Problem with Dynamic Dining

bh9885

After being told for several months that reservations could not be made until 90 days before departure on the Quantum of the Seas on March 1st, my travel agent and I were told at least 3 times, my agent contacted RC again and found this to be wrong information. Now, it seems that all the preferred booking times are taken. Royal Caribbean really shot themselves in the foot with dynamic dining. When we go on a cruise we don't want to spend the day trying to figure out what time and which restaurant to dine in. This cruise will bring us to the Diamond level so we are not new to cruising Royal Caribbean. Bring back traditional dining or we're cruising with another cruise line.

After being told for several months that reservations could not be made until 90 days before departure on the Quantum of the Seas on March 1st, my travel agent and I were told at least 3 times, my agent contacted RC again and found this to be wrong information. Now, it seems that all the preferred booking times are taken. Royal Caribbean really shot themselves in the foot with dynamic dining. When we go on a cruise we don't want to spend the day trying to figure out what time and which restaurant to dine in. This cruise will bring us to the Diamond level so we are not new to cruising Royal Caribbean. Bring back traditional dining or we're cruising with another cruise line.

When you've experience Dynamic Dining, come back and tell us then. Don't shoot something until you've tried it.

If you want traditional dining just choose one restaurant and book the same time every night, same thing.

When you've experience Dynamic Dining, come back and tell us then. Don't shoot something until you've tried it.

If you want traditional dining just choose one restaurant and book the same time every night, same thing.

The only problem with that is you have the same menu every night

Aft Cabins Rule

Not quite so simple as menus remain the same so you'd have the same menu selections every night. For me, I like having the same table companions each night. I also like not having to plan months in advance when and where I'm going to eat. Also, suppose I do book all these different restaurants for the trip and discover on night two that I really enjoy that restaurant and want to go back only to find it booked for the rest of the trip. Don't think this concept will work for me.

I got the same message that I could not make the dining reservations, however, got a hold of C&A and was able to get the dining times that I was interested. It took some 1+ mos., but was eventually successful. I'm waiting 90 days for the entertainment to open up.

The only problem with that is you have the same menu every night

Aft Cabins Rule

But it's a much larger menu than in the MDR. Also, you can still order from items on other (free) venue menus. Remