Just booked balcony guarantee, any chance will be upgraded to a suite?

krisko

I booked 3 people in a balcony guarantee, knowing there are only 2 cabins left that will fit a triple. Is there a chance I'll get an upgrade out of this? I just got Diamond status and the upgrade fairy has never visited me.

Is there a chance ??????

2 chances ...........

Little and None :)

Lol

I booked 3 people in a balcony guarantee, knowing there are only 2 cabins left that will fit a triple. Is there a chance I'll get an upgrade out of this? I just got Diamond status and the upgrade fairy has never visited me.

As I understand it, if it is to be a C & A non-revenue upgrade, they will typically start at Pinnacle Club then Diamond Plus first. If none of those levels are on your cruise they could then go to Diamond, etc. Within each tier it is in order of member points, highest to lowest.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I'd never actually pay for a suite, just can't swing that kind of coin. Just now started getting balconies because of the diamond discount and extra benefits with certain agents. I never could justify the expense before.

Oh well, keeping the fingers crossed.

I truly hope that you don't receive any upgrade, as you say you cannot afford it, and I have to say, once you have tried it, it's very hard to go back to a standard balcony.

I'll also say that Royal Caribbean looks at demographics, and if they determine that you can afford a suite on a regular basis, you might just be lucky enough to receive one.

If it looks like you cannot afford suites in the future, well, you get the picture.

I have witnessed first and second time cruisers upgraded from a balcony to a full suite, and once they have tried it, most never go back to a balcony.

Ever wondered why, on most cruises, the suites are the first to be booked?

Even as prices of the full suites continue to soar, people are willing to pay.

I'm booking more and more full suites on Princess......as they are about 30 to 35% less than the same thing on Royal Caribbean, and the amenities are better.

Rick

Is there a chance ??????

2 chances ...........

Little and None :)

Lol

I learned that expression as:

"What are my chances?"

"Slim and none..............and slim just walked out the door."

:)

OP: Yes, you have a chance. And I have a chance of winning the Powerball Lottery. But at least YOU have purchased a guarantee! ;)

If you are truly just looking for a yes or not answer to your question, then the answer is yes, there is a chance. There's always a chance, but you probably knew that already. ;)

I suspect your real question is "Is it likely I'll get an upgrade?" in which case the answer is no, or "What are the odds I'll get an upgrade?" in which case the true answer is no one has any way of knowing, but for all intents and purposes you can consider the answer to be about .00000001%. :D

I truly hope that you don't receive any upgrade, as you say you cannot afford it, and I have to say, once you have tried it, it's very hard to go back to a standard balcony.

I'll also say that Royal Caribbean looks at demographics, and if they determine that you can afford a suite on a regular basis, you might just be lucky enough to receive one.

I can absolutely afford to get a suite, I just can't justify double the price when it's still the same food and same view. I can afford first class flights, just can't make it work in my head when I get there the same time as everybody else.

I just booked a cruise in a few weeks, inside would've been $1400 and balcony is $1700. I can justify the $300 for the little extra room, view, and fresh air. On the same cruise, a suite would be $4000 or more. I cruise 2-5 times a year, suites would cost me about $8000 more a year without adding any more actual travel time. Can I do it? Sure, but I view that as a poor return on investment.

But I can see how a suite makes sense for someone that takes a cruise every other year or just has oodles of money. Alas, I will never get to experience one and I'm fine with that.

In this particular situation, I bought a balcony guarantee with Liberty having only 2 balconies left that fit my family. Obviously Royal isn't going to sell more guarantees than balconies they actually have...not sure why I thought they might.

Edited by krisko

Even as prices of the full suites continue to soar, people are willing to pay.

It also is a factor of supply and demand as on Oasis class ships, for example, there are only 166 suites (JS and higher) out of 2,700 staterooms, which is only about 6% of the total. And of that amount, JS's account for a little more than half of them. I would guess that ratio is probably very similar across all RCI ship classes.

If a passenger wants to book a suite - especially a GS or higher - then they would likely book early to assure they get one as they are limited in availability.

If it looks like you cannot afford suites in the future, well, you get the picture.

I have witnessed first and second time cruisers upgraded from a balcony to a full suite, and once they have tried it, most never go back to a balcony.

Rick

Wow, I think there is def some truth to this. On my last Celebrity cruise I booked a Sky Suite. I was originally going to book a balcony for my cruise departing tomorrow but decided to go for the Jr Suite Guarantee bc the difference was about $50 pp. Lo and behold, a few days later I received my room assignment and much to my surprise and delight, we were assigned a Grand Suite! I know there were definitely Jr. Suites left so I had no explanation as to why the Upgrade Fairy chose me but I was not going to complain! So I do think there is some truth to what Rick posted above.

As I understand it, if it is to be a C & A non-revenue upgrade, they will typically start at Pinnacle Club then Diamond Plus first. If none of those levels are on your cruise they could then go to Diamond, etc. Within each tier it is in order of member points, highest to lowest.

While that sounds logical and reasonable, there are way too many examples of Platinum and even Gold members on this board who have received upgrades to make me confident that they actually follow that hierarchy reliably.

Just curious.... exactly what demographics do you think Royal is looking at to determine if someone can afford a suite on a regular basis? It's not like they are looking at people's tax returns and credit reports, LOL.

It is unusual to be able to book a guarantee cabin for anything other than 2 people. I have occasionally seen them available for a single though.

I know if you book a guarantee, you can't add a 3rd person even if the assigned room allows it.

While that sounds logical and reasonable, there are way too many examples of Platinum and even Gold members on this board who have received upgrades to make me confident that they actually follow that hierarchy reliably.

Certainly not saying it is carved in stone and exceptions aren't made, but here is the current "policy" per the RCI website regarding C & A non-revenue upgrades, to which I was referring:

Q: How does the upgrade policy work?

A: Royal Caribbean most often sails at full capacity, and therefore opportunities for upgrades are limited. Upgrades, when available, are at the discretion of Royal Caribbean and can be applied any time before the sail date.

Upgrades will be offered to Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club members. The maximum complimentary upgrade allocation is one super category (Inside to Outside; Outside to Balcony; Balcony to Junior Suite, Junior Suite to Grand Suite, Grand Suite to Owner Suite).

We will contact you through your most recent email address provided in your My Cruises account . In order to be considered, you must go online in the Crown & Anchor section of RoyalCaribbean.com and fill out your upgrade preferences in your profile information.

I agree as well that it likely is not followed strictly. Especially in the past before this policy was published, as a few years back we had an upgrade as Diamond.

A little more info from Royals website. I am Diamond Plus and logged into my account and under current news on complimentary upgrades it states Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club members will be the First to be offered complimentary upgrades.

The word first is what I have a major problem with because it is not something Royal actually does. We just did a cruise on the Allure and the week we sailed there were many suites available and I noticed how some members on our roll call (one with only four cruises) got upgraded to a junior suite from a balcony. We were in a balcony B1 and had filled out the upgrade prefernces on our profiles for automatic upgrades and we never got an upgrade. We had already cruised 25 nights this year with Royal in Junior Suites and we paid for the suites with no complimentary upgrades.

So no matter what Royal says I think your best bet to get a complimentary upgrade is not to sail to many times with Royal. of course that is just my opinion.

A little more info from Royals website. I am Diamond Plus and logged into my account and under current news on complimentary upgrades it states Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club members will be the First to be offered complimentary upgrades.

The word first is what I have a major problem with because it is not something Royal actually does. We just did a cruise on the Allure and the week we sailed there were many suites available and I noticed how some members on our roll call (one with only four cruises) got upgraded to a junior suite from a balcony. We were in a balcony B1 and had filled out the upgrade prefernces on our profiles for automatic upgrades and we never got an upgrade. We had already cruised 25 nights this year with Royal in Junior Suites and we paid for the suites with no complimentary upgrades.

So no matter what Royal says I think your best bet to get a complimentary upgrade is not to sail to many times with Royal. of course that is just my opinion.

What they should say is that D+ and Pinnacle are the first to get upgrades from the C&A department. The Revenue Dept. does their upgrades before C&A, without regard to C&A level.

It's "just your opinion" which is wrong, but remember everyone has one..:)