If you got a do over would you choose to visit Alaska another way?

Karysa

Thanks. What was so different on this ship than the big cruiseship? I'm interested in hearing if this ship had more naturalists on board, less live entertainment ect and if it got to places that the bigger ship couldn't reach? Oh and is it still operating? Thanks:)

There are 3 small ship cruises in last years Trip Review List.

Reply #45 is sorted by cruiseline/ship and the last 2 are small ship. Then look at #56 by Shazzah.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1879117&page=3

I had an unsuccessful first cruise to Alaska. It provided me with the knowledge of what I wanted on a 2nd cruise and had several successful trips after that.

I booked a different cruise line, booked a different glacier (one that you are almost guaranteed to see), booked during a different month (thankfully less rain, but not guaranteed), booked with more time in the ports I liked and had a great time on the next cruise.

Whenever you have the time I would love to hear about your trip to Katmai did you go to the Brooks River? Did you camp or stay in the Lodge? I am really wanting to go here to see the bears

I stayed at Bear Mountain Lodge, read up reports on Trip Advisor. :)

I had always dreamed of a camping trip to Alaska, but even after I moved out to CA it was still a long trip up to Alaska and it never seemed to happen. My first cruise was an Alaska cruise/tour and I had a great time. Two years later I cruised again on the small older Island Princess and had a fantastic experience and have now spent the last 20 years trying to repeat the magic (some trips have been pretty close)

30 -40 years ago I would have preferred a camping trip ( I think) but now I sure prefer the comfort and amenities the cruise ship offers while still getting to visit the ever changing scenery.

30 -40 years ago I would have preferred a camping trip ( I think) but now I sure prefer the comfort and amenities the cruise ship offers while still getting to visit the ever changing scenery.

I've taken a few tenting trips in Alaska and have to admit that I now prefer the amenities of an RV. On a rainy dark night it's nice to sit in the camper and play cards, watch a movie, pop some popcorn, rather than worry about getting wet or blown away in a rainstorm. It's also nice to have your kitchen, bedroom and bathroom with you at all times! And talk about ever-changing scenery.....

Have you visited via Cruiseship yet? Thanks

Oh, yes, on Oceania Regatta (less than 700 pax) in May-June 2013. Loved it, but there's so much to Alaska and so many ways to see it, I'd like to try a variety of cruising and inland tours.

Thanks. What was so different on this ship than the big cruiseship? I'm interested in hearing if this ship had more naturalists on board, less live entertainment ect and if it got to places that the bigger ship couldn't reach? Oh and is it still operating? Thanks:)

https://www.adventuresmithexplorations.com/alaskan-dream

I guess I was wrong - it is 40 passengers. Not 50 passengers.

No entertainment. Got to lots of places that the bigger ships do not stop at because of port size and the impact of 1000 passengers on the town. Family dining with limited menu choices but the food was excellent. All excursions were included. You got to know everyone on board. You were welcome to spend as much time on the bridge as you wished. The captain was accessible.

What was so different on this ship than the big cruiseships - absolutely everything. It was wonderful.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

https://www.adventuresmithexplorations.com/alaskan-dream

I guess I was wrong - it is 40 passengers. Not 50 passengers.

No entertainment. Got to lots of places that the bigger ships do not stop at because of port size and the impact of 1000 passengers on the town. Family dining with limited menu choices but the food was excellent. All excursions were included. You got to know everyone on board. You were welcome to spend as much time on the bridge as you wished. The captain was accessible.

What was so different on this ship than the big cruiseships - absolutely everything. It was wonderful.

DON

That sounds like the way I would have liked to cruise Alaska. Hank you so much for the information. I really did enjoy the places that I saw, I did and I'm glad that I saw a little of Alaska and the Yukon but I think I would have enjoyed it better on a ship like you described or via RV or car with nights spent in lodges.

I looked into the ferries and small ship tours but they were much more expensive and because of the slower speed they weren't as extensive. Obviously they are more intensive.

The ferry schedules mean you have to have a lot of time to travel around and you have to pay for food as well.

I guess a cruise is a compromise but a great first time or one time alternative. We are doing DIY land tour on mainland Alaska before the cruise.

Having lived in Alaska for years, I'd say that there's no one way - or two, or three - to "best" see the state, any more than there's one "best" season. Alaska is so big and so diverse that you can spend a lifetime exploring and experiencing, and still not see it all.

Cruise ships offer comfortable accommodation and transport to coastal areas, including some that are very difficult to visit except from the water. But cruise ships call at ports that can be overwhelmed with the numbers of day visitors, and they only travel between May and September. You can take the ferry year-round, and experience the serenity and magnificence of Southeast Alaska in the off-season - mist- and snow-covered forest with white peaks above, glassy waters with Orcas occasionally viewable... but no floor shows or midnight buffets.

Cars and RVs can allow you to see places that can be reached on the road system, but that's a tiny fraction of the whole state. And again, for many people driving in dark, winter conditions is a real turn-off, thus limiting the season to the same one as the cruises.

So my suggestion is that if you want to experience something really different, try switching modes or seasons. For example, fly to Anchorage for Fur Rendezvous at the end of February. It's a hoot of a midwinter festival, with snowshoe races, dogsled races downtown, contests and parties, followed by the start of the Iditarod. While you're there, take a flightseeing trip over the Chugach mountains or Prince William Sound, or for a never-to-be-forgotten experience, fly up to Denali. If you think it's spectacular in the summer, believe me you haven't seen anything like the mountain on a clear winter day from a light plane. Fills.the.sky.

Just saying, thinking out of the box with Alaska is never a bad idea.

Great advice! We have lived in Alaska, traveled the Alaska Highway north, and sailed the Alaska Marine Highway south. For three years the summers (3 months maybe) were filled with family visitors; we had the winters (9 months) to ourselves. The magnificence of Alaska exists year-round for those who chose to participate and enjoy the very unique environment and people. Mass market cruise ships can offer just a taste of the great land!

We've been on three Alaska cruises and are planning our fourth. We aren't into doing our own planning, driving, or camping. A cruise on a large ship (Grand or Golden Princess) or medium ship (Island or Coral Princess) fits our comfort level. I also feel a little safer traveling knowing there is a medical center to help us if we are injured or become ill. It's one of those things we think about more as we age.

Our first cruise was a round trip from Seattle. The second was a northbound, and the third was a southbound. Our fourth will be a land tour before the cruise to Vancouver. There's so much to see and it's so beautiful. I could go back again and again.

We've been on three Alaska cruises and are planning our fourth. We aren't into doing our own planning, driving, or camping. A cruise on a large ship (Grand or Golden Princess) or medium ship (Island or Coral Princess) fits our comfort level. I also feel a little safer traveling knowing there is a medical center to help us if we are injured or become ill. It's one of those things we think about more as we age.

Our first cruise was a round trip from Seattle. The second was a northbound, and the third was a southbound. Our fourth will be a land tour before the cruise to Vancouver. There's so much to see and it's so beautiful. I could go back again and again.

So unlike me I take it that you never felt that a fancy cruise ship and the nature of Alaska just didn't mix quite right. So many other posters visited Alaska via cruiseship the first time and then did land or ferry vacations the next times that they visited Alaska. This thread has been an interesting read. Thanks for sharing.:)

I looked into the ferries and small ship tours but they were much more expensive and because of the slower speed they weren't as extensive. Obviously they are more intensive.

The ferry schedules mean you have to have a lot of time to travel around and you have to pay for food as well.

I guess a cruise is a compromise but a great first time or one time alternative. We are doing DIY land tour on mainland Alaska before the cruise.

I heard that the ferries were inexpensive. Perhaps it's a trip to do with 2 couples to split the cost of the ferries and the car rental. Doing both land and cruise sounds like a good way to see Alaska as well.

I heard that the ferries were inexpensive. Perhaps it's a trip to do with 2 couples to split the cost of the ferries and the car rental. Doing both land and cruise sounds like a good way to see Alaska as well.

The ferries aren't inexpensive, when you add in a cabin and food. The fare from Bellingham to Juneau is about $400 .... then add the cost of a cabin (inside, outside, full facilities or not).

I've taken the ferry to Skagway and to Juneau but without a cabin; we just took sleeping bags and slept in the solarium (large covered area). We had a small cooler for sandwich stuff, plus we could use hot water from the dining room for oatmeal, instant soups, tea, etc. We either ate dinner in the dining room and thought the food was quite good. Showers were available. I really enjoyed the trips. I was going somewhere specific not hopping off and on to explore the SE.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/

I've posted this trip report before but you probably didn't see it. A family from Denmark who rented an RV for a week then used the ferry to explore the SE. Be sure to check out their photo blog;

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k5802742-Trip_Report_2012_15_days_independent_travel_in_SE_Alaska-Alaska.html#44039042

Edited by mapleleaves
trip report

The ferries aren't inexpensive, when you add in a cabin and food. The fare from Bellingham to Juneau is about $400 .... then add the cost of a cabin (inside, outside, full facilities or not).

I've taken the ferry to Skagway and to Juneau but without a cabin; we just took sleeping bags and slept in the solarium (large covered area). We had a small cooler for sandwich stuff, plus we could use hot water from the dining room for oatmeal, instant soups, tea, etc. We either ate dinner in the dining room and thought the food was quite good. Showers were available. I really enjoyed the trips. I was going somewhere specific not hopping off and on to explore the SE.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/

I've posted this trip report before but you probably didn't see it. A family from Denmark who rented an RV for a week then used the ferry to explore the SE. Be sure to check out their photo blog;

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k5802742-Trip_Report_2012_15_days_independent_travel_in_SE_Alaska-Alaska.html#44039042

Is that $400 each way per vehicle and does that cover the passengers as well?

Thanks for the links to the reviews I will be take a look at them.

We also recently sailed to Alaska on the Celebrity Solstice and really enjoyed the cruise.

For us, it only fueled the fire to return, albeit, on a smaller ship. We had never done an Alaskan cruise before, so being on a larger ship, round trip, was a great introduction.

We would love to do a one-way cruise next time, and perhaps do a cruise tour, on a smaller boat that can go to into Glacier Bay.

The great thing about Alaska is all of the amazing photo opportunities!

Will we return soon...no. Maybe in another 5 or 10 years. There are plenty of new ships we want to try and places to visit, like the Mediterranean, that another Alaskan cruise is not in the foreseeable future.

But, we will return again by boat!:D

Keep on cruising!

Don't cruiseships similar to the Soltice go to Glacier Bay? Why would you rather due a cruise tour than a DIY land vacation? Thanks:)

So unlike me I take it that you never felt that a fancy cruise ship and the nature of Alaska just didn't mix quite right. So many other posters visited Alaska via cruiseship the first time and then did land or ferry vacations the next times that they visited Alaska. This thread has been an interesting read. Thanks for sharing.:)

Nope, no interest at all to do a DIY in Alaska. I travel with a chronic medical condition and have vision difficulties. It's cruise ship with medical facility or stay at home. We have been the first ones off the ship to explore and among the last ones back on the ship before it sailed. There are so many things to do in Alaska we never run out of new experiences. Among our favorites were whale watching with Harv and Marv, the White Pass and Yukon Rail Road, playing with pups being trained for sled dogs on our way to Emerald Lake, watching locals perform in a play, walking trails at Mendenhall, and taking a cruise at Prince William Sound to see the wildlife and glaciers calving. Oh, and watching our little stone bear being hand carved. Wonderful stuff! We have had a great experiences on our 'fancy' ships.

Edited by Grannycb

Nope, no interest at all to do a DIY in Alaska. I travel with a chronic medical condition and have vision difficulties. It's cruise ship with medical facility or stay at home. We have been the first ones off the ship to explore and among the last ones back on the ship before it sailed. There are so many things to do in Alaska we never run out of new experiences. Among our favorites were whale watching with Harv and Marv, the White Pass and Yukon Rail Road, playing with pups being trained for sled dogs on our way to Emerald Lake, watching locals perform in a play, walking trails at Mendenhall, and taking a cruise at Prince William Sound to see the wildlife and glaciers calving. Oh, and watching our little stone bear being hand carved. Wonderful stuff! We have had a great experiences on our 'fancy' ships.

It's wonderful that you manage to get out and do all that you do. Medical facilities are a definite advantage that cruise ships have for sure. We must have had similar stops as I did pretty much everything on your list and really enjoyed them all.

the passenger fare is about $400 for Bellingham to Juneau. That's just the passenger; no car, no cabin, no food.

The various fees are in the DOT web site I posted previously.

So costs savings is not a reason to DIY it seems. Good to know. That trip does seem more like an adventure than a ferry though.:)

Been on two Alaska cruises. First one-did all the expensive excursions and had a great time other than the cruise was a little "too informal" for our tastes. DH liked to put on the tux-very few had on a tux. Captain even came over and made our acquaintance and commented on how it was so nice to see people actually abide by the dress code on formal night.

Second one-never got off the ship except to walk to the post office in Ketchikan.

Why? In between the two, we had spent a total of almost 4 weeks driving/flying to all kinds of places in Alaska. In addition, 9 semi trucks (I own a trucking company) drove the Alcan from Waterloo Iowa to Fairbanks way back in 1984 (we hauled salad dressing of all things), long before it was much of a road and you needed to carry more in truck parts than freight. So we had already seen a lot of Alaska long before we ever took that second cruise. I also ship fish from Alaska to the lower 48 all summer long and have to make at least two trips per year for fish shipping-beginning of the season and after Labor Day to end the season.

One of my x employees is a safety director in Prudhoe, so go there to see him frequently when I am in Alaska. I absolutely love Prudhoe-the remoteness, the ecological concerns, just the whole idea of where you are at. THAT is a Zen experience. Several times, he has made arrangements for me to drive one of the BP vans that are getting traded in to Fairbanks or Anchorage, so I have driven the haul road quite a few times. My dear departed husband and I drove the Dalton in a rental about 9 years ago. NOT a trip for those who can't put a car back together with baling wire and duct tape. But that trip, we managed to find a pilot who flew us to ANWR. I wanted to see what everyone was so up in the air about drilling in ANWR. There is NOTHING there except a few native Alaskans (who WANT the drilling). And with horizontal drilling, about the only thing you would ever see in that very pristine area is a few pump houses. So we actually saw what so many make such a big deal about but have never seen.

We bought a condo in Homer co-owned with another couple and until my husband passed away, he went to Alaska at least 2-3 times per summer just to go fishing. I still use the condo when I go there for fish shipping season.

There is just too much to see in Alaska that you will never see from the overcrowded ports on a large cruise ship. I have taken the ferry from Homer to Kodiak, Valdez and Dutch Harbor. Great little side trips but not particularly cheap and certainly not luxury. But a truly different experience.

Different strokes for different folks but a cruise ship to Alaska is not in my future.

Reading everyone's different experiences in traveling Alaska makes me want to do a DIY all the more. I loved our cruise but now I want to see all the places we didn't get to experience on the cruise. We have friends that have spent 3 and 4 months traveling Alaska in a pop up camper and they are planning on doing it again. I really hope that after I retire in a few years that a DIY Alaska trip will be one of the first things we do.

It's expensive to go Bellingham-Skagway via ferry as compared to the cost of a a cruise. but if you're exploring SE Ports, you'd fly into Juneau and take small trips, like Juneau to Sitka for $50, or Juneau to Gustavus $35 (to spend time at Glacier Bay).

Fare Schedule:

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/doc/fares/S14W14_SETariffs.pdf

The ferry is a popular option for RV travellers. A lot of seniors travel by RV to Alaska for the summer. They drive up thru Alberta, BC and Yukon, but on the way back they'll catch the ferry out of Skagway or Haines. The RV fare is very expensive but some of the big rigs only get 7-8 mpg so eliminating 1500 miles takes the sting out of that fare.

If you're considering DIY to Alaska, buy a MILEPOST by Kris Valencia. It's a must-have. You can pick up an older edition on amazon for under $10. The hwys and towns don't change; some vendors may have changed or gone out of business.

It's expensive to go Bellingham-Skagway via ferry as compared to the cost of a a cruise. but if you're exploring SE Ports, you'd fly into Juneau and take small trips, like Juneau to Sitka for $50, or Juneau to Gustavus $35 (to spend time at Glacier Bay).

Fare Schedule:

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/doc/fares/S14W14_SETariffs.pdf

The ferry is a popular option for RV travellers. A lot of seniors travel by RV to Alaska for the summer. They drive up thru Alberta, BC and Yukon, but on the way back they'll catch the ferry out of Skagway or Haines. The RV fare is very expensive but some of the big rigs only get 7-8 mpg so eliminating 1500 miles takes the sting out of that fare.

If you're considering DIY to Alaska, buy a MILEPOST by Kris Valencia. It's a must-have. You can pick up an older edition on amazon for under $10. The hwys and towns don't change; some vendors may have changed or gone out of business.

Upthread I mentioned that the ferry is a lot of fun in the off-season, e.g. for a great "long weekend" excursion to Juneau. It's not cheap, but it's very relaxing and lovely in the fall or winter.

Another option for people wanting to make road trips or take their RVs to Alaska is to ship the vehicle one way using TOTE between Tacoma and Anchorage. Northbound tends to be more expensive (sometimes 50%) than southbound, but it can save time, wear and tear, and maybe even costs overall. One way flights to/from Seattle are relatively cheap - you fly while the vehicle's on the water.