Another 3 Generations report: 8 day Eastern Liberty, Sept 13-21, 2014

CruzinScotty

So, how about some seafood.

Here is the cured salmon:

Cruise2014195_zps83bc743d.jpg

The fried calamari used to be a "family style dish". It's individual now and I only remember it being offered on the first night. I had this, it was quite good. I don't remember the exact sauces, but they were good individually and together:

Cruise2014197_zps70862697.jpg

Now, on to the flatbreads. Our group found them to be a WONDERFUL addition to the menu. I had tonight's walnut, pear, blue cheese flatbread. It was GREAAAAAAAAAT!!!

Cruise2014199_zps36300e2d.jpg

OK, one last item we must discuss. My gang REALLY LOVES the chilled fruit soups. Me, I hold our for the Mango. But tonight's selection is Strawberry Bisque.

Is it soup yet?

Cruise2014200_zps47a65875.jpg

Nope, not yet. LOL

How about now?

Cruise2014201_zps018d7257.jpg

Oh, I'm teasing you! But, we're getting close.

HEY - It's soup now! I was assured by many at the table, just how wonderful it was:

Cruise2014202_zps0823b4b0.jpg

That's it for pictures tonight. I might have time for a little dialog tomorrow. And hopefully will post a few entrees and then get to dessert tomorrow evening as well.

Until then...... Which appy(s) looked the best to you?

Time to pay the bills!

I've got to work this evening, and 12 hour shifts over the weekend. I "may" be able to make a few posts; but I can't do pictures unless I'm home. So, I wanted to post the first evening's Menu for you to peruse.

I had heard the new menu's on American Table night were LARGE; they are. I'm sorry the first picture is blurry. I did warn you - but I think you can make out the item names, just not complete descriptions:

Cruise2014188_zpse1c63f2c.jpg

Cruise2014189_zpsd2d77088.jpg

The dessert menu will be posted when we get there. :)

I'll try later to discuss the new menu and format.

Let's have some feedback now. :D

If you were on this cruise, WHAT did you have the first night?

If you're along for the right, what would YOU order tonight?

Don't be bashful; you can order more then one appetizer and entree. Our group did often!

I'll also try to answer questions about the new menu. I just can't post more pictures until late tonight or tomorrow.

I had the spicy alligator fritters, which were not what I expected them to be, but they were actually quite tasty. I expected them to have more of a texture (thinking chicken), but they were sort of crispy on the outside and very soft inside. Didn't seem like any "meat" was in the fritter, more like a vegetable fritter. I also had the honey glazed pork loin with the broccoli, carrots and pearl onions. I was underwhelmed by the pork but the vegetables were very good.

Looking forward to more of this review!!!!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

I had the spicy alligator fritters, which were not what I expected them to be, but they were actually quite tasty. I expected them to have more of a texture (thinking chicken), but they were sort of crispy on the outside and very soft inside. Didn't seem like any "meat" was in the fritter, more like a vegetable fritter. I also had the honey glazed pork loin with the broccoli, carrots and pearl onions. I was underwhelmed by the pork but the vegetables were very good.

Looking forward to more of this review!!!!

From your description, that sounds like the alligator fritters I had last year. It was OK, but I'm glad I had new options to try this year.

I only have 3 entrees to show. There were 2 pork dishes, I believe I have a pic of one; but I'm not positive which one it is. I may need your help later. :)

Loving your review.

Tell your "POP" Thanks for his service. We appreciate him.

Thanks so much. You'll be hearing more about POP as the week goes by. I even have a pic of him in the hat that has set off the security scanner in the past. But, there's a special place in the report for that. ;)

Hopefully, we'll get thru with dinner tonight. But, there's still more fun after that - it's still just Embarkation Day. :D

OK, now that we’ve got one good meal in us; let’s backtrack just a bit. We got to the room earlier enough to actually relax for a minute. I took a few pics. We have to look, especially for those close to cruising, or maybe someone getting their first balcony?

Cruise2014102_zps208524bc.jpg

My room steward doesn’t yet know I’m traveling solo:

Cruise2014104_zps66ed17e7.jpg

The large mirror does help the bathroom seem a little larger:

Cruise2014106_zpsf4b422ed.jpg

And finally, the balcony:

Cruise2014108_zps2136059d.jpg

And a view of the Marina and Indian River from it:

Cruise2014112-Copy_zps3b4cddbe.jpg

See how close we are to the ocean. Ah the smell of salt in the air. I posted on a recent Guy's Burger thread that the salt air makes them taste better! LOL

Cruise2014111_zps6d65426d.jpg

So, I met my Room Steward immediately. His name is John, from the Phillipines. I told him I was traveling solo, he immediately offered to make up the couch as soon as he could. I said I would like fresh ice twice daily. I never had to ask again. I saw John 4-5 times a day in the hallway. We had 3 other rooms nears mine. I got to know their room steward as well. He was Jerold, also from the Phillipines. I really enjoy interacting with the crew members that work so hard to make our vacation special. A little conversation and taking interest in THEM goes a long way in getting superb service. And, it adds to MY cruise experience as well.

Remember when I said we’re at a different terminal and Carnival was out of sorts? Parking – yes. Security – YES. Check in – No – they did a great job. Luggage delivery….Forgettaboutit…. FTTF didn’t get us luggage very fast at all. It was after 3PM when we got the last pieces. I know that’s not bad for some; but it is one of the perks we paid for. No worries though; we’re starting to get on Island Time.

Thanks for the room pics as you can see on my countdown our first balcony on the liberty getting excited.

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by siestakeys04

So, I was in a hurry to get the menu posted and some appetizers as well to hold you over just a bit. :)

Now, let’s back track. Each year, we’ve done separate sets of bookings for our trip. We could have joined them together at some point; but we were always just afraid that somehow some of us would get split up for dinner. So, we’ve chosen ATD and have enjoyed it a lot. Each year, we have been lucky enough that we really liked our wait staff the first night. So, we always go right when they open. Partially because we’ve got a large group, and partially so we can get out and enjoy some evening entertainment.

I have heard comments that you can make a “reservation” with ATD if you have a set time/wait staff you like. I can tell you that this may vary by ship. We didn’t think to ask the last 2 years, we just always went early. I specifically asked this year and was told they did not do that. Just show up and ask for whom you want and they will seat you as soon as possible. By the 3rd night, as soon as we got to the hostess station; they just showed us right to our table. :D

One complaint with ATD is that it takes longer. I will say yes and no to this. We have ranged from 9 to 13 to 11 the last 3 years. A large table IS going to take longer. Our first night with a new wait staff IS going to take longer. Tonight, we were enjoying our conversation and didn’t mind a slight lull between dinner and dessert. We did however, not get out of dinner until 8PM.

I mentioned the next night to our head waitress we wanted to get out in time to make 8PM shows and we were able to the rest of the week.

One improvement we noticed is a change in how the wait staff is set up. The last 2 years; it seemed we had 3 people; but they were all spread out so much that it wasn’t as enjoyable with them and it took even longer. This year, we had one person get our initial water or iced tea. We changed seats EVERY night and he had everyone right every night. Then, we didn’t see this person again. We had a main waitress and a secondary waiter. She took the main orders, they both helped serve thru the entrees; and the 2nd waiter took complete control of dessert. This really seemed to work better for us.

As I said, Nathaly (Natalie) was our main Waitress; she is from Peru and very happy to be going home for HER vacation in a few weeks. Mile, our secondary server (who has worked as a Main Waiter), was from Serbia. The first night he said, “I look serious, but I’m really not”. He was a lot of fun; they both were. He’s got a 2 yo son at home and works a longer contract so he can be home at Christmas. See, you really can get to know your wait staff, and they know your desires when you do ATD – you just have to find a crew you like and then stick with them. :)

Now, on to the entrees!

So, just a few entrée pictures this evening.

Here is the Crispy Shrimp with Coconut Curry and Lemon Grass:

Cruise2014203_zps23bc209a.jpg

I’ve had this in the past and remember enjoying it.

I believe this is one of the pork dishes offered tonight. I think it matches the description of the Honey Glazed Pork Loin (carrot cinnamon puree). I don’t remember who ordered it in my party. But, I don’t remember any complaints, nor the plate leaving with just a few bites taken from it. As we all say, food is very subjective. YMMV. (Your mileage may vary.)

Cruise2014205_zpsbc2bf0b0.jpg

If you look closely, you can see the grilled chicken breast with veggies in the background above.

My entrée tonight was the Braised Beef Brisket with corn pudding and red onions:

Cruise2014204_zps18480229.jpg

It was quite good; but I do want to discuss it a bit. I had seen comments before that this is basically “pot roast”. Well, I’m from the south, so when I see “beef brisket”, I DO expect to see the southern BBQ/grilled version of it. This was definitely not that. I’m not a true beef expert, but I did decide to look up “braised” beef brisket and also “pot roast”. Brisket comes from a certain part of the cow, whereas post roast has to do with how you cook it. The “braising” part is the slow cooking that makes you think it’s pot roast. So, it’s not like any other brisket I’ve had before; but I did see pictures of recipes on the net that looked a lot more like what I had this night than what I’m used to seeing. Again, it was good but I do prefer the southern version.

Now, we have a few sides to see as well.

Ratatouille: I convinced Thing 1 (or is it 2 – I just don’t know LOL) to try this. I KNOW I’m not a veggie person, but she it. I believe she enjoyed it and may have ordered it again during the week:

Cruise2014206_zpsedd9bb6f.jpg

Mac N Cheese with bacon: there seems to be the lovers and haters of this dish:

Cruise2014207_zpsa5d1a08b.jpg

In our family, we were pretty consistently in the middle. If you make home-made Mac N Cheese – yours will be better. This was better than box or frozen Mac and Cheese. It was nice and creamy; our complaint was not enough cheese. Again, YMMV

Now, on to desserts.

No pressure but only 34 days until I leave on the Glory :D

LOL, I hear ya. Unfortunately, I'm back to real life which doesn't allow me as much "me" time as I'd like to work on this.

Thanks for the room pics as you can see on my countdown our first balcony on the liberty getting excited.

I'm glad you liked the pics. I'm planning a "room with a view" set of shots towards the end that I took on most days were we in port.

This is also why I'm going into so much detail. For many, it's the new menus, for you it's that, plus a first balcony.

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback!

One last bit of housekeeping, then I'm all set with this music thing; I must give credit where credit is due.

I Left My Heart in San Francisco was written by: George Cory and Douglass Cross.

Rude was written by: Nasri Atweh, Adam Messenger, Mark Pellizzer, Ben Spivak and Alex Tanas (that's a lot of people!)

My, we do like our desserts! First, lets see tonight’s menu. On American Table nights, you have a separate dessert menu. At the top are the options for tonight:

Cruise2014208_zpsfeeaeb9e.jpg

Note: The Pie ala Mode is a different pie each night. It's the Chef's choice. He had a nice selection. Tonight's pie was apple. I don't believe we tried the pie tonight.

Then, at the bottom, you have Special Cocktails and Specialty Coffees. This bottom portion is exactly the same every night, so I won’t post more pictures of this part after tonight:

Cruise2014209_zpse1ba36e5.jpg

In addition, what you DON’T see on the menu that is still available: vanilla, chocolate, strawberry and butter pecan ice cream. As well as Lime, orange and one other sherbert (I believe pineapple). AND, don’t forget – you can order dessert from the Children’s menu which has banana splits and cookies!

So, with the new menus are a few new desserts.

Let’s start with the Warm Date and Fig Pudding. I wanted to try this. I am sad to say that this dessert fell into the dry category. The sauce helped, but I only ate a small portion of it. I guess this is more of the English version of a pudding, not the American kind at all.

Cruise2014213_zpsda5c9c5b.jpg

Next, let’s look at the new Nutella Tiramisu (Roasted hazelnuts, caramel). I don’t care for coffee, so even with the description, I thought these were in ADDITION to the coffee flavoring. Nope – no coffee at all. I didn’t order this; but someone graciously let me take a small bite. BOY OH BOY – do I wish I had ordered this instead of the Figgy Pudding. LOL

Cruise2014210_zps5c5e2f5a.jpg

And, finally, the first picture I posted on this trip report was a single picture of the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake. That was mine; I ordered two desserts most nights!

But, if one WCMC is good…. And you’re going to order two desserts the first night; then two is better:

Cruise2014212_zps21767b12.jpg

Bye for now, everybody!

So, as we got out of dinner, some of us went into the Art Gallery to look around for a few minutes. Then we headed to the Atrium where the LIVE band was playing:

Cruise2014216_zps4aaa75bd.jpg

If you look in the middle, you can see our Cruise Director, Cory Rogers.

We’re just in time for Mardi Gras! I think I need to get some beads:

Cruise2014217_zps53efd7dc.jpg

Another pic of the Atrium – I don’t think we’ve haven’t seen purple yet. LOL Can you see the red streamers and a crew member tossing beads below the “Pixels” sign?

Cruise2014220_zps94a78f49.jpg

GOSH – that was short. After the beads were gone, so was the band. HMMMPH. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Ok, so DW is normally the photo-bug on the trip; and she likes to support the Carnival photography crew as well. I did my duty to go up and take a quick look at the pics. Nothing worth buying today; but I did notice the new signs. They’re GREAT. It makes it MUCH easier to find things – don’t you think?

Cruise2014221_zps4e16e9a1.jpg

Cruise2014222_zpsf6454779.jpg

Next, some of us headed to the Gift Shop. If you read my 2012 report, I have a pet peeve. I like t-shirts and I LOVE t-shirts with the SHIP’S name on it. I got one on the Carnivale in 1978 (pictured in the 2012 report) and I got one the Liberty in 2008. In 2012 – no Liberty t-shirts. Only “Carnival” ones. Last year, I did get a Dream shirt that was a package deal with a baseball cap. I found those again; but I also found another bright blue Liberty t-shirt. Can’t believe I didn’t take a picture. Color me – happy!

A few of us went to Bingo in the Victoria Lounge. I don’t have luck here, so I just watched.

Next, It’s time to get Happy again.

So, one of our family’s favorite recent additions to the Carnival line is "The Punch Liner Comedy Club presented by George Lopez". Any show starting at 9PM or after is “adults only”. “If you are easily offended, or under 18, this is not the place for you to be”.

There’s only one show tonight, at 10:30, HAPPY COLE. He was quite happy, and funny too. This show had language, but was not as crude as some shows can be.

After the show, it’s time to head to the lido for some ice cream. There’s ALWAYS room for ice cream, right? I think most of our gang ended up there at some point in the evening most nights. We were just pretty spread out by then.

Now it’s time to head to the room to find this guy:

Cruise2014226_zpsaf59c7c3.jpg

So, do you like Towel Animals? I hope so. I like them, DW likes them; my entire family likes them. You WILL see more towel animals in this report! :D

Anyways, I have an evening ritual that I did with DW and as a solo cruiser. Once I retire to the room, I spend time journaling the activities of the day. Then, I spend some time on the balcony with my i-pod to get some total relaxation in. It has been a busy day, you know.

As I stated before, I’m without a scanner. So this is all you’re going to see of our Sunday Fun Times:

Cruise2014228_zpse3f297fe.jpg

As Jen, the Comedy Club manager said, “Tomorrow is a day to remember NOT to get off of the ship” ;)

So tomorrow, we’ve got 3 official family meets planned – all involving food. :D And, an unofficial one as well. I don’t actually remember what the unofficial one is at the moment. But, it’s in my notes; so I’m sure we’ll get there eventually. LOL

We’ll end the night with one last pic. My new roommate decided to get into the Mardi Gras mood as well:

Cruise2014338_zpsca386133.jpg

Bye for now, everybody!

Very fun review! I have no plans to go on this ship anytime soon, but your fun writing style and LOTS of pics drew me in! When are you done working?.....

Thanks! I've read reviews on ships I've not been on when I find one I like. It's a great way to hold you over until your next cruise, right?

Another long day today, then - weather depending - some yard work.... :(

Trying to get a few more pics up before I head out.

I tend to get up early when cruising. Just too much fun to be had.

I like to take pics of the maps on the TV so show where we are. Sunday morning:

Cruise2014230_zpsbeca0067.jpg

I got up early most days, trying to catch the sunrise.

We're heading east until we stop in St. Maarten. Until then were......

Chasing the Sun (By The Wanted, written by Alex Smith and English rapper Example)

We've only just begun

Hypnotized by drums

Until forever comes

You'll find us chasing the sun

They said this day wouldn't come

We refused to run

We've only just begun

You'll find us chasing the sun

Here, with just the right clouds in the east; you can get an actual sunrise. These pics may seem out of order; but they aren't:

Cruise2014231_zps2279d19c.jpg

Cruise2014232_zps7b018ceb.jpg

Cruise2014233_zps54d7d86c.jpg

Cruise2014234_zps574efad8.jpg

I went for a long walk this morning and took lot of pics, I'll share some now:

Before I left the cabin, I had a sofa for the first time!

Cruise2014238_zps13ef17c2.jpg

Then, I never realized The lights on the Piano Bar keyboards move as well:

Cruise2014240_zps15090ffe.jpg

Cruise2014242_zps5d531b81.jpg

This seems like a random picture in the stairwell. It is - but you WILL see this picture again. LOL

Cruise2014246_zps73a4b1c3.jpg

I ALWAYS take a picture of this guy:

Cruise2014247_zpsafea9a1c.jpg

To show I did get some exercise; here's some pics from around the ship that were all taken this morning.

Who doesn't love the Whale Tail?

Cruise2014255_zps735c8cc6.jpg

From the back up to the Serenity area:

Cruise2014264_zps3283d963.jpg

Next, early touring means the slide hasn't opened yet. It's even too early for the chair hogs (which I didn't really notice that much of this trip):

Cruise2014266_zpsc92fe2b1.jpg

A nice tropical picture from the front stairwell:

Cruise2014269_zps4b2cda31.jpg

This "might" be the last picture of the lights. LOL There' all different colors this time:

Cruise2014270_zps6aaf5210.jpg

This is in the Atrium Lobby. We spent time here during Mardi Gras and waiting for other trivia events:

Cruise2014274_zps54704c00.jpg

I took more pictures; but I'll share them later - somewhere in between all the food we've got to see!

So, after my walk; I decided to do something "new to me". I've never taken food from the buffet and eaten on my balcony.

It's time for a light breakfast:

Cruise2014285_zps0e5cd105.jpg

YUM, I just LOVE me some banana bread. It was a little drier this year than on the Dream last year. But, it had enough flavor that it was still very good.

Now: Useless information you find on the internet!

So, you didn't see how short the stem on my banana:

Cruise2014286_zps3abd44bf.jpg

They can just be SO difficult to open this way. I recently learned this trick. You turn the banana upside down and peel it from the bottom. How easy!

Cruise2014287_zpsa25f430f.jpg

I REALLY enjoyed the peace and quiet of eating on the balcony. I just might have to do this again. ;)

***Warning: Unusual Packing Advice up ahead***

You'll notice that I don't have a lot of posts on Cruise Critic. I have learned a lot of great info, and you can see I've been a member since June of 2007.

I looked at lots and lots of info on packing lists and one item caught my eye: DUCT TAPE. Hmmm, it seems like such an unusual thing to carry with you. But, in four cruises since then; I have used it twice. On my first Liberty Cruise in 2008, we went to Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios. I had a little trouble climbing the falls and messed up my big toe-nail. We stopped to by gauze and antibiotic ointment. But, we forgot actual bandages or tape. Having a silver coated toe the rest of the trip looked a little strange - but hey. It worked.

I also used DUCT TAPE on this trip; you'll have to wait a bit to see just what I did with it this time. ;)

Anyways, it's time for:

Cruise2014289_zpsbe4b7685.jpg

But...... there's storm clouds ahead..... DUN DUN DUN......

Edited by CruzinScotty