Taking Taxi's to Excursions on our own.....

I am looking for any advice about taking taxi's on our own when we get into our ports of call. Anyone has any problems? Advice? We sail in April 2015 and we didn't care for the excursions offered by RC so we book our own through Resort for a Day. We were told taxi's are always at the port and to just tell them where you want to go. Wondering if it is safe to do that or advice for people you have used taxi's. Going to Cozamel Mexico, Grand Cayman and Falmouth,Jamacia.

We need to taxi to Hilton Rose Hall in Jamacia, Westin Grand Cayman and Cozamel Palace in Mexico

I am looking for any advice about taking taxi's on our own when we get into our ports of call. Anyone has any problems? Advice? We sail in April 2015 and we didn't care for the excursions offered by RC so we book our own through Resort for a Day. We were told taxi's are always at the port and to just tell them where you want to go. Wondering if it is safe to do that or advice for people you have used taxi's. Going to Cozamel Mexico, Grand Cayman and Falmouth,Jamacia.

We need to taxi to Hilton Rose Hall in Jamacia, Westin Grand Cayman and Cozamel Palace in Mexico

These islands make their living from tourists. I have never been to a port where the taxi's weren't plentiful and readily available.

Transportation to your excursion will be a non-issue.....

Enjoy your cruise!!!

No problem at all taking local taxis. What I would recommend is going to the ports of call boards and post your specific question in each of the ports you will be going to.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

I don't think there are differences in any of them, but in some (Puerto Vallarta comes to mind) you should look for a certain type. Those that know the ports well can help in that respect.

I will say we have done taxis in Cozumel numerous times without incident. When you leave the port building there is a line for taxis. They will get you where you need to go.

We always take taxis in just about every port, and have been doing so for years. We've never had any problems. No experience in Jamaica, but in Cozumel and Grand Cayman......no worries! The last time we were in Grand Cayman, we did the Westin. You can share a taxi with others on the way out, even if they are not going to the Westin. On the way back.....the wonderful folks at the hotel will get you a taxi very quickly. You will pay just a little more going back to the ship since you will be the only fare.

Been to all three of those ports many times, used the local taxi and you should have no problem. Just have plenty of small bills (Guest Services can hook you up there). If you arrange for a taxi to meet you, just make sure you and the driver compare watches - local time can differ from ship's time.

Please, do you mind telling me if you need a day reservation at the Westin?

Grand Cayman and Cozumel are fine but we stay within the port in Falmouth.

Our adult children walked out of the cruise port, found a driver at random, had a great day diving and sight seeing. They are much braver (or more naive) than we are.

Yipes! What happened?

LuLu

We went to Grand Cayman and planned to take a taxi to the turtle farm. Most of the cruising we have done has been in big groups so we have never negotiated travel on the islands. When we got into grand cayman we asked about a ride to the turtle farm. The lady told us she would take us to the turtle farm and on a 'tour' of the island for $20 per person. We figured, sure why not. She took the money then told us to wait while she got a few more people. We were kind of shocked because we didn't realize she wanted to fill up a bus, we thought we were just getting a cab. Another man walked up and said he would join us. When she asked him for the money, he said he would pay when we were en route. That's when I realized we had messed up. We stood there for AN HOUR while she held our money and walked around trying to solicit other people. The whole time I was sick to my stomach. She kept saying for us to wait another ten minutes and if she didn't get anyone, she would give us our money back. Finally at the hour mark with six of us suckers waiting, she handed ALL of the money to ONE guy who wasn't with us and said 'never mind, i can't get enough people'. Then she started to walk away while everyone freaked about getting their money from this guy. I had to practically block her from leaving while the guy counted everyone's money and handed it out to us.:eek: Additionally she got into an argument with another cab driver and the police threatened to arrest her if she didn't calm down. When we finally got our money back, I was too afraid to try getting another cab. We couldn't find the bus depot so we wound up walking around and then going back to the ship. The turtle farm was the one thing I wanted to do the whole cruise and I missed it. :( I was super bummed.

We went to Grand Cayman and planned to take a taxi to the turtle farm. Most of the cruising we have done has been in big groups so we have never negotiated travel on the islands. When we got into grand cayman we asked about a ride to the turtle farm. The lady told us she would take us to the turtle farm and on a 'tour' of the island for $20 per person. We figured, sure why not. She took the money then told us to wait while she got a few more people. We were kind of shocked because we didn't realize she wanted to fill up a bus, we thought we were just getting a cab. Another man walked up and said he would join us. When she asked him for the money, he said he would pay when we were en route. That's when I realized we had messed up. We stood there for AN HOUR while she held our money and walked around trying to solicit other people. The whole time I was sick to my stomach. She kept saying for us to wait another ten minutes and if she didn't get anyone, she would give us our money back. Finally at the hour mark with six of us suckers waiting, she handed ALL of the money to ONE guy who wasn't with us and said 'never mind, i can't get enough people'. Then she started to walk away while everyone freaked about getting their money from this guy. I had to practically block her from leaving while the guy counted everyone's money and handed it out to us.:eek: Additionally she got into an argument with another cab driver and the police threatened to arrest her if she didn't calm down. When we finally got our money back, I was too afraid to try getting another cab. We couldn't find the bus depot so we wound up walking around and then going back to the ship. The turtle farm was the one thing I wanted to do the whole cruise and I missed it. :( I was super bummed.

Thanks for telling us. Hate it happen to you. :(

A good reminder to take a car size taxi rather than a taxi van.

LuLu

We often wait till portside to grab a cab but have also waited for a small van 6-8 people. We have never paid until AFTER the tour. This keeps your driver a bit more honest.

Even if you pay enroute, first stop and they could be gone. Now what?:mad:

We often wait till portside to grab a cab but have also waited for a small van 6-8 people. We have never paid until AFTER the tour. This keeps your driver a bit more honest.

Even if you pay enroute, first stop and they could be gone. Now what?:mad:

Good point. Maybe paying at the end is the key. :) Normally, when we have traveled we have been with a group large enough to fill the van and we have had someone more experienced doing the negotiations. ;)

Hard lesson learned :( Our last stop in Antigua we wanted to go to Valley Church beach. Signed on with a lady for a fair price (did NOT give her any money). She then spent 15 minutes looking for other riders with no success, kept telling us to wait. Finally I gave up, found another guy who was great and took just the three of us for even less money. At the agreed upon time, he was there to pick us up. Don't ever give a "taxi" money up front for a ride somewhere!

We have encountered the 'wait to fill up the van' experience many a time - now we always make sure it is a small vehicle to avoid this. If we find otherwise we walk away and look elsewhere.

Have not taken a taxi in Jamaica, just be advised that while many have had no problems (we had a lovely ship's tour on a catamaran last time) the US State Department does not have very nice things to say about safety in Jamaica. Read it and decide on your own.

The only time we have had an issue with a taxi driver in the Caribbean was in Barbados. From what I have read (and experienced) it is apparently quite common for the driver to quote you one price and then try to hold you up for a higher price once you reach your destination. We refused to pay extra and after quite an argument we said we were going to call the police if he did not stop trying to rip us off. That was the end of that.

On all other islands we have had no issue (and we have done this many, many times)

Edited by phoenix_dream

Grand Cayman has bus service, too...$2.50 pp, too...very easy for getting to the beach!

We used the bus in Grand Cayman. It was great. It's a small van that holds about 6-8 people. There are no bus stop signs. We toured the island using the bus and relied on locals to tell us where to catch it. At one point we found ourselves on a deserted street waiting for the bus. We were a little scared we'd never get back to the ship because there weren't any taxis or other cars anywhere in sight. It eventually came though, just like they said it would. It's so cheap, and it was a great way to see the island. It won't take you right to the port, but it stops about 1-2 blocks away and the driver will tell you which way to walk to get back. I really disliked Grand Cayman, but our bus experience/adventure was so fun!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by TripleU

On Grand Cayman I would recommend the bus instead of a cab. It's cheaper ($2.50 US) and they leave on a regular schedule every 15 minutes (no waiting for them to fill up). From the port, cross the street and take Fort Street two short blocks inland to the Public Library. Get on the Route 1 (Yellow) or the Route 2 (Lime Green) bus and tell your driver that you are going to the Westin. When they drop you off, make sure they show you where to catch the bus back to the port.

http://thebusschedule.com/EN/ky/

Guest maddycat

What ever you do, make sure that you leave plenty of time to get back to the ship. Traffic can be very heavy on the islands and you don't want to miss your ship.

Cozumel and Cayman Island will be fine. Falmouth - I would be cautious. We had a pre arranged driver last year. I would not feel comfortable getting in a random taxi.

Good point above to give yourselves LOTS of time - in fact twice as much as you need - to get back. Back in our early days of more care free travel - we had to ditch the taxi too many times and jog back to the ship. I recall St Thomas was the worst for taxi traffic.

good luck

M

Edited by cruisegirl1