wine in carry on??

LALAFRANCE

I am not feeling bad for bringing two out of seven wine bottles without paying a corckage fee, since I'll "cork" my own bottle. I have never done this by the way but I will in 3 weeks for our in-room dinners.

Last cruise, I had to pay for another bottle in Le Bistro since the sticker was nowhere to be seen on the bottle we brought and for which we had already paid the corckage fee, so...

I am not feeling bad for bringing two out of seven wine bottles without paying a corckage fee, since I'll "cork" my own bottle. I have never done this by the way but I will in 3 weeks for our in-room dinners.

Last cruise, I had to pay for another bottle in Le Bistro since the sticker was nowhere to be seen on the bottle we brought and for which we had already paid the corckage fee, so...

So two wrongs don't make a right. As stated the corkage fee has nothing to do with who removes the cork.

I love your twisting of words. Do you see the word "find" in the highlighted section you posted? Nope. It says "any bottles you have" not "any bottles we find". No apology expected or given. You are wrong, plain and simple. Those are the facts, it's not an opinion. But it is a unique rationalization (at least to me) from a smuggler. At least your not claiming how much other money you're spending on board like most smugglers.

BTW, i did not call you a name, I called you what you are. Just because in your mind you twist it so you think you're not, you, in fact, are smuggling if you don't pay corkage on any wine bottle you bring on board.

You assumed wrong. They have found all of my bottles so far so I have no idea what I would do if they missed one. Knowing me, I would smugly stand there telling them they missed one and having them search again. I have ALWAYS paid all of my corkage. I am a lot of things but I am not a smuggler as you falsely accuse. I just don't make it easy on them. Their process is flawed, in my opinion, and can be improved.

If the time required to play hide and seek starts taking too long, they will review their process. Just let me declare the number of bottles on a form and do a quick verify. Maybe a sticker on the bag to speed up the process. If I am claiming 8 bottles, do you really think I am actually carrying 9 bottles? Instead, they act like Code Red TSA agents looking for contraband. No talking. No smiling. This is real serious business.

You know what they say about what happens when you assume. Well, you were successful for yourself.

Have a good day and enjoy the Sun next month. I love the Sun and board it again at the end of this month and will play hide and seek with my 8+ bottles of wine. My flask will stay at home because I am not a smuggler as you falsely accuse. I expect them to find all of the wine and will gladly pay the corkage. And I will have a little fun too. If they are going to rummage through my things, I might as well make it interesting.

Edited by newbe dave

Security is there for the exact reason that TSA is, to prevent contraband from boarding the ships. The wine table is for that exact purpose, paying corkage, which by the way, has nothing to do with opening the cork on a bottle. I'll help you:

Why do restaurants charge Corkage fees?

The corkage fee covers service (but not tips/service charge), wine glass breakage/rental and some of the lost revenue from not selling a wine off the restaurant's list. Keep in mind that restaurants are in the business to make money and wine is perhaps their biggest profit center; in most circumstances, a $20 corkage fee is not at all unreasonable.

Two cruises back my pocket knife was taken and held to the end of the cruise.

Finding wine is somewhat of a side to what they are there for. They are not cruise line employee's and it would simplify the boarding process a great deal if it could be eliminated. Security when you reboard the ship in a port is NCL security.

There can only be one reason for anyone to smuggle alcohol on board, and many admit it. They do not want to pay. All the others are just trying to justify the fact that they are cheating NCL out of revenue they are entitled to by contract. You can try to put any name or spin on it you want, you are still stealing. I know some take offense with the term stealing, I don't know what other name there is for it. The unjust taking of something (money) that belongs to/or is someone else is entitled to. Similar to going to Wendy's for a burger, taking it and an empty cup to McDonalds and filling your cup from their machine and eating you lunch there. Doesn't work well. Tell them how many bottles you have, pay for it and drink it anywhere on the ship.

Security is there for the exact reason that Similar to going to Wendy's for a burger, taking it and an empty cup to McDonalds and filling your cup from their machine and eating you lunch there. Doesn't work well.

What a ridiculous analogy...it's not in any way 'similar'

Not for nothing but I will be taking on supplies and sustenance in my checked luggage - as ive always done....and I shall spend my time happily between the bars (over)paying for beers and wine - and in my cabin happily quaffing my personal supply on my balcony....if this, for some puzzling reason, concerns you or anyone else..then I'd suggest you poke your nose somewhere else as it really is none of your business.

Happy cruising..and Bottoms up

Not for nothing but I will be taking on supplies and sustenance in my checked luggage - as ive always done....and I shall spend my time happily between the bars (over)paying for beers and wine - and in my cabin happily quaffing my personal supply on my balcony....if this, for some puzzling reason, concerns you or anyone else..then I'd suggest you poke your nose somewhere else as it really is none of your business.

