good hotels in seattle

saltandpepper02476

We have stayed at Inn at the Market and the Doubletree Arctic Club. Both are nice hotels. The Arctic Club is in an old building and beautifully updated.

We stayed in Seattle both pre and post cruise this past July and were surprised at how expensive hotels were. A previous trip was in Sept a few years ago and I don't recall being shocked at hotel costs. So maybe it's due to the summer season. The Arctic Club was way too expensive for our pre-cruise days in July, so we stayed at Inn at the Market. It wasn't cheap, but it wasn't outrageous. We got a decent price on the Arctic club just a week after that for the post-cruise day.

Have you tried looking on a search site? I can't name any here, except Tripadvisor because it's a sister site to CC. If you put in the dates you want on Tripadvisor, it will search availability and prices for you.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

I am already reserved at Pensione Nichols for next August. It's $170/ night... a B&B located a block or so from the Market.

I like the idea of staying some place local than an impersonal international brand.

Also look at the West Coast Departures board here on CC.

There are any number of "good" hotels in downtown Seattle, but be prepared to pay an arm & a leg for them. :eek:

I recently spent one night at the SeaTac Hilton, and four nights at the downtown Grand Hyatt. It was a matter of close my eyes, book, then close my eyes again so I wouldn't see the bills.

If you go further out from downtown you can find some places at a more reasonable (relatively speaking) price point.

VermeulT made a good suggestion to check the West Coast departures forum here.

Because of the expensive downtown hotels, I opted to stay near Seatac for my pre- and post- cruise stays on my recent Alaska cruise. I stayed at the Doubletree across from the airport, and have also stayed at the nearby Hampton Inn and the Doubletree Southcenter. I didn't use it, but the Hilton has a walkway connecting to the light rail that goes downtown. As much as there is to do in downtown Seattle, I just couldn't hack the prices.

Roz

As I'm originally from Seattle, we don't often stay in downtown hotels (family has much better rates :D). There have been a few times though that we needed to do so. We found our best price several years ago using Priceline. Our search was limited to 4*, downtown area and wound up at the Grand Hyatt. We loved it so much we stayed there again this summer. It was a huge 'sticker shock' this time compared to Priceline, but it fit our needs.

BTW, the Pike Place Market has the name because of the location, on Pike Place, at the west end of Pike Street. It's never been owned by a Pike family and thus isn't Pike's Market.

Ouch! July is expensive in Seattle! We only paid just over $200 at a major downtown hotel in September a couple years ago. The same hotel is now over $400 for next July.

igraf

Looking for nice hotel for 2 nights in Seattle for next July...usually stay at Marriott's but they are all so expensive!!! Know it is peak season but any other ideas...maybe all rooms are $300-$400 per night in July!

Don't think I can mention the website..........however........we always rent a condo. Most do require a 3 night stay but we always go in early. Joys of being retired!

My favorite is 2 blocks from Pike Place Market. Last Fall we paind $140 per night.

All of our pre and post cruise stays are in the SEATAC area. Have stayed at the Doubletree, Hilton, Radisson, Cedarbrook Lodge, Sleep Inn and the Coast. Would not stay at the Coast again. For all except the Sleep Inn, we have used Priceline or Hotwire and been very satisfied except for the Coast Hotel. Cedarbrook Lodge was awesome, as long as you don't have a problem walking. You would not believe you were near the airport or 2 blocks from a busy road. They had walking paths, ponds and lots of ammenities, including a wonderful breakfast buffet included in your stay. The prices would be high for that time of the year but a lot less than Downtown. Taking the light rail to Downtown Westin works well for us. If you can walk, it would not be a long walk to Pike Market. All of the SEATAC hotels will shuttle you to the light rail stop near the Hilton. They will also pick you up at that stop if you take the hotel phone number with you and call them when you are ready to be picked up.

Diane

Because of the expensive downtown hotels, I opted to stay near Seatac for my pre- and post- cruise stays on my recent Alaska cruise. I stayed at the Doubletree across from the airport, and have also stayed at the nearby Hampton Inn and the Doubletree Southcenter. I didn't use it, but the Hilton has a walkway connecting to the light rail that goes downtown. As much as there is to do in downtown Seattle, I just couldn't hack the prices.

Roz

We stayed at both double trees on our trip this summer and they were both nice. The one across from the airport was really convenient at 11 pm at night with two tired east coast kids.

Seeing I was 'doing my DH a favor" :) agreeing to go to Seattle and cruise Alaska he decided to treat to us a fabulous hotel and make the trip as wonderful as we could. We spent five nights at the Four Seasons and it was one of the best deluxe hotels we've ever enjoyed. It was far more casual than most city Four Seasons yet was SO well done. It fit the city and the city fit it. It never would have gone over in Boston but Boston's wouldn't work in Seattle. :) If you want unobtrusive but meticulous incredible service, this is the hotel to try IMO. One outdoor flight of stairs down to the water and so much to enjoy. We had fantastic stay there. As others have said restaurants and hotels in Seattle are costly but they are in Boston, too, so we are used to that.

Edited by sail7seas

Check out airbnb before you book any hotels. If you are a little adventurous, you will save some serious coin. We are just winding up three weeks in Spain, staying at five different places around Barcelona, Valencia and Alicante. Two were condos in golf resorts overlooking the courses, one a rooftop beach condo overlooking the Med, one in a 200 year old restored building in the center of old town Valencia and the other up in Parc Guell in Barcelona. All were two bedroom, some two bath, all had fully equipped kitchens. Average cost was just under $100 per night for three people. All but Barcelona included parking. All included washing machines and wi-fi.

Check out airbnb before you book any hotels. If you are a little adventurous, you will save some serious coin. We are just winding up three weeks in Spain, staying at five different places around Barcelona, Valencia and Alicante. Two were condos in golf resorts overlooking the courses, one a rooftop beach condo overlooking the Med, one in a 200 year old restored building in the center of old town Valencia and the other up in Parc Guell in Barcelona. All were two bedroom, some two bath, all had fully equipped kitchens. Average cost was just under $100 per night for three people. All but Barcelona included parking. All included washing machines and wi-fi.

Those sound like fabulous places. You did Good. :)

Hope your trip was wonderful!

The Hilton is nice and looks like it has reasonable rates. When we stayed there, they provide a free shuttle to the pier.

Which Hilton? Downtown? Or SeaTac? And when was that?

I stayed at the downtown location in 2010, and SeaTac in 2012, each before a Seattle departure cruise. Neither had a shuttle to the pier at that time. I am wondering if one of them does now. It would come in handy if I sail from Seattle again.

We had a fab stay at the Fairmont Olympic Hotel in July. Old world elegance , great location. We got the rooms for $200 on Hotwire. Very pleased with the hotel and would not hesitate to stay there again ( and I am picky :). Pay extra and have the amazing breakfast in the Georgian Room. Oh so nice.

We go to Seattle frequently, usually for 1 - 3 nights per trip. I have found that almost every time I have found at least one of the major (and expensive) hotels in downtown Seattle having a special with rooms at around 60% of the routine going rate. Once in awhile I do to succeed at this, but usually I do. However, it does take a few phone calls for the lowest rates. Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, with individual phone calls I can usually beat (by 10 - 30%) what I can find online through travelocity and such similar websites. (Perhaps the mystery hotels are a better deal yet, but I do like to know where I am staying before making a $$ commitment.

We go to Seattle frequently, usually for 1 - 3 nights per trip. I have found that almost every time I have found at least one of the major (and expensive) hotels in downtown Seattle having a special with rooms at around 60% of the routine going rate. Once in awhile I do to succeed at this, but usually I do. However, it does take a few phone calls for the lowest rates. Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, with individual phone calls I can usually beat (by 10 - 30%) what I can find online through travelocity and such similar websites. (Perhaps the mystery hotels are a better deal yet, but I do like to know where I am staying before making a $$ commitment.

I'm with you. :)

I want to know before I book just where I'll be staying. I don't like surprises.