Ta+

patty1955

We’re taking our first TA next year and are very excited. The cruise is on Silhouette from Rome to Ft Lauderdale and we plan to spend three days in Venice before the cruise. So, we’re looking at a flight to Venice, three nights there, a train ride to Rome and one night in Rome before boarding the ship. Lately, I’ve been seeing some tempting vacations offered that include all of the above except the cruise. Even with the return flight, some of the prices look better than what I can piece together. Has anyone tried to book a trip like this and mash it together with a cruise? For instance, if I find a three day Venice/three day Rome trip with airfare, what would happen if we book that trip then get on the ship instead of the return flight? I know that when you book round trip airfare, they don’t like it if you take only one leg of the trip (if you cancel the first leg, they will cancel the second too), but I don’t think they would take punitive action.

Does anyone have any experience with trying this?

Not necessarily in conjunction with a cruise, but we have been a "no show" for the return portion of flights. Doesn't work with the outbound, only the return. And just as an aside, I just got an e-blast from Alitalia. R/T NYC - Rome.....6-something. The one-way fare is more then that. But check with "X" for Choice Air, or whatever they call it. Usually, "their" air is the best deal.

Edited by marco

We've done 12 TAs and generally spend 7-14 days before or after in Europe.

I would be confident that you would be able to do it on your own more economically than a tour if you utilize Choice Air for one way and pick your hotels carefully. We have considered the same as you (a tour) but only briefly because of the cost comparison as well as the fact that we are just not "tour people" in that we feel much more comfortable selecting and booking on our own.

We've done 12 TAs and generally spend 7-14 days before or after in Europe.

I would be confident that you would be able to do it on your own more economically than a tour if you utilize Choice Air for one way and pick your hotels carefully. We have considered the same as you (a tour) but only briefly because of the cost comparison as well as the fact that we are just not "tour people" in that we feel much more comfortable selecting and booking on our own.

Agree...you will likely find some very attractive one way prices on choice air and they don't care if you fly in two weeks or so early. The good of a tour is that you see the main sites; the bad of a tour is that you only see the highlights...a drive by...of the main sites....and you go at the pace of the slowest person and wait for everyone to ask their questions, etc.

Rome and Venice are easy to do yourself.....especially Venice where everything you really want to see is around a single square or an easy boat ride (Murano) away. You have plenty of time. Spend a little time on the computer and read about do it yourself tours of both cities. Using hop on hop off busses in Rome makes it much easier....obviously not needed in Venice.

For instance, if I find a three day Venice/three day Rome trip with airfare, what would happen if we book that trip then get on the ship instead of the return flight? I know that when you book round trip airfare, they don’t like it if you take only one leg of the trip (if you cancel the first leg, they will cancel the second too), but I don’t think they would take punitive action.

Does anyone have any experience with trying this?

You may get away with it once but you are playing with fire. I have heard of people being charged retroactively for the full price of the one-way flight.

Edited by Rob the Cruiser

You may get away with it once but you are playing with fire. I have heard of people being charged retroactively for the full price of the one-way flight.

Wow, that's a scary thought.

I'm actually a good bargain travel shopper, that's why I don't use a travel agent. They'd never be able to put together a trip for the price I can.

But, I'm really not looking forward to planning this one. I think I'm still burned out from the transpacific a few years ago. Flight to Shanghai, hotel, transport to cruise port, cruise, train to Anchorage, hotel, transport to airport and flight home. It was a bit too much. I've made a few mistakes in bookings (nothing that couldn't be fixed) but it makes me nervous.

I can't answer the mash up question. But I think your plan is easier than the trip you planned in Asia and got some burn out from.

Air these days is often easier to buy two one ways and it does not always carry a higher price to do so. For Ta's choice air is usually pretty darn good.

I did basically the same thing 3 years ago--did TA from Ft Lauderdale to Rome, 3 days in Rome, train to Venice, 2-3 days in Venice then flew back one-way to Ft Lauderdale.

I'm pretty sure we flew back to Ft Lauderdale on a Saturday but it was only about $400 one-way. You are doing it the opposite so I don't know if that is a major price difference.

I doubt that you could get anything that cheap anymore-prices seem to be a lot higher than back then.

I was trying to get my daughter to Budapest this past summer using two- "one-ways" because she wanted to fly in such a way that the "open jaw" would not work.

They wanted $3500 one way whereas a round trip "regular" trip was around $1200! No way to that!

I would think that it is cheaper to do it yourself plus you get to pick all the hotels yourself

I'm actually a good bargain travel shopper, that's why I don't use a travel agent. They'd never be able to put together a trip for the price I can.

But, I'm really not looking forward to planning this one. I think I'm still burned out from the transpacific a few years ago. Flight to Shanghai, hotel, transport to cruise port, cruise, train to Anchorage, hotel, transport to airport and flight home. It was a bit too much. I've made a few mistakes in bookings (nothing that couldn't be fixed) but it makes me nervous.

I make all arrangements also. That's part of he fun of anticipating the next adventure!

Our trip next spring is open jaw to FLL, TA to Rome and B2B Med aboard the Constellation. Return flight is Rome-Atlanta-Colorado. Flights cost $1,860 per person combination Business and Premium Economy for the open jaw. Three weeks ago the price for the exact same itinerary, all economy, was $2565.00 per person.

Ya just gotta dig. :D:D

Does it leave the date and time to fly to embarkment city for Celebrity to decide? Can you use Choice Air and still go to that city the day before? Is it cheaper than Southwest?

You do not have to go to the embarkation city and you can go in advance. For example, next month we are flying Choice Air MIA-Brussels a week before we embark in Southampton.

Just an aside, though, the best fares are one-ways to Europe. On RT in the US we've not found Choice Air to be an advantage.

Hi Patty, I believe we are on the same cruise next year, and this will be our first TA as well. We are also bringing my DH mother who will be 81, and she wants to see as much as she can while in Rome. My dilemma is trying to think of things that we can all do and see, but not over tire her out. I have no idea of where to even start.

I am not one for large tour groups for reasons previous posted above, but I do like smaller more private tours. I think I will wait until Jan after our next cruise and the holidays to make any real locked in plans. DH and I have been to Italy before and did a 9 day trip with friends back when we were in the military, but his mom has never been and has not seen anything so Italy will be more for her than for us.

We have never done Choice Air but we may give it a try on this trip, or we may use FF points and go 1st class for her to rest more comfortably. I do know that it is cheaper to book as Hulamoon suggest, booking multiple city's and not one way. So for us it would be from Orlando to Rome, then Ft Laud to Orlando.

Sounds Like you have one up on me since you planned your complete TP trip all by yourself. Good luck, and I'll be looking in to see what advice/suggestions other experienced TA travelers post.

The best way to do it is to book 2 TA's Fall and Spring and use half of the air ticket for each!

I loved that idea until I realized that one of the TAs would have to be east bound. I don't want to do another east bound transoceanic cruise. Those 23 hour days are killers!

Hi PATTY1995,

I have no experience with your situation...

Although Mr Sloop & I have begun a bit of research on a similar trip for 2016 or 2017 (although not a TA) that will take us on a cruise starting in Venice thru the Adriatic visiting port cities in Eastern Europe, into the Mediterranean... Onto Greece, Malta and around the boot of Italy to Rome. Followed by a car tour thru Northern Italy's Wine Country back to Venice and a flight home.

So your post caught my eye... And my interest.

As I say I have no experience

BUT I do know the absolute best place to ask this Air Travel Question...

On TripAdvisor, CCs sister website there is a Travel Forum dedicated to Air Taravel that is frequented by both individuals that fly frequently as well as professionals that work in the Flight Industry (a few of them are accredited as TripAdvisor Destination Experts due to their expertise in this particular aspect of travel)

Here is the link to TripAdvisor's Travel Forum Directory... The Forum for Air Travel is in the Beyond Destinations Section

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ForumHome

If anyone can answer your Questions in regards to the flying aspects (maybe even some tips on the ground portion too) it is these guys and gals who travel the world on a daily basis

Cheers!

Ps... Do want to hear what you learn, and eventually how things work out for you, so hope you will be so kind as to post an Update.

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

We have taken one way flights to Europe through Choice Air and have gone days earlier. And for much cheaper than we could do on our own. We found our desired flights and Choice Air gave us a quote of $440 one way whereas we could only get about $795 for the exact same thing. So it's worth trying. We'll be using it in just about 3 weeks!

The best way to do it is to book 2 TA's Fall and Spring and use half of the air ticket for each!

We did this a couple of years ago. The only thing which was tricky was travel insurance. One of the major reasons we buy travel insurance is if we have to return home in an emergency.

The catch we ran into is our flights were 181 days apart. The cruise insurance we used said the trip had to be completed within 180 days. Our T/A was able to get the travel insurance provider to give us an extension in writing.

Just a detail you have to consider.

I just booked the TA for Nov Southampton to Miami. Used choice air and got Raleigh to Heathrow one way for $413 which is a great price and the only NonStop available from our home airport. Booked JetBlue back from FLL because that was cheaper and better flight time than doing Choice Air open jaw.

You guys are giving me some good ideas. I haven't used Choice Air. I used it last time as a search engine, then booked through the airline (same price). I'll keep looking but it's still a long way out.

Hi Patty, try ITA Matrix to find flight prices, you can't buy tickets thru them, but I've found it's the best way to figure out one way or open jaw itineraries.

Las May, I flew out of LAX to LHR, took the train to Paddington Station, stored my luggage, wandered London for the day, picked up my bags, train to Gatwick, spent the night, then flew to Bordeaux for 5 days, (lots of buses & trams & trains involved with that portion) then back to London for a week... could not have planned it without ITA Matrix. :)

Edited by cruise kitty

You guys are giving me some good ideas. I haven't used Choice Air. I used it last time as a search engine, then booked through the airline (same price). I'll keep looking but it's still a long way out.

There are definitely Pros & Cons to using Choice Air (many topics including I believe a STICKY )

We used them in the past... Without issue. Yes you can create a ticket with them however you like (although you may have to do so by phone) including One Ways, Early Arrivals & Late Departues (days or even weeks ahead of your cruise)

Like yourself we also use them for comparison research... Be it finding a flight we want with a specific airline at a specific date & time, then getting Choice Air to quote.

Sometimes they are cheaper, sometimes spot on, and sometimes more (I don't mind a bit more if schedules are tight and I am wanting to get somewhere knowing that they GUARANTEE getting me to the ship)

On the otherhand, they have taken a beating here on CC lately with refunding airfare for Celebrity Cruises that were cancelled / repositioned.

However... In the end those that booked with Choice Air did get their money refunded (vs whatever happened to those that did not)

So...if it is critical to get there in a timely manner (other side of the globe, or not easy to reach Destination) I still think that Choice Air is probably worth it

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I think you should look at Choice Air. They really shine when it comes to the one way flights you need for a TA. They aren't overly competitive on domestic U.S. fares. We've used Choice Air a few times and the only cons I can see so far is that they give such good rates, they're often bulk rates which means:

1. The seats may not be upgradable for those with miles or miles/$$. Check before you buy, for a little more (still saving off retail), you may be able to get an upgradable seat. We have.

2. The money spent on Choice Air may not count towards your PQDs (on United for example, there are sped requirements to reach levels of status, PQDs = Premier Qualifying Dollars). In our case, though we spent $1300 on a flight to Asia between flight and upgrades none of it will not count towards my partner's PQDs so she will be short $$ to make status which means she won't get upgrades, free bags, free economy plus unless she is with me.

Otherwise, once you book, you can have both the airline AND choice air to deal with issues. It is no different really than booking with the airline, online travel sites, etc.

One HUGE advantages is that if something happens and the cruise is cancelled (think Century in April), you should really be getting ALL of your airfare back.

However, it is not like when you book a cruise with a TA, and then you have to deal with the TA for changes. If give them my frequent flyer number, and they flights show up right away in my accounts with the airlines.

I travel often and have had flights cancelled or changed. Response has been similar by Choice Air and the Airlines, either will help. However the special services department at Choice Air actually provided refunds when we ended up on cheaper flights, and then changed the flights again when we realized they were bad flights for our needs, no change fees, only fare difference.

I think they issues we've heard from people using Choice Air are more one offs, like not getting face clothes, or not knowing to call the airline, or ask for someone else, or knowing the number to call. They've just been so good, I can't see it really being as bad as I've read.

We'd also be willing to do the go it alone vs the tour thing, but we split the workload. I do the big travel, and get us there, my partner figures out what we're doing once we're there. I think there are some times when you can do fine with pricing on a tour, we'd just prefer not to be stuck on someone else's scheduled and waiting for the slowest person.

As far as booking a round trip if you can do better than Choice Air one way (which I doubt, if you're patient, they'll have flights that will work eventually), I wouldn't be worried about doing it often. People are no shows more than you think, and unless you do it repeatedly, there is no reason for them to come after you. You can always book the return flight to be after you return from the cruise, if that works for the tour, and then cancel the credit card you used, and just get a new one, but maybe that is a bit sneaky ;)

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Ps sorry for such a long post with so much off topic info!

Edited by need2bespoiled
Apologies

I do the big travel, and get us there, my partner figures out what we're doing once we're there.

I do all the travel planning. So much so that when we got to the airport to go on our cruise to Bermuda, my husband thought we were flying to Ft Lauderdale. And yes we "discussed" the whole trip, several times.

I do all the travel planning. So much so that when we got to the airport to go on our cruise to Bermuda, my husband thought we were flying to Ft Lauderdale. And yes we "discussed" the whole trip, several times.

I hate to say it, but I laughed out loud :( I'm sorry. Maybe he should start giving you a commission :cool:

At least he has _no_ room to complain if he doesn't like it!

I hope you work it out, without too much stress! For us, half the fun (well, I don't know if it is really half) is the planning and anticipation leading up to the trip.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled