Am I the only one in this day and age that feels that WIFI should be free to everyone

When I was on my Disney Mediterranean cruise this past summer, I found out from other cruisers at the Meet and Greet that Disney has a small Free Internet package good for the first night of the cruise only. It was a nice little perk I hadn't expected, but it was great to be able to contact the family back home and let them know we were on the ship.

I see the pros and cons of both sides of the issue. I would not be inclined to use wifi constantly on my vacation but, it would be nice to surf by the pool. :)

You can surf for free on the flowrider. :p

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

131 replies to the OP for their one and only post on the thread. Guess they didn't want to further support their opinion on the matter.:D

No the OP probably got the gist the the opinions 4 or 5 responses in. Most of the rest have been 'noise' which is par for the course around here.

Interesting, however, I would expect the 3 sites you mention - Twitter, Facebook and Instagram - should be free. Brilliant marketing, allowing people to broadcast every detail of their fantastic Royal Caribbean vacation to their many social media followers. Look at me on the Flow Rider! Look at all these great desserts! Check out these views! Sail Royal Caribbean and all this can be yours too.....!

Along with all the complaints in the same social media to give bad publicity to counter the positive publicity.

131 replies to the OP for their one and only post on the thread. Guess they didn't want to further support their opinion on the matter.:D

Actually I am on a land vacation and the WIfI in my hotel has been down.

Very frustrating.

For me the down time spent in my cabin after a day at the pool or waiting to go dinner I enjoy playing word with friends or other word games,doing online jigsaw puzzles,checking my email and other activities that require the internet.

These are all part of things I enjoy doing daily and miss while cruising.

Perhaps free was the wrong term.

Included in the cost of my cruise was more my line of thinking.

I am not poor or cheap but refuse to pay additional fees for Internet.

So I will spend my cruise time without it but will miss those activities I enjoy on a daily basis

Definitely no to offering free wifi. Too expensive for the cruise line, will frustrate a lot of people due to slow speeds, takes away from people spending money, and most importantly - totally changes the onboard experience...

If anything raise the rate for internet connection - keep people off their devices!

I can just imagine all the zombies with their nose in their phones trying to walk around the ship. As it is now most people don't know how to navigate a crowd and I can only imagine what it would be like with a few people trying to text and walk.

My second point, as a techie I notice that people are forgetting these high power high bandwidth sat feeds aren't the healthiest thing to be standing near. While I am not claiming the manufacturer hasn't taken these factors into consideration, I am willing to bet the fact that they cannot isolate an area around the dish and keep it free of people has to have some impact on their maximum bandwidth.

Lastly if it was free to all what would prevent people from leaving all their electronic devices on and running 24x7. Many would keep their phone with them all the time and on, the tablet/laptop on and running in the room, etc. I could see the number of end user devices being closer to double the ships population. Work phone, personal phone, tablet, laptop, work laptop, etc. While most wouldn't have all of these devices, many people would have more than 1 of the items I just listed.

I have to laugh a little at the people saying "no" because they will never use it and don't want it, so don't want to have to pay for you to have it.

Can any of you that have that opinion tell me who I speak to in order to be refunded that part of my cruise fare that pays for the spa, the salon, the fitness center, the coffee shops, the kids' club/pool/arcade and other venues that I don't use, will never use, and don't want to have to pay for you to have access to?

Thanks.

Edited by Jobeth66

Lastly if it was free to all what would prevent people from leaving all their electronic devices on and running 24x7. Many would keep their phone with them all the time and on, the tablet/laptop on and running in the room, etc. I could see the number of end user devices being closer to double the ships population. Work phone, personal phone, tablet, laptop, work laptop, etc. While most wouldn't have all of these devices, many people would have more than 1 of the items I just listed.

Yep! I know my phone, and my laptop, are on and connected pretty much 24x7 normally. Provide free WiFi on the ship, and my phone will be on and connected 24x7 there too, because that's habit and normal for me - and for most, I bet. The phone is checking personal email, work email, Facebook, Twitter and a number of other sites - and downloading from them - on a regular basis, whether its in my hand or not.

I have to laugh a little at the people saying "no" because they will never use it and don't want it, so don't want to have to pay for you to have it.

Can any of you that have that opinion tell me who I speak to in order to be refunded that part of my cruise fare that pays for the spa, the salon, the fitness center, the coffee shops, the kids' club/pool/arcade and other venues that I don't use, will never use, and don't want to have to pay for you to have access to?

Thanks.

Id also like to talk to the same person about refunding me that part of my cruise fare that pays for the rock wall and flowrider and anything else that dont use, CANT use and dont want to have to pay for others to use as well.

Thanks! :D

I can just imagine all the zombies with their nose in their phones trying to walk around the ship. As it is now most people don't know how to navigate a crowd and I can only imagine what it would be like with a few people trying to text and walk.

My second point, as a techie I notice that people are forgetting these high power high bandwidth sat feeds aren't the healthiest thing to be standing near. While I am not claiming the manufacturer hasn't taken these factors into consideration, I am willing to bet the fact that they cannot isolate an area around the dish and keep it free of people has to have some impact on their maximum bandwidth.

You wouldn't want them to get in the way of the zombies being herded to their feeding troughs in the MDR.

I don't know how much health risk there is from the Satellite antennae arrays but on the Disney ships they use them for shade, park people under them and in one case turned it into a water feature.

As to running them 24/7, maybe I'm the only one that just assumed they would run it as a typical hotel style wi_fi network that requires authentication through a lobby style webpage. These connections can be configured to time out at any preset length of time requiring the user to actively log on again. Our guest network at work disconnects computers after a couple hours and mobile devices are cut off as soon as they "sleep". The notion that the number of active endpoints would be "double the ships population" is preposterous. While some people might bring multiple devices many would have none at all. I have a difficult time believing that providing wifi would result in every cabin having a laptop on 24/7.

Id also like to talk to the same person about refunding me that part of my cruise fare that pays for the rock wall and flowrider and anything else that dont use, CANT use and dont want to have to pay for others to use as well.

Me too, there are many services provided that I have no interest in.

Thanks.

Are you one of those people who play trivia in schooner but don't buy a drink? :beer:

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Thanks.

Ah well, internet isn't free, and I'll bet good money it won't be free in the next 2-3 years at least, so... :D

Thanks! :cool:

Well the OP specifically asked:

They could just raise the fare a tiny bit and apply it towards WIFi and everyone would be happy.

To which people are replying they don't want to pay for it. IF the kids club or fitness center or rock climbing wall, etc. were 'pay for' services that someone asked to have provided and instead raise everyone's fare for I'd imagine the response would be the same.

Well the OP specifically asked:

To which people are replying they don't want to pay for it. IF the kids club or fitness center or rock climbing wall, etc. were 'pay for' services that someone asked to have provided and instead raise everyone's fare for I'd imagine the response would be the same.

I don't see it as any different. A certain % of your cruise fare to pay for unlimited wi-fi for the whole ship is no different from a certain % of your cruise fare being used to pay for the kids club and the arcade and the spa and the fitness center and the salon - why do I have to pay a % of my cruise fare for venues that I am never going to step foot in? There's no benefit to ME, so I don't think I should have to subsidize it for others.

Wifi being added to the perks of cruising is absolutely no different, IMO. They were just added to the cost of your trip at the outset, so you've never thought about them. Eventually, I believe wifi will be in that list of 'includeds' that your cruise fare will pay for, even if you never use it.