Adonia Soot and Singing!!

indiana123

Two small questions.

We are in an aft cabin on Adonia. I have heard there could be a 'soot' problem. Can someone who has been there let me know how bad this is.

Also... I have a dodgy singing voice. I sang when younger but at 15 it disappeared. I am female and my voice is low. I have always loved the ship's choirs. I would love to join in. Do you have to sing on your own before they let you join or can anyone join and just sing quietly in the background.:)

Thank you.

Anyone can join, I have sung in three choirs now mostly on Fred Olsen. Also, you will find as you sing a bit you get better. I hadn't sung since I was in my school choir!! Don't know about the soot, but most ships can chuck out soot sometimes. It hit the back terrace on Azura and also Oriana.

We have just returned from Adonia and there was certainly a passenger choir which performed on the last evening - and very good they were too! As far as soot is concerned we didn't have an aft cabin on Adonia but have on most of the other ships and have never had a problem with soot - have been in 3 aft cabins on Azura and no problem there. Certainly I didn't hear soot mentioned while we were on Adonia.

Back from Adonia last month. Yes - there was a choir. As for soot - I never saw any on the aft deck but the only pax area there was the terrace behind the Conservatory. She does give out a lot of black smoke when preparing to leave the berth but that was all. Have a great time - she's a lovely ship with a great close-knit crew.

The only cruise ship that I have been on that produced soot was Balmoral but then she is a slightly older ship and it was several years ago. Emissions controls are far stricter now and it is most unlikely that any ship will emit soot these days, though many ships will have the occasional cough and produce a very small amount of darker smoke under certain conditions but it will be only for a very short period of time and certainly won't be a problem.

Do you have to do a mini audition, ie sing a bit on your own. I couldn't do that! :)

No mini audition al'a X Factor or Britain's Got Talent, or even the Aussie version. On Arcadia for instance the choir was called 'Arcadia Singers.' Just turn up when the choir practise is announced in Ship's newspaper, but don't leave it too late in the cruise, get stuck in and started on day 1. You might be asked by the Entertainment staff person handling the choir whether or not you are Tenor, Alto, Soprano, Bass etc. But just join in, you may have 20 to 80 singers of varying ability, great fun. You will also bump into fellow choir members around the ship, all adds to the social aspect of your cruise, make new friends, no worries.

Songs are both olde and modern. Normally the dress for performances is white/black or perhaps black and white for gentlemen and ladies.

As Uncle Les says to all the cruisers, 'Above all, enjoy !!

Edited by NSWP

Not all the cruises have a choir - sometimes it depends on the duration of the cruise & how many sea days there are. Out of 6 P & O cruises so far we have only had 2 choirs onboard. I think it also depends on whether they have an Ents Officer who is talented enough to run the choir as two of our cruises were 17 night Med ones (Adonia & Azura) and they had no one who could run the choir. Bit disappointing as I love the ship's choirs - after the first choir it gave me the courage to join our community choir at home & the second choir (35 night transatlantic) had 90 members & we put an hour long show on in the theatre (Oriana) - 14 songs to a packed house, it was brilliant.

Hope your cruise has a choir & don't worry about your voice - once blended with everyone else you will all sound amazing!

I have experienced soot on Balmoral, Black Watch, Oriana and Azura. Sudden belching of black smoke and suddenly it's all over the place. Doesn't seem to matter what ship it is.

Try this link for Azura http://www.cruise.co.uk/cruise-reviews/pando-cruises/azura/read-review-79490/

Edited by jeanlyon

We have recently returned from 17 days on Azura. The Ents Officer who usually runs the choir was not on board so the in-house duo took over. We had great fun and I think they made a very good job of getting a decent sound out of us in a, comparatively, short time.

Someone did upload one of the performances onto Youtube, but I can't find it :(