does HA MDR offer regional menu items?

Notamegagirl

The short answer to your question is: Yes. Expect some unique events, entertainment, and possibly menu items in the MDR.

Since the adoption of the "On Location" program aboard the ships, I have noticed an increase in the number of events that are designed to offer a local flavor: i.e Tasmanian Cheese Tasting at the Mid-Ships Pool area while visiting Burnie. Dockside entertainment upon arrival and/or departure of the ship sometimes happens. Onboard programs in the main showroom during a port visit sometimes happen. Special items on the MDR menu may appear, such as while in Australian waters: Filet of Kangaroo. (Which was quite good, I might add.)

It does depend upon the cruise, maybe the Hotel Director, and maybe the Cruise Director. I have never been able to determine just who is responsible for arranging such events. The on-board personnel? Seattle's staff?

100% agree: such events add much to one's cruise experience!

Thanks for all the help, hope we'll have some great regional cuisine options re: tropical and local (roo's and gators maybe too exotic), As for entertainment want to see some great local artists, hopefully not just in hnl, was looking forward to Saturday night out on the town...appreciate any insight from previous HA hawaii/tahiti cruisers, thanks!

Thanks for all the help, hope we'll have some great regional cuisine options re: tropical and local (roo's and gators maybe too exotic), As for entertainment want to see some great local artists, hopefully not just in hnl, was looking forward to Saturday night out on the town...appreciate any insight from previous HA hawaii/tahiti cruisers, thanks!

Kakalina I know has done that cruise numerous times... would be a great resource if they happen to see this post

We did a similar itinerary with HAL a few years ago and enjoyed some regional food, and also had some locals board a couple of times for entertainment.

One of my favorites was the Polynesian dancers and drummers that boarded the one day when in French Polynesia. HAL gave them day passes to the ship where they were able to enjoy our meals (boy, were they ever excited!), and the crew were awesome with them.

Their performance that night in the show theatre was wonderful, and the totally packed venue erupted at the end of the performance with well earned applause and whistles. They did an encore also, and no one left before the end. If I remember correctly, we were late leaving port as the performers had not yet debarked due to their popularity. A very memorable evening.

It was a great experience for both us, and them, as it was a very unique opportunity for the performers.

There were also cooking demonstrations with regional dishes, dance lessons, and lectures on the flora, fauna and stars from that area.

Each ship seems to do things a bit differently, but I feel strongly that you will find many regional additions to augment your cruise experience. I'm sure you will have a fabulous trip. It is a beautiful area of the world to discover, and HAL puts on a pretty good event! :)

On our cruise around Spain there was an evening dinner around the pool. It included a paella, (which was not good) , a couple Spanish cheeses, breads and wines( available for purchase). The rest of the foods were barbecue basics. We in fact were disappointed in the lack of anything Spanish in the MDR ...and that included amazingly a lack of interesting fish entrees.

Actually the only time we are served traditional Ethnic choices is on river cruises.;)

On our cruise around Spain there was an evening dinner around the pool. It included a paella, (which was not good) , a couple Spanish cheeses, breads and wines( available for purchase). The rest of the foods were barbecue basics. We in fact were disappointed in the lack of anything Spanish in the MDR ...and that included amazingly a lack of interesting fish entrees.

Actually the only time we are served traditional Ethnic choices is on river cruises.;)

Most fish on most cruise ships is frozen.

Most fish on most cruise ships is frozen.

Yes I realize that. But I can eat a different fish entree every night on other lines. Very disappointing on HAL for us a couple weeks ago. I didn't expect fresh caught Med. fish. Just fish from anywhere:rolleyes:.....maybe prepared in a local way.

When we did the HI / so Pacific cruise a few years ago, we had excellent regional foods and beverages, entertainment, and activities. Will never forget the 82-year old English gardener who took the hula classes. He had a fabulous time and was so much fun to watch when they had their recital.

I have done this particular cruise numerous times. The local entertainment is wonderful. They bring on dance troupes in Honolulu, Tahiti and sometimes Bora Bora.

One night in Bora Bora the will have a luau with local foods. There is usually a luau in Honolulu on the overnight and they bring hula dancers on board.

There should be classes in hula dancing and lei making. Towards the end of the cruise those who participated in the dance lessons will have a demonstration for all on board.

There will be a wonderful crossing the equator party.

I have written several reviews on these boards for this cruise here is a link to one of them:http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=66142

Edited by kakalina