What beach on St Thomas?

ragethjj23

My wife and I are planning our first cruise (carnival Liberty out of San Juan) an are looking into what to do on st Thomas. We have plans at the other ports already (catamaran, speed boat tours, island tours) and were thinking that st. Thomas would be a good port to relax on a beach and do some shopping, as we haven't found any good excursions or island tours. Any suggestions of what beach to go to? Ive read a lot about a number of them, just need some pointers towards which to choose.

In September, you may be the only ship in port. You should be able to pick based on your preferred activities and amenities, you definitely don't need to worry about crowds.

I looked and as of now, our ship is the only one in port. Im asking as it is our first time on st Thomas and want to make the most of it. Im a photography buff so im looking to get the best scenery possible.

I looked and as of now, our ship is the only one in port. Im asking as it is our first time on st Thomas and want to make the most of it. Im a photography buff so im looking to get the best scenery possible.

If this is your first visit, I would suggest a tour in an open safari style taxi. Godfrey comes highly recommended but there is Sunny and others too. You will have spectacular views and some amazing pictures.

They will leave you at a beach, Megans, Coki or Sapphire at the end of the tour and then pick you up after.

We like Sapphire but I'm sure the other beaches are good too.

I agree with monicajay. The taxis at the dock all offer mostly similar tours for about $30 pp. They stop at several scenic lookouts so you'll get gorgeous photos. Coki Beach may be the most interesting to photograph because of the rocks (you'll see) and the colorful local scene (though not all locals like to be photographed so ask and offer a few dollars if you really want to include them).

ThE best Beach To Photograph Is Sapphire. Walk Around Both Sides To Get Great Angles Of St John, JOst, And The Smaller Islands. Walk Out On The Wedding Point To Get Some Great Pictures Of The Beach. There Is Also A Marina There Where You Can Take Some Interesting Shots. Plus Iguanas In The Trees

ThE best Beach To Photograph Is Sapphire. Walk Around Both Sides To Get Great Angles Of St John, JOst, And The Smaller Islands. Walk Out On The Wedding Point To Get Some Great Pictures Of The Beach. There Is Also A Marina There Where You Can Take Some Interesting Shots. Plus Iguanas In The Trees

Thanks for the suggestions! Much Appreciated!

Henry EEE tours and Magen's Bay. Sapphire beach is lovely but it's hard to get into the water (if you are a snorkler go there) and there are lots of rock mounds and the water is pretty rough. There is no relaxing in the water it's wishy washy. Magen's bay is calm and clear and better for relaxing day on the beach.

Another vote for Sapphire for photography. I have also taken some BEAUTIFUL shots at Smith Bay next to Sapphire, although I am not sure what they currently have for amenities as I haven't been in a year although heard they were adding some???

I am not a huge Magen's fan even when it's not crowded, however as others mentioned the island tour idea I must admit you could get some incredible shots from the tour stops and at the beach at Magen's. The tour will stop at some incredible overlooks that you most likely won't get on a taxi just to Sapphire (unless of course you find a tour that does a stop at Sapphire although most seem to do Magens or coki). Thinking from a photography and relaxing standpoint you can't go wrong doing either. I want to lean towards a tour and Magens so you could see more of the island and get a variety of shots, but gosh there is just something about Sapphire that stays in your heart forever and I have a few Sapphire photos in my home but no Magens photos! :) Tough question, lol, but you will be very happy with either choice.

Definitely Sapphire Beach for the gorgeous water colors and island views, along with the soft sand and abundant natural shade along the shoreline. Gorgeous beach with character.

I would just hop a taxi there and skip the tour, enjoy the mahi mahi sandwich or burger Banana Cabana or something from the restaurant and some drinks. You can plop on your towel under a tree for free or rent a lounger. We rent a condo there and can't recommend Sapphire enough for a day visit. Just another day in paradise! ;)

If you want to enjoy views of the harbor before returning to the ship Paradise Point is a great last stop for photos and drinks.