So sad, but I must go. Maybe another time

FWIW - I just got off the Freedom on Sunday. During the Captains Q&A session I specifically asked if Freedom would be converting to Dynamic Dining during dry dock. He said that they had not finalized plans to do so. They need to "test" the program on Quantum before committing to it on Freedom or any other ship. They also confirmed the newest ship being built will be named Ovation.

Interesting how within the span of a couple of weeks the Hotel Director says yes it is and then the Captain says maybe.

Almost seems like RCI is having senior officers on board sending a whole lot of disinformation just to push everyone's buttons here on CC.

Interesting how within the span of a couple of weeks the Hotel Director says yes it is and then the Captain says maybe. The Hotel Director was sitting next to him when he made the statement!

Almost seems like RCI is having senior officers on board sending a whole lot of disinformation just to push everyone's buttons here on CC.

I agree, and what's even funnier is at the upper tier party, when they "officially" announced the name of the new ship is Ovation ...(which they swore was breaking news & was just decided upon), they mentioned that Cruise Critic had been throwing that name around for weeks and had no idea where CC members could have gotten that info. It drew a chuckle from the few CC members in the room.

Edited by debitoo

Interesting how within the span of a couple of weeks the Hotel Director says yes it is and then the Captain says maybe.

Yeah, just a month or so ago BOTH were saying DD is coming during dry dock. Wasn't there a recent Captain change though? I believe Captain Tor just left Freedom for vacation a few weeks ago and Captain Ron is now on board. Captain Tor and Michael Rasmussen were the ones saying yes during the Q&A according to multiple reports here.

I really hope the rumor is true and one day it may happen but I don't think its going to happen in January :(

I wouldn't think of cancelling my cruise either way though.

Edited by ryano

You would really cancel a cruise based on the dining style possibly changing? Their plans for FOS are quite possibly still in flux, the drydock doesn't even occur for another 3 months. So why would they be expected to make official announcements they would then be bound to?

That said, if what room you will sit in when you eat your meals months from now makes or breaks your vacation you probably did the right thing by cancelling. I'm on the FOS in May 2015 and I'm actually hoping for DD. But if not that's fine too.

i respect that a lot of people cherish the traditional dining experience but I'm pretty indifferent to it. Give me some good food and nice service and I'm good to go.

I am totally new to the RCL section of these boards.......I normally sail DCL but booked Allure for 2016. The RCL agent I booked with told me that Allure would be getting Dynamic Dining (I knew nothing about this before booking) and that the new restaurants would be Chic, Grande and American Icon Grill- was he incorrect? It honestly makes no difference, we had no idea what dynamic dining was until Saturday....just curious.

I am totally new to the RCL section of these boards.......I normally sail DCL but booked Allure for 2016. The RCL agent I booked with told me that Allure would be getting Dynamic Dining (I knew nothing about this before booking) and that the new restaurants would be Chic, Grande and American Icon Grill- was he incorrect? It honestly makes no difference, we had no idea what dynamic dining was until Saturday....just curious.

All we know for sure is what Royal has revealed about Quantum:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/quantumoftheseas/dining/restaurants/

We won't know what's being done to Allure until Royal decides to tell us.

You would really cancel a cruise based on the dining style possibly changing? Their plans for FOS are quite possibly still in flux, the drydock doesn't even occur for another 3 months. So why would they be expected to make official announcements they would then be bound to?

That said, if what room you will sit in when you eat your meals months from now makes or breaks your vacation you probably did the right thing by cancelling. I'm on the FOS in May 2015 and I'm actually hoping for DD. But if not that's fine too.

i respect that a lot of people cherish the traditional dining experience but I'm pretty indifferent to it. Give me some good food and nice service and I'm good to go.

Very well said :)

All we know for sure is what Royal has revealed about Quantum:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/quantumoftheseas/dining/restaurants/

We won't know what's being done to Allure until Royal decides to tell us.

Thank you. Hmmm.....so I'm guessing RCL agents are like DCL CMs....you can get a different answer from every one that you speak with. :D

It really makes no difference to us, the agent just mentioned it to me when we were going over dining. :)

Edited by tweis

This will help describe it for you. It is being initiated on Quantum class ships with their launch but is reportedly being added for spring '15 launch on Oasis and Freedom during their upcoming dry docks.

Thank you, leavitallbehind. Dynamic Dining doesn't sound too enticing to me. If I am on a ship with it, I will have no choice but to try it. I wouldn't cancel a cruise beause of it; however, I might not choose a particular cruise because of it.

Who knows? I never expected to choose anything larger than Celebrity Solstice class, and here we are going on a b2b on Allure in several weeks.

I am going to wait and see what all the folks here at CruiseCritic have to say about DD. The real facts/details as to the success of such a venture will eventually emerge over time on these boards ...

Bill

Ok, I have been reading these posts and I don't understand why everyone is having such a hissy fit. So he canceled and booked on the Regal Princess. What is the big deal??? I, like him enjoy the dining room experience. The ambience, the crew singing and having a good time while getting the passengers involved. But this Dynamic Dining they're supposedly going to do, will not give anyone the dining room experience. But bottom line is this....Why does RCI have to be so hush hush about it? Are they afraid that more people won't like the new idea and do the same and cancel? As far as myself and the OP, we can't be the only ones who would rather have the dining experience over the dynamic dining.

Ok, I have been reading these posts and I don't understand why everyone is having such a hissy fit. So he canceled and booked on the Regal Princess. What is the big deal??? I, like him enjoy the dining room experience. The ambience, the crew singing and having a good time while getting the passengers involved. But this Dynamic Dining they're supposedly going to do, will not give anyone the dining room experience. But bottom line is this....Why does RCI have to be so hush hush about it? Are they afraid that more people won't like the new idea and do the same and cancel? As far as myself and the OP, we can't be the only ones who would rather have the dining experience over the dynamic dining.

Only one having a hissy fit is OP. I would define cancelling a cruise based on the possibility that they MIGHT change the dining style on the ship (or might not, who knows), then coming here to complain about it, as a hissy fit.

Lots of people like the traditional MDR experience, I do too. Will I like DD as much? Who knows since nobody has even tried it yet. Either way it's far from a deal breaker for me and I suspect for most people.

And they're not hush-hush about it at all. They announced it on Quantum class many months ago. You can look at all the restaurants, menus, and exactly how it will work on the web site, it's no secret.

The only thing up in the air is which other ships it will be moving to, which probably hasn't even been decided yet.

Aside from the dining changes, I think the OP has a right to be unsure of the cruise. We booked Oasis knowing that she was going into drydock. However, it appears that major changes are now taking place which we did not know about. People as far out as 1 month after drydock are having their cabins changed. apparently work will still be going on during my cruise. When I wrote to royal they said not to worry. Well if they are putting cabins in place of VCL that is something I would want to know ahead of time. We love the VCL. Too late for us to cancel. Look at the webcam for the boardwalk. Being demolished as passengers are on her. Did they know this? would they have cancelled if they did? Don't know. However, with all that being said, I am still going on a cruise and will enjoy no matter what. Just don't know why all the secrecy

Count me among your ranks. We are booked on FOS Feb 8 sailing so we may have DD. I think it's very rude of RCL not being more transparent and letting people know one way or the other. I hate us having to be one of the early birds having to work out all the kinks of DD. I can see it being a diaster but crossing my fingers it won't be!

Well Said.

Don't guests pick their cruise line based on relatively minor differences in food service and other shipboard policies? I can see OP's point. If he's making a choice between Freedom, Freedom converted to DD, and Princess, he might be happier on Princess than Freedom with DD.

Its hard to please everyone, but I think a good solution would be to leave dining on existing ships alone, and institute new concepts on new builds only. That way RC can offer a range of experiences depending on ship booked.

As non-dining analogy, I don't want to see the theme park ambiance of Oasis/Quantum class added to older ships - give me a Radiance-class anytime.

Look at the webcam for the boardwalk. Being demolished as passengers are on her. Did they know this? would they have cancelled if they did? Don't know.

The current webcams are of Oasis in dry dock - no passengers are on board.

Here is another thread with a couple of pictures of her dry dock that you may find interesting.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2109318

When Batman & Robin got too old to fight crime they were no longer

known as the dynamic duo and instead became known for their eating exploits, otherwise known as dynamic dining.

Funny.

Speaking of funny. I have a pair of side to side S2S cruises in February. First 7 days I am on the Oasis, there is still nothing on the RCI site to book dining. The week after we are on the Liberty both sailing from FLL. MTD is available to book for the Liberty cruise. I suspect that when I can book dining on the Oasis it will be Dynamic Dining.

I am guessing I will experience DD prior to my 2016 Anthem cruise.

jc

I don't see the big deal to be honest. Dynamic dining may not be your thing, it might be your thing. You'll never know unless you try it. I always preferred set dining times. Tow years ago DW convinced me to give My Time a shot. I didn't think I'd like it. Turns out I do and in fact prefer it.

Booked on Freedom 4/12/2015. Pretty sure I will get enough to eat. I'd be happy to eat right in between early and late seating anyway so I will take some flexibility if it comes my way.

My main concern with DD has to do with allergies-my wife and daughter both have dietary restrictions and I don't know how well that will translate to a "non-MDR" setup. It has been nice to get all of the allergy stuff out of the way the first night and not have to revisit the topic every time we show up to eat.

Funny.

Speaking of funny. I have a pair of side to side S2S cruises in February. First 7 days I am on the Oasis, there is still nothing on the RCI site to book dining. The week after we are on the Liberty both sailing from FLL. MTD is available to book for the Liberty cruise. I suspect that when I can book dining on the Oasis it will be Dynamic Dining.

I am guessing I will experience DD prior to my 2016 Anthem cruise.

jc

Not true for us. We sail on Feb 8 out of PC on the FOS and as of 5 min ago we could not book MTD reservations. So I called TA and he said they don't open any reservations for MTD until 90 days b4 cruise. (Nov 8)

OP is asking Royal to be provide more information on what their intention is with Dynamic Dining. It would be nice if this is a rumor they would just quash it. If it is definite, then let people know. If they are waiting to see if DD is successful on Quantum, then I am sure they can put a positive spin on the wait. But at least people who are booking now have official information that this might happen. Why is Royal afraid of telling people what is going on?

OP is asking Royal to be provide more information on what their intention is with Dynamic Dining. It would be nice if this is a rumor they would just quash it. If it is definite, then let people know. If they are waiting to see if DD is successful on Quantum, then I am sure they can put a positive spin on the wait. But at least people who are booking now have official information that this might happen. Why is Royal afraid of telling people what is going on?

Just a guess, but I don't think they know exactly what's going on, and they don't want to be in the position of revealing some plan that they end up abandoning.

no offense OP, but if this is your biggest concern in life, then IDK what to tell you...yea you spent money, food is going to be the same, unless you're worried but not being able to meet people or what not...there match.com...its obvious that the employees knows whats going on and will tell you whats going to change. Its unofficial information that isn't released until all is said and done. You're kind of making it seem as if they told you that they randomly decided to upcharge every customer a thousand dollars each on the room.

All I'm saying is there SO MUCH more to the cruise where one need not to worry about the concept of dining being changed.

Edited by Pandabear90