Your comments are a strange analogy as well, you think that you can come in here, a PUBLIC forum, tell others what you intend to do, even though you know it's against the rules of the contract you signed with NCL, and yet, in the

same breath basically tell others to "mind their own business"?

Seems like a strange expectation to me. Hilarious.

:confused:

You assumed wrong. They have found all of my bottles so far so I have no idea what I would do if they missed one. Knowing me, I would smugly stand there telling them they missed one and having them search again. I have ALWAYS paid all of my corkage. I am a lot of things but I am not a smuggler as you falsely accuse. I just don't make it easy on them. Their process is flawed, in my opinion, and can be improved.

If the time required to play hide and seek starts taking too long, they will review their process. Just let me declare the number of bottles on a form and do a quick verify. Maybe a sticker on the bag to speed up the process. If I am claiming 8 bottles, do you really think I am actually carrying 9 bottles? Instead, they act like Code Red TSA agents looking for contraband. No talking. No smiling. This is real serious business.

You know what they say about what happens when you assume. Well, you were successful for yourself.

Have a good day and enjoy the Sun next month. I love the Sun and board it again at the end of this month and will play hide and seek with my 8+ bottles of wine. My flask will stay at home because I am not a smuggler as you falsely accuse. I expect them to find all of the wine and will gladly pay the corkage. And I will have a little fun too. If they are going to rummage through my things, I might as well make it interesting.

The "fact" (according to you) that you make NCL "find" your wine instead of telling them up front what you have makes the rest of your story unbelievable to me. Carry on.

An amazing first post!!! Please come back in the future when you have something to add!:eek: If you do come back, please explain how your smuggling prohibited items on board is no ones business. It is of course NCL's business.

WOW....really first time with NCL and didn't realize about corkage fees. Haven't experienced it before. HMMMM .... will see what happens I guess. Lots of "ah-ha" moments and haven't even sailed yet. I know it will be a great cruise/experience as we will make it that way. Read people bring soda/water on. Do they let you just carry it on? Other lines do without any issues.

WOW....really first time with NCL and didn't realize about corkage fees. Haven't experienced it before. HMMMM .... will see what happens I guess. Lots of "ah-ha" moments and haven't even sailed yet. I know it will be a great cruise/experience as we will make it that way. Read people bring soda/water on. Do they let you just carry it on? Other lines do without any issues.

Actually it depends on the line. Carnival allows limited quantities of soda and water on board. MSC forbids it completely. As far as I know, NCL has no limit on soda and water.

Edited by Out to sea!

...There can only be one reason for anyone to smuggle alcohol on board, and many admit it. They do not want to pay. All the others are just trying to justify the fact that they are cheating NCL out of revenue they are entitled to by contract. You can try to put any name or spin on it you want, you are still stealing. ...

I always find this comparison to stealing interesting. If one agrees with that, let me take it one step further.

PASSENGER A: Sneaks some booze onboard, and still spends a few hundred buck$$ at the bars.

PASSENGER B: Does not drink, and therefore NCL makes ZERO money from them at the Bars.

Which passenger is depriving the cruise line of the most money? And stealing?

I always find this comparison to stealing interesting. If one agrees with that, let me take it one step further.

PASSENGER A: Sneaks some booze onboard, and still spends a few hundred buck$$ at the bars.

PASSENGER B: Does not drink, and therefore NCL makes ZERO money from them at the Bars.

Passenger B is under no obligation to purchase anything onboard and is not violating any rules, Passenger A is violating the rules, so my answer is Passenger A.

I agree with you totally and I am amazed at the glee with which some here are quick to label some as thieves.

I wonder if any of them have ever put discount candy into their purses before taking their 4 kids to the movie rather than buy it at the concession, pay the exhorbitant mark up, and add $15 or $20 to the $ already spent to get in. It is against the theatre rules, but I'd bet the families do not consider it theft. Nor would I call my neighbor one, if she told me she did that.

Passenger B is under no obligation to purchase anything onboard and is not violating any rules, Passenger A is violating the rules, so my answer is Passenger A.

Passenger A may be violating rules, but in my book it is pretty extreme to call him a thief. A thief is someone who steals another person's property. If someone goes behind the bar and takes a bottle of rum back to their cabin, they are a thief. If they bring a bottle in their suitcase to enjoy a nightcap on the balcony every night, now that's a grey area to me.

People always point out that it is a revenue loss to NCL. It could be, but revenue loss is not theft. And it is only a revenue loss if the person who brings on the bottle would have bought an equivalent number of those nightcaps from NCL without their own bottle.

Being one who does not bother with liquor in the suitcase, one of us often thinks wistfully about a nightcap on the balcony, or while the other gets ready, or takes a nap or whatever, but do we ever pick up the phone and call room service or schlep out to a bar to get the drink? Nope. Just too much trouble. So I don't even buy the revenue loss scenario.

I am sure that someone who brings a bottle in their suitcase values a good drink much more than I do, and probably spends way more money on booze in the bars than I do.

Passenger A may be violating rules, but in my book it is pretty extreme to call him a thief. A thief is someone who steals another person's property. If someone goes behind the bar and takes a bottle of rum back to their cabin, they are a thief. If they bring a bottle in their suitcase to enjoy a nightcap on the balcony every night, now that's a grey area to me.

People always point out that it is a revenue loss to NCL. It could be, but revenue loss is not theft. And it is only a revenue loss if the person who brings on the bottle would have bought an equivalent number of those nightcaps from NCL without their own bottle.

Being one who does not bother with liquor in the suitcase, one of us often thinks wistfully about a nightcap on the balcony, or while the other gets ready, or takes a nap or whatever, but do we ever pick up the phone and call room service or schlep out to a bar to get the drink? Nope. Just too much trouble. So I don't even buy the revenue loss scenario.

I am sure that someone who brings a bottle in their suitcase values a good drink much more than I do, and probably spends way more money on booze in the bars than I do.

To me if someone is depriving another of something of value that is rightfully theirs than that is a theft, albeit a petty one. I personally don't care if someone smuggles or not, it's the cruise line's rule to enforce it.

To me if someone is depriving another of something of value that is rightfully theirs than that is a theft, albeit a petty one. ...

If a passenger brings booze and drinks in the cabin vs buying that drink at the bar, the cruise line is being deprived of that revenue. Makes sense.

But, what if the passenger decides to just get a glass of water instead. Cruise line is still being deprived of the revenue, right?

In both cases, the cruise line is being deprived of revenue.

If a passenger brings booze and drinks in the cabin vs buying that drink at the bar, the cruise line is being deprived of that revenue. Makes sense.

But, what if the passenger decides to just get a glass of water instead. Cruise line is still being deprived of the revenue, right?

In both cases, the cruise line is being deprived of revenue.

And as in your previous example one passenger is breaking the rules (in other words doing something wrong) and the other passenger is complying with the rules (and not doing anything wrong).

And as in your previous example one passenger is breaking the rules (in other words doing something wrong) and the other passenger is complying with the rules (and not doing anything wrong).

That's where your logic falls apart, your phrases in parentheses.

Why in every case is breaking the rules necessarily "doing something wrong"?

It's a stupid rule in my opinion.

There's no basis for it other than a money-grab.

It's not enough to stop me from cruising, so I'm going to ignore it.

I'll start paying NCL for corkage when I start paying a hotel for corkage if I bring a bottle of wine to my room.

If other sheeple feel good paying the corkage because they're proudly following a rule, they're welcome to do it.

That's where your logic falls apart, your phrases in parentheses.

Why in every case is breaking the rules necessarily "doing something wrong"?

It's a stupid rule in my opinion.

There's no basis for it other than a money-grab.

It's not enough to stop me from cruising, so I'm going to ignore it.

I'll start paying NCL for corkage when I start paying a hotel for corkage if I bring a bottle of wine to my room.

If other sheeple feel good paying the corkage because they're proudly following a rule, they're welcome to do it.

There is no breakdown in my logic. Breaking a rule is breaking a rule regardless of how you feel about it and yes, breaking even dumb rules is still doing something wrong. Is the world going to end if the rule gets broken? Nope. Is someone who breaks the rule a bad person? Nope. But none of that makes the act right.

There is no breakdown in my logic. Breaking a rule is breaking a rule regardless of how you feel about it and yes, breaking even dumb rules is still doing something wrong.

You've done it again.

You've equated "breaking rule" (fact) with "wrong" (opinion)

History is littered with situations where breaking the rule was, in hindsight, actually opined to be the "right" thing to do. Regardless, whether something is "right" or "wrong" is merely an opinion.

If you happen to believe that every rule is "right", simply because it's been called a Rule, well, that's your prerogative. I happen to choose not to let rules I consider to be dumb apply to me.

Edited by Shawnino

You've done it again.

You've equated "breaking rule" (fact) with "wrong" (opinion)

History is littered with situations where breaking the rule was, in hindsight, actually opined to be the "right" thing to do. Regardless, whether something is "right" or "wrong" is merely an opinion.

If you happen to believe that every rule is "right", simply because it's been called a Rule, well, that's your prerogative. I happen to choose not to let rules I consider to be dumb apply to me.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. Happy cruising to you!

We'll have to agree to disagree then. Happy cruising to you!

And happy cruising to you.

Not trying to wind you up, and I've spouted enough of my own opinions. But I'd like to ask you a couple questions and get your thoughts because you've thought about this quite a bit:

--Are there situations where you would break what you consider to be a dumb rule? Or would you choose to remove yourself from the situation (assuming you could)?

--You are NCL CEO. What alcohol policy would you put in, as far as carry-on?

--Why do you think people are allowed to carry on soda (always), wine (for a fee), and never spirits?

Cheers.