Celebrity is going downhill

Jeannine1026

Ya but that was when the economy was a hot mess.

At the time...

Celebrity figured out it was better to sail with 2000 pax who paid $ 500 vs half full with just 1000 who paid $ 1000

As they still had to pay their static costs (Fuel, Crew, Suppliers etc)

Besides they were counting on some of the extra 1000 folks being NEW Cruisers and getting them hooked into being repeat Customers

And guess what

It worked :D

--- --- ---

Economy is a lot different now. My first Caribbean Cruise on The Solstice in January 2012 in Concierge cost $ 1000 each. Today same dates on another S-Class Ship $ 1500+ (and rising).

RCCL stock January 2012 around $ 25... Today close to $ 70.

Ya I should have bought stock too !! :(

Cheers!

I did it for some years before the economy tanked. It was amazing how many other passengers didn't have a clue about calling and getting the difference refunded. Maybe too many found out LOL!

It is a Holiday cruise,Inside i paid $629 gpt a OBC from future cruise got another OBC for Loyality and got a hundred for holiday sailing. I just wanted to go oceanview the price is $799 then its reads PYP but when you call Celebrity they tell you that you cant have it

You could get it but you would lose all your OBC, hardly worth it.:(

I thought they were starting cruise/ski trips. @@

That would not be a bad idea. Thinking Alaska or Norway. Apparently Alaska has the only Ski Area that you can ski right down to Sea Level, right into the water if you like. It's somewhere near Anchorage. :D

Before the economy downturn Celebrity had a policy of refunding passengers whose fair went down after final payment. Then I think it was only obc and as late as 2012 some did get Obc at least partially back sometimes, sporadically, without rules that were consistent. It was a good will gesture.

:)

That is correct. And that was when the economy was even "hotter" than now--and we all know what happened with that. Kind of like RCCL stock...we bought mid $30.00 range in late 90s and watched it sink to under $6 around 10 years later. For those lamenting not buying earlier, a little history lesson:

RCCL has peaked over $50 per share 3 times in the last 2 decades: 2000, 2004 and 2011. Each time it sank to around $25 (or less) in ensuing years. History says you may get another chance to buy cheap. :)

That is correct. And that was when the economy was even "hotter" than now--and we all know what happened with that. Kind of like RCCL stock...we bought mid $30.00 range in late 90s and watched it sink to under $6 around 10 years later. For those lamenting not buying earlier, a little history lesson:

RCCL has peaked over $50 per share 3 times in the last 2 decades: 2000, 2004 and 2011. Each time it sank to around $25 (or less) in ensuing years. History says you may get another chance to buy cheap. :)

Interesting that the price of the shares dropped at those times but not with the GFC (Global financial crisis after the sub prime fiasco) in 2009.

I'm so tired of people downgrading X or any other cruise line for dropping prices after final payment.You thought you got a good deal when you booked, or else you wouldn't have booked.All cruise lines do this to fill the ships. Stores have clearance sales to rid merchandise. It doesn't mean that you can go in and get a refund of the difference on an item you bought months before.

I'm so tired of people downgrading X or any other cruise line for dropping prices after final payment.You thought you got a good deal when you booked, or else you wouldn't have booked.All cruise lines do this to fill the ships. Stores have clearance sales to rid merchandise. It doesn't mean that you can go in and get a refund of the difference on an item you bought months before.

Exactly.:D

To me it's pretty simple if I'm happy with what's on offer I book, if someone else gets a better deal good luck to them, if I can get the line to improve my deal good luck to me, if not so what? I was happy with what I signed up for.

Interesting that the price of the shares dropped at those times but not with the GFC (Global financial crisis after the sub prime fiasco) in 2009.

That is exactly when the 20 year low for RCCL was (under $6 per share): at the financial crisis of the spring of '09.

For us we can certainly be okay with what we booked, but we also are very aware, because Celebrity teaches us this, that prices will change and so will offers. Those of us living where we can cancel, renegotiate, reconsider sometimes do so.

Celebrity gained a lot of customers by guaranteeing the lowest rate after booking. Although I would be surprised if they returned to it.

When you book a cruise at a given fare, that's that. When I agree to a purchase at a given price, that is my decision. I run a small business. I would be bankrupt If I offered one client a discount, and all former clients wanted the same discount retroactively. Do you think airlines will give you a rebate if they offer a sale after you purchased a ticket? No. This is a silly gripe.

We can live in hope but those offers may be gone with the dinosaurs.

It Was before my time with Celebrity, but I recall it did make customers very happy and gave them a bit of trust in their choice of cruise lines.

Not holding my breath either for a return. Each style of pricing has it's own pros and cons. This one, with higher prices with benefits and much lower when they do not sell may have higher rates of cancellation and may also have less satisfaction for clients. Not privy to the actual stats, if even Celebrity has them. It could be the thinking is give everyone what they want higher prices with benefits plus lower prices than normal after final payment. More extreme variance.

If my hotel drops prices, I cancel and rebook. We also still have a couple of retail stores this is possible with here. It's possible with airlines too, just with cancelation fees, and hassle, few bother. We don't except for very expensive purchases.

When you book a cruise at a given fare, that's that. When I agree to a purchase at a given price, that is my decision. I run a small business. I would be bankrupt If I offered one client a discount, and all former clients wanted the same discount retroactively. Do you think airlines will give you a rebate if they offer a sale after you purchased a ticket? No. This is a silly gripe.

Just wanted to say...we were posting at the same time. I was not responding or being argumentative about your small business and how it must be run. I agree, most small businesses do operate as yours does and I doubt even with X's price guarantee of the past, everyone took advantage of it. Not sure if the Obc just showed up or they had to ask for it.

I just called Celebrity to change my inside stateroom to get a an oceanview stateroom I was informed that after final payment i was not able to do that. I wamted to change so i can get the pick your perk. I come to realize RCCL and Celebrity drop there prices as soon as final payment is due for the cruise.

After final payment has been made the options pretty much close and that is made very clear by Celebrity. In fact, if you used a travel agent he or she should have made you aware of it. If there is an upgrade available, you may be able to do take advantage of it for a fee. I am not of the opinion that Celebrity is going downhill. We think they are the best value in the premium cruise market today. Enjoy your cruise!

After final payment has been made the options pretty much close and that is made very clear by Celebrity. In fact, if you used a travel agent he or she should have made you aware of it. If there is an upgrade available, you may be able to do take advantage of it for a fee. I am not of the opinion that Celebrity is going downhill. We think they are the best value in the premium cruise market today. Enjoy your cruise!

Yesterday, we were able to move from a 2B balcony to a conceirage guarantee for no extra money as the prices were now the same. The cruise leaves in three weeks.

I think Celebrity is going down hill. Several years ago, we used to go with whoever had the best deal to where we wanted to go.The other lines were starting to slide, but not Celebrity. Until this past August are previous eleven cruises were on Celebrity. We noticed the slide, so in August we went on HAL's Amsterdam. The differnce between them and "X" has dropped considerably. We have a Christmas/New Years cruise booked on Princess to check them out. We have a B2B booked on the Equinox leaving in three weeks. How that cruise goes will go a long way in deciding what our future cruise plans will be. Do we stay with Celebrity, shop around, or go back to land based vacations? Right now, being Elite Plus is what keeps Celebrity in the lead. This is our take on the situation and I'm sure a lot of people feel different since this is a Celebrity board, but I figured I have the right to throw my two cents worth in.

Yesterday, we were able to move from a 2B balcony to a conceirage guarantee for no extra money as the prices were now the same. The cruise leaves in three weeks.

I think Celebrity is going down hill. Several years ago, we used to go with whoever had the best deal to where we wanted to go.The other lines were starting to slide, but not Celebrity. Until this past August are previous eleven cruises were on Celebrity. We noticed the slide, so in August we went on HAL's Amsterdam. The differnce between them and "X" has dropped considerably. We have a Christmas/New Years cruise booked on Princess to check them out. We have a B2B booked on the Equinox leaving in three weeks. How that cruise goes will go a long way in deciding what our future cruise plans will be. Do we stay with Celebrity, shop around, or go back to land based vacations? Right now, being Elite Plus is what keeps Celebrity in the lead. This is our take on the situation and I'm sure a lot of people feel different since this is a Celebrity board, but I figured I have the right to throw my two cents worth in.

Please let us know what you find. We were also of the opinion that during the downturn X kept the quality up better than others. It's been so long since we sailed elsewhere we do not know, but there are differences we have noticed. So i look forward to reading your findings.

Over the years we have noticed a few small changes on Celebrity but nothing that would keep us from sailing with them. The tote bags in Concierge are not as nice as the used to be and when breakfast was set up on our balcony, on our Trans Atlantic last November from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale, our stateroom attendant did not have a table cloth with him. There are a few other things but nothing that would stop us from sailing with Celebrity. I offer it up to costs going up in all areas and in order to stay competitive and make a profit prices are going to go up or cuts are going to be made. If we thought Celebrity were going downhill we would not waste our money and sail with them. We are on their Trans Atlantic out of Rome to Fort Lauderdale Nov. 5th.

Our last cruise on Celebrity was the transatlantic, on the Silohuette, in April. Here are a couple of the bigger differences we found. I know there will be Celebrity cheerleaders who were on that cruise who will disagree with our observations, that's their choice, but they didn't pay the bill, I did.

Captain's Club Party: In the past, they had several food stations set up and the singers or dancers put on about a fifteen minute show. This time, a few hot(were cold) snacks and no entertainment.

Cabin stewards: In the passed the cabin was always cleaned before noon in the morning, and always done by the time we got back from dinner, usually by 7:15 at the latest. This time we were lucky to have it done before noon and at night it wasn't done by the time we went to the show at 8:30. I mentioned this to the room steward and hotel manager and for a day or two it was o.k. and then back to normal.

Main Dining Room: We always get a table for two so we can get in and get out fairly fast. Fast to them one a hour and half, normally it was pushing two hours. In all our other cruises it was anywhere from fifty minutes to an hour, or so. Food was edible and that's about it. My wife loves seafood so on the fifteen day cruise, I expected her to have it at least twelve times. She had it about six times. After sending it back twice and choking it down the others, she switched to chick or pasta. I'm a beef eater. It's pretty sad when the best cuts of beef I had were ordered off the every day menu.

I got the same excuse every time, cutbacks to save money. What about raising the price?

On Holland, the Mariner's Party was the same, but the service and food was better. They have other issues that keep me from going back to them.

I might be in a miniority, but I have grown used to the way things were a few years ago, on Celebrity and I am willing to pay a little extra for them.