Birth certificate & maiden name questions

AidenandCasensMommy

I'm taking my mom on her first cruise next year on the Dream. Of course her birth certificate has her maiden name. Her DL has her married name. Some things I've read say to bring your marriage license. Well, she married very young. Has been divorced & married again later. So she would need to find 2 marriage certificates from 45 & 30 years ago since her name changed twice. I'm sure she doesn't have either of them. Do you think she will be able to board without them?

I'm taking my mom on her first cruise next year on the Dream. Of course her birth certificate has her maiden name. Her DL has her married name. Some things I've read say to bring your marriage license. Well, she married very young. Has been divorced & married again later. So she would need to find 2 marriage certificates from 45 & 30 years ago since her name changed twice. I'm sure she doesn't have either of them. Do you think she will be able to board without them?

She should bring the document that matches her current last name to support the use of that name, but will probably not need it. We've brought our marriage license for every cruise (except the last one when we used Enhanced Drivers Licenses) and have never had to show it.

She should bring the document that matches her current last name to support the use of that name, but will probably not need it. We've brought our marriage license for every cruise (except the last one when we used Enhanced Drivers Licenses) and have never had to show it.

If she did not change back to her maiden name when she divorced and the current marriage license has her previous married name, she will need the linking documents to match back to her birth certificate name.

I know it's probably too late now, but a Passport would solve this problem. It's the only document she will need. Plus having the added security of being able to get home quickly in case of emergency. I'm not here to debate the issue, just simply stating an easy, streamlined way to go cruising without all the hassle.

I know it's probably too late now, but a Passport would solve this problem. It's the only document she will need. Plus having the added security of being able to get home quickly in case of emergency. I'm not here to debate the issue, just simply stating an easy, streamlined way to go cruising without all the hassle.

It's not too late, they aren't cruising until next year. She would probably need to submit similar documents in order to obtain a passport.

We may end up doing that just to be on the safe side. We've never had one on our past cruises but I know it's risky. I have a question about passports. Do we need the book & the card or only one of them?

We may end up doing that just to be on the safe side. We've never had one on our past cruises but I know it's risky. I have a question about passports. Do we need the book & the card or only one of them?

Just the book. It's so much easier than having to juggle papers and licenses. Even my kids have had a Passport since they were little.

Either would work, but the passport card could not be used to fly home if you needed to (although presumably the Consulate would have an easier time verifying your info since you are in the system already). There is no need to buy both of them.

NO married woman's name will be the same on her BC and DL. They are looking at matching the birthdate...not so much the last name. Of course, the ideal thing to do when you marry is to use your maiden name as your middle name.....Mary Sue Brown would be come Mary Brown Smith...that takes ALL the guess work out of it!

I've never needed my marriage lic.....not ever.

NO married woman's name will be the same on her BC and DL. They are looking at matching the birthdate...not so much the last name. Of course, the ideal thing to do when you marry is to use your maiden name as your middle name.....Mary Sue Brown would be come Mary Brown Smith...that takes ALL the guess work out of it!

Wrong!!!!! Some of us don't live in the Dark Ages and realize there is no reason to ever change our name upon marrying. Therefore, my driver's license and every other legal document from birth certificate on has the same name on it.

And yes, the name and birth dates must match.

A marriage license is not listed on Carnival's site or the Homeland Security's site about proper documentation. If the ML is needed, it would be listed.

10 cruises so far and I've never been asked for a ML.

Yes, a majority of women will have a different last name on their BC and their DL. But, a Marriage License is needed to get the new name on the DL. The cruise agents and other powers that be know that you don't just go into the DMV and ask for a new last name for the heck of it. They know that proper documentation was shown to get the new DL, therefore, that cancels out the need for them to see the ML when boarding a cruise ship.

A marriage license is not listed on Carnival's site or the Homeland Security's site about proper documentation. If the ML is needed, it would be listed.

10 cruises so far and I've never been asked for a ML.

Yes, a majority of women will have a different last name on their BC and their DL. But, a Marriage License is needed to get the new name on the DL. The cruise agents and other powers that be know that you don't just go into the DMV and ask for a new last name for the heck of it. They know that proper documentation was shown to get the new DL, therefore, that cancels out the need for them to see the ML when boarding a cruise ship.

The very first time I cruised (for my honeymoon), I had to show my marriage license. I thought it was because it was booked in my married name. I finally found out it was because I was 20. It requires you to show proof of marriage to cruise under the age of 21. I've never been asked for it again.

Me either.