What do you consider Smart Casual?

atdahop

Smart casual is what I would wear to meet the parents of the person of I wanted to marry for the first time, assuming that I was invited to their house for dinner.

Appropriate for the weather...so a sundress could apply, capris could apply. Not necessarily business related...so depending on your personal style, maybe yes or no for slacks, if weather appropriate.

I have worn sundresses, party dresses, capris, skirts of all sorts (pencil, A-line, maxi), any shirt that would be labeled a "blouse" and non-graphic knit shirts, including well-fitting camis/tanks. I have always cruised in warm weather, so never worn pants of any sort, nor a jacket or other overlayer.

Sundresses, skirt, nice capris, nice looking jeans. Not shorts, not swim coverup, not creased lightweight capris.

And good shoes. Sandals or ballet flats. Never crocs or flip flops.

Edited by JanineM

And good shoes. Sandals or ballet flats. Never crocs or flip flops.

Yes! Don't forget your shoes.......no flip flops if you want to dress "smart casual" IMO. I'm on the fence about capris, because I hate the look in general and have yet to see any woman looking anything but shlubby in them, but I'm sure there are exceptions (just as there are smart looking shorts and shlubby looking shorts).

What many people wear as "formal" on a cruise, I actually consider to be "Smart Casual" - the black pants with "sparkly" or "dressy tops" ...

But that's what I, too, wear on formal nights, on cruises, anyway!

For smart casual, sundresses, nice slacks or capris with a nice top. No zories (flip-flops). I don't wear shorts of any type for Smart Casual. I don't wear jeans, either, but I think nice jeans are okay.

Mr Chew wears a polo shirt with nice slacks for Smart Casual. For formal nights he adds a sports coat, even though we don't consider a sports coat to be formal.

(I should add that we live outside of Washington DC, and have gone to dinners/etc where Formal means Formal ... and your sports coat or black pants with "sparkly" tops won't get you in the door.)

Personally, I do not consider jeans smart casual unless they are trouser pants made of denim without the external "jean seaming." Jeans, flip flops, shorts etc. are casual and appropriate for the day although I can't imagine wearing actual jeans in a warm climate. I'm on the fence with capris only because there are some awful baggy looking ones, but I've also seen some well put together outfits with sandals, jewelry and tops that make it smart casual as opposed to grocery store shopping attire so I think capris well put together can fall into the smart casual category.

Funny comments about capris on this thread. It makes me realize that capris, as a bottom, don't usually have a qualifier. Pants...we can talk about sweat pants through and to dress slacks. But usually, capris are just capris, for whatever reason. It stands to reason that, like pants, the style of capri that would be best suited to "smart casual" would include the same qualifiers that would apply to "pants."