Problem with Dynamic Dining

bh9885

I don't believe for one minute that the decision to go to DD is anything other than a financial decision. And I get it.. RCCL is a business and the job of a business is to make as much money as they can.

Which of these makes sense?

Scenario 1 - The big wigs are in a meeting. "We need to find a way to make more money. People have stopped cruising because they don't like traditional dining. We are losing our long time cruisers to NCL because of FS dining. We are losing new cruisers to NCL because FS dining is so appealing. We've got to try it too"

Scenario 2 - The big wigs in a meeting. "We need to find a way to make more money. Specialty dining has lots of potential. If we find a way to discourage traditional dining and push more people into Specialty Dining, we are, in essence, double dipping. Cruisers pay for their meal in their cruise fare and then pay again in Specialty Dining"

I guess time will tell which it was.

I know one thing.. I don't want a hot dog or a slice of pizza on the run for dinner. I don't want to serve myself, I don't want to dress up every night and I can't afford to book a suite. I am a lowly platinum so that leaves two options for dinner. Same menu x 7 divided by 2. Would I go hungry? No way! I'm sure I can find items on those two menus and not have to eat the same thing twice. But it sure is a more boring option. And I would definitely miss the comraderie of having the same wait staff each night.

I don't believe for one minute that the decision to go to DD is anything other than a financial decision. And I get it.. RCCL is a business and the job of a business is to make as much money as they can.

Scenario 1 - The big wigs are in a meeting. "We need to find a way to make more money. People have stopped cruising because they don't like traditional dining. We are losing our long time cruisers to NCL because of FS dining. We are losing new cruisers to NCL because FS dining is so appealing. We've got to try it too"

Scenario 2 - The big wigs in a meeting. "We need to find a way to make more money. Specialty dining has lots of potential. If we find a way to discourage traditional dining and push more people into Specialty Dining, we are, in essence, double dipping. Cruisers pay for their meal in their cruise fare and then pay again in Specialty Dining"

I know one thing.. I don't want a hot dog or a slice of pizza on the run for dinner. I don't want to serve myself, I don't want to dress up every night and I can't afford to book a suite. I am a lowly platinum so that leaves two options for dinner. Same menu x 7 divided by 2. Would I go hungry? No way! I'm sure I can find items on those two menus and not have to eat the same thing twice. But it sure is a more boring option. And I would definitely miss the comraderie of having the same wait staff each night.

I think each kitchen for the DD restaurants preparing the same thing night after night will streamline food ordering and reduce costs also.

In order for Scenario 2 to play out, there would have to be a big increase in the specialty dining. Just a few more going specialty would not provide the revenue to pay for the costs of shifting to Dynamic Dining. Since Scenario 2 requires a lot of new specialty customers, where is the seating to handle all these new customers? It looks like all the existing MDR seating is going to the new complimentary restaurants.

There is no need to spin conspiracy theories when it is obvious that traditional dining is discouraging itself.

I'm guessing it's #2.

I thought I was the only one who saw it this way. I don't all the angst. LOL!

The difference between traditional dining (set time) and DD is with traditional all you have to remember is what time you are having dinner. Your sea pass card will have your dining room deck and table number. With DD you have to bring a spreadsheet or calendar to remind yourself what you booked each night (date/time/location). I did one cruise on NCL on the Epic and prebooked dining and entertainment and felt that I almost needed a secretary to remind me of my schedule each day. :D

Let me see we will take scenario two,sure it is about forcing people into paying for diner.We will not cruise without traditional dining.:)

The difference between traditional dining (set time) and DD is with traditional all you have to remember is what time you are having dinner. Your sea pass card will have your dining room deck and table number. With DD you have to bring a spreadsheet or calendar to remind yourself what you booked each night (date/time/location). I did one cruise on NCL on the Epic and prebooked dining and entertainment and felt that I almost needed a secretary to remind me of my schedule each day. :D
That's one reason I like Traditional Dining. I have lots of scheduling pressure in regular life - would rather not have it on vacation. Edited by SherriZ366

I think its absolutely hilarious that some here think DD is a ploy from the big bad evil cruise line to get thousands of cruisers to book specialty dining only designed to handle hundreds. LOL

:rolleyes:

Edited by ryano

I think its absolutely hilarious that some here think DD is a ploy from the big bad evil cruise line to get thousands of cruisers to book specialty dining only designed to handle hundreds. LOL

This is a business decision. I agree there's no sinister motive behind this change.

Having said that, I want my traditional dining back. The social aspect of the dining experience is very important to us. The food part is not important at all.

I admit, I asked RCI to fix the traditional dining problem. Half empty late dining and 4 people that showed up for a table for 8 was the norm. Not in my wildest dreams did I expect they would get rid of it all together! We are doing walk-up, I'm not making any reservations.

Since the last time I posted on this I reviewed all of the menus in the various dining free MDR venues. I'm not a picky eater but I do like simple food. I'm down to American Icon and Grande. I just hope there is a steak and potato option at the other venues?

Although this is not my first preference, we are going to give it a try. The worst that can happen is we will meet even more passengers at dinner.

I agree, they could not force thousands of guests into the current set of specialty restaurants. The scenario I see is that one or more of the "free" restaurants becomes a pay restaurant. In other words, over time, they will say "We cannot maintain the quality <insert corporate BS here>, so we find we must now charge $10 for <Silk, Grande, etc.>".

Edited by clarea

I agree, they could not force thousands of guests into the current set of specialty restaurants. The scenario I see is that one or more of the "free" restaurants becomes a pay restaurant. In other words, over time, they will say "We cannot maintain the quality <insert corporate BS here>, so we find we must now charge $10 for <Silk, Grande, etc.>".

Or to borrow from the Character Breakfast theme: Due to the popularity of Silk and an ongoing issue with people making reservations and not attending we will be implementing a nominal fee of $10 for reservations during the peak times of 6pm to 9pm.

Or to borrow from the Character Breakfast theme: Due to the popularity of Silk and an ongoing issue with people making reservations and not attending we will be implementing a nominal fee of $10 for reservations during the peak times of 6pm to 9pm.

Good point, I hadn't thought about charging for peak times.

This is a business decision. I agree there's no sinister motive behind this change.

Having said that, I want my traditional dining back. The social aspect of the dining experience is very important to us. The food part is not important at all.

I admit, I asked RCI to fix the traditional dining problem. Half empty late dining and 4 people that showed up for a table for 8 was the norm. Not in my wildest dreams did I expect they would get rid of it all together! We are doing walk-up, I'm not making any reservations.

Since the last time I posted on this I reviewed all of the menus in the various dining free MDR venues. I'm not a picky eater but I do like simple food. I'm down to American Icon and Grande. I just hope there is a steak and potato option at the other venues?

Although this is not my first preference, we are going to give it a try. The worst that can happen is we will meet even more passengers at dinner.

I think it is really sad what they are doing to conform the Oasis to DD. Adding new cabins where restrooms used to be...UGH! That is just nasty!

Oasis was supposed to be unique when it came onto the market. Now it will be just a sad copy of Quantum.

It seems wherever there is space, new cabins will be placed. Are they in that much of a financial crisis to restort to taking away chapels, signature clubs, etc. and destroying the layout of the dining rooms to create DD? How are they accommodating the separate kitchens or perhaps using the same kitchen and diving it up as well?

The buffet will probably be the most visited dining venue.

To replace the donuts with hot dogs....what are they thinking???

With DD tips are prepaid as well. Seems more about the money that any customer preferences.

MARAPRINCE

Ok all this dining talk has me totally confused. My husband are sailing on Oasis of the Seas first time cruising on Royal. We booked with our Travel Agent and she told us we have what is called My Time dining what exactly is that?

My Time dining gives you the ability to dine at whatever time you want. You can make advance reservations or just show up whenever you want.

Edited by clarea

Ok all this dining talk has me totally confused. My husband are sailing on Oasis of the Seas first time cruising on Royal. We booked with our Travel Agent and she told us we have what is called My Time dining what exactly is that?

Important question; when is your cruise scheduled ?

Main Dining Room (MDR) and My Time Dining (MTD) are the standards for dining on board Oasis at the moment through March 2015 (most likely).

March 2015 is supposed to see the transition to Dynamic Dining (DD).

Under MDR/MTD there is one large dining room with one menu, the menu changes each night. As a My Time Dining customer you have the option of making reservations ahead of time for each night (whatever time you would like have dinner, assuming space is available). Alternatively you can just show up when you are hungry and be seated at the next table to become available.

Under DD there are multiple smaller venues each with its own discrete menu that does not change. As a Dynamic Dining customer you have the option of making reservations ahead of time for each night or just turning up when you are hungry at the restaurant of your choice and waiting for the next available table.

Dynamic Dining is not a prerequisite for such charges. This could easily read:

Or to borrow from the Character Breakfast theme: Due to the popularity of the Main Dining Room and an ongoing issue with people making reservations and not attending we will be implementing a nominal fee of $10 for reservations during the peak times of 6pm to 9pm.

Dynamic Dining is not a prerequisite for such charges. This could easily read:

Or to borrow from the Character Breakfast theme: Due to the popularity of the Main Dining Room and an ongoing issue with people making reservations and not attending we will be implementing a nominal fee of $10 for reservations during the peak times of 6pm to 9pm.

It could and since that would cover all passengers it would basically be a blanket price increase. :cool:

I wouldn't hesitate to book the Oasis/Allure if I had a party up to 8 people. But, I wonder how dynamic dining will work for larger parties? We are considering a "family cruise" of 12 persons (grandparents, siblings, grandkids) staying in 6 staterooms. The original plan would have been simply link the reservations and select traditional dining, with the understanding that there would be nights where couples might break off from the pack to opt for fee specialty restaurants. On the whole though, due to cost considerations, I suspect that the majority of people would have opted for the rotating menu in the main dining room.

With the advent of DD, now I am not so sure. I wonder about how the ship will logistically be able to handle getting everyone seated at the same table in one of the 3 main dining room venues each night. And, on top of that, because there will be 4 children under the age of 7, sitting down for dinner every night between 5:30-6:30 would be ideal. Any thoughts?

DYNAMIC DINING COMES TO OASIS CLASS IN MARCH 2015

Bold new culinary concepts, more choice and total flexibility, with no set dining times, assigned seating or required formal nights. Explore the options and let your appetite be the guide.

Three complimentary restaurants take the place of the main dining room: American Icon Grill; Silk, featuring an eclectic pan-Asian menu; and the Grande, serving refined classic cuisine

From whom did you here this?

I looked at the menus for the complimentary two full service restaurants (Grande will be formal so not interested except maybe one time) that will be on Oasis for Dynamic Dining and I did not care for either of those menus. Where are the soups that were always offered? Only noticed seafood ones. The appetizers we loved prior are no more. Both menus have a lot of seafood or pork or have egg which several people in our party do not eat. Not much choice for them. Also do not want to go back to the same two restaurants for 7 days, nor do we want to have to pay extra for the specialty ones. We also do not want to go to Sorrento's, the Cafe or any self serve places like the buffet for dinner. That's fine for breakfast or lunch but dinner we always loved in the main dining room. With only two full service restaurants not counting Grande which is formal and most people won't want to dress for formal it's going to be very hard to get a reservation at the complimentary DD restaurants unless the majority of passengers eat at the self serve or the specialty restaurants. Like mentioned before this new dynamic dining may be good for some people but for us the choices of both restaurants and items on the menu are not to our liking. We have an upcoming cruise on Allure again which will be still on the traditional dining this February so we will be keeping that cruise but our other cruise on Oasis again which will be with the new dynamic dining looks like we'll be canceling and going back to Celebrity.

Edited by SF