thread and towards the end since this is a chronological report of their Med cruise R/T from Barcelona. you may also find some info on other ports you have in common.

Just off Las Ramblas is a great paella joint: Los Caracoles.

The presence of pickpockets is the unfortunate price we pay as tourists. I've had my wallet stolen from my FRONT pocket (I was sober) on the metro in Rome (thank God it was my throwaway wallet) and thwarted a pickpocket at a US Airbase in the Phillippines of all places.

The Boss (my significant other) says you must get a hot chocolate and a churro to make your visit official.

Have a GREAT cruise and bring me along!!!

Z and TB

Edited by Zqueeze1

Zqeeze1: Thanks so much for the link. It is a delightful thread with great photographs of Barcelona! We will be there next month and plan on asking a friend onboard that speaks Spanish if he knows of any local places - not on Las Rambla where we can get some great tapas.

Walking down Las Rambla (in the Las Ramblas area -- near to where the ships docks -- is a real treat. There is so much to see. Boqueria Market is reported to be one of the bests markets in the world and I agree. Here is a link: http://www.boqueria.info/index.php?lang=en I recommend strolling through the market place mid-morning.

Seeing the Gaudi buildings is also a must see (even if you can't see all of them). Here is a link to that http://www.globotreks.com/destinations/10-gaudi-buildings-barcelona/

As with any thread regarding Barcelona, you do need to take the pickpocketing threat seriously. While the pickpockets do not hurt you as they do in some cities, there are many of them. You are particularly vulnerable when you are distracted. Suggest not taking your handbag. If you take a camera, keep it inside of your jacket . Wear no watch or a cheap one. If you take all of the recommended precautions, you can walk around quite safely.

There are some tips I found that are posted below.

Barcelona is a beautiful city -- enjoy it to the fullest!

10 quick tips

Barcelona Pickpocket safety tips:

1. Don't carry your wallet in your back pocket

2. Don't put phones, cameras on table at cafes

3. Wear your rucksack on your front in touristy areas

4. Always keep bags on your lap at cafes/coffee bars

5. Be wary of any strangers approaching you or touching you

6. Don't play any street games

7. Be extra aware on beaches and in the metro

8. Be extra aware when watching street shows

9. Be extra aware on Las Ramblas, Sagrada Familia, Sants station and in metro

10. Be extra aware in your hotel lobby, at airport buses and airport transport

These ten tips are really important.Barcelona is notorious for thieves.Spain is a wonderful country,friendly,helpful people.Sadly Barcelons does not reflect true Spain.We had a house there until the government started picking away at ex pats...We still have Spain in our hearts and love it.But sadly we did not like Barcelona.(Our friends even had their luggage stolen from between their legs whilst looking at their map.)

There are some wonderful places to visit.

We hopped on the train very cheaply,to go to San sadurni to the cava areas.

There,the Spanish version of champagne is made.And very good too.Codorniu is the best and the tour a wonderful insight into probably the best ' fizz' in Europe.

We have been to Barcelona 3 times and love the city. All the recommendations for places to see and hints are excellent. Here's a link for our favorite tapas restaurant. When we first went there it was primarily locals and our private guide took us. We were not disappointed. It is easily walkable from the Ramblas area. Enjoy your cruise and time in Barcelona.

https://www.google.com/search?q=+Cuidad+Condal%3A&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

Travelcat2 has given you excellent advice.

Barcelona is an absolutely wonderful city. But, you must be careful of pickpockets that target tourists. There are certain cities around the world where you cannot let your guard down and Barcelona is one of those.

Just wanted to add:

This is a city to leave all of your jewelry locked up. Don't wear anything expensive and I would limit yourself to an inexpensive watch, and say for a woman very simple earrings.

Use a travel wallet and just take the currency you need with you and say one credit card.

Don't carry passports with you.

If you carry an expensive camera hold it tightly.

Don't take money out on the street and in stores don't flash a large amount of currency.

In short limit what you take with you, and be observant of your surroundings. It's just one of those cities where you need to not let your guard down. Not all cities are created equally.

Places to see:

Basilica of the Sagrada Familia

Casa Milà, which is known as “La Pedrera House.”

Museum of Catalan Modernism.

Las Rambles. I would walk this area starting or ending at the Christopher Columbus Statue. Walk slowly. Take it all in. There is a large market off of Las Rambles which I would visit.

Food. Enjoy the local food of this city.

Have a wonderful time but just be very observant of your surroundings and street smart.

Keith

Zqeeze1: Thanks so much for the link. It is a delightful thread with great photographs of Barcelona! We will be there next month and plan on asking a friend onboard that speaks Spanish if he knows of any local places - not on Las Rambla where we can get some great tapas.

Our pleasure. Exception to the No Ramblas rule: Go to Pinoxo (spelling?) in El Merkat and have their bread with tomatoes and olive oil. We thought it was the best. In addition, if you are a Samantha Brown fan, she made the server famous by having him in one of her Barcelona episodes.

Z and TB

In regard to all the precautionary comments listed above, they are certainly correct and I concur with Keith 1010. Get out there and see what Barcelona offers. Hang on to your stuff and shoot away with your cameras because this is one of the premiere photogenic cities of this world. We loved our past visits so much that we would not hesitate to indulge in all of Barcelona's many facets. Although The Boss only speaks English and Dictatorese (she's evil and scares me) I am lucky enough to speak the language (Spanish not Catalan!) which allows us to enjoy so much more. On a side note, the pleasure I get when I stare at her whenever I am having a mundane conversation with a local. It puts her ill at ease and kind of straightens up my universe.

Back to reality. Enjoy Barcelona!

Z and TB

I agree with many of the other posters that Barcelona is a great city to visit, although one MUST constantly be aware of their surroundings. I have been to the city four times and each time witnessed the pickpockets looking for their next victim, including myself. I have a travel bag with many zippered pockets and an alarm and the only time the alarm ever went off was in Barcelona.

For the past few years, I have been wearing these socks and swear by them, they are quite comfortable and wash nicely

http://www.zipitgear.com/

gnomie :)

Our pleasure. Exception to the No Ramblas rule: Go to Pinoxo (spelling?) in El Merkat and have their bread with tomatoes and olive oil. We thought it was the best. In addition, if you are a Samantha Brown fan, she made the server famous by having him in one of her Barcelona episodes.

Z and TB

Thanks so much -- I looked it up and found Bar Pinotxo at Rambla 91, Mercat Boqueria. Is the restaurant in Boqueria Market? I'm going to write down the information and put it in my folder.

Find the small pedestrian street called Carrer de Ferran that heads east off La Rambla. (Ironically, Google street view shows it between McDonald's and KFC.) Within a half-block, take the passageway to Placa Reial which is a delight at night with the lights, restaurants in full swing and street performers.

Further along heading east, you'll come to the Catalan government palace fronting a lovely square that is often the venue for protests (we happened upon a couple when there).

Cut diagonally across the square and head east again, keeping an eye to the left for the back of the Cathedral. Definitely worth a stop, and a trip up the teeny elevator to the top for the view to the port and the ship!

Continue east again until you reach Via Liaetana. The Hotel H10 Montcada across the street has a roof-top bar that is a lovely place to have a drink on a nice night.

Thanks so much -- I looked it up and found Bar Pinotxo at Rambla 91, Mercat Boqueria. Is the restaurant in Boqueria Market? I'm going to write down the information and put it in my folder.

That's correct, but please keep in mind that this is not really a restaurant. Juust as the other venues inside the market, it is a food stall with a bar and stools great for a quick breakfast with the locals. We've stayed at the SOFITEL several times and much prefer to have either breakfast or a snack at Pinotxo than elsewhere.

Z and TB

That's correct, but please keep in mind that this is not really a restaurant. Juust as the other venues inside the market, it is a food stall with a bar and stools great for a quick breakfast with the locals. We've stayed at the SOFITEL several times and much prefer to have either breakfast or a snack at Pinotxo than elsewhere.

Z and TB

It will be easy to find -- we've probably passed it during our two visits to the market. Such an amazing market!

When we were there we had a private guide who took us to see Gaudi's triumphs but also to a restaurant called Else Quatre Gats (for a drink) which started up in 1897 and hosted Picasso's first art exhibit. Our friends are Jewish and there is a very old Jewish presence in Barcelona and we visited that area as well. Saw an ancient Mikveh, etc.

Travelcat2,

We just got back from a Regent cruise which ended in Barcelona, and we stayed an extra three nights. I can recommend Cafe Rene, Consell de Cent 362. http://www.restaurantrene.com

a block or two from the Las Rambla, upper end.

Amazing tapas and seafood, and really a local place. We went back twice!

Thanks so much! We are only there 1 day and I've got quite a list. May put them in a hat and draw one out:)

Thanks so much! We are only there 1 day and I've got quite a list. May put them in a hat and draw one out:)

TC2: FYI, this is the Pinotxo dude made famous by Samantha Brown. He's the one on the left with the choppers. On the right is The Boss.

P4030760_zpsbebebe89.jpg

For all of yous, and especially Wheeldon, you are going to have a great time. If all else fails, order a "vino tinto," say "gracias," and then have a few more until you turn invisible.

I really need a vacation at this time! My job is getting finicky, my bone spurs are acting up to the point that I got a cortisone shot today, and somebody hid the damned Ovaltine in the house.

We are heading out to Vero Beach next Friday and Saturday for a marathon bike ride followed by a quick Disney Dream Carib cruise just to regain our sanity, but nothing compared to being back on the Med with The Boss sailing Homer's ''wine-dark sea.''

Z and TB

Edited by Zqueeze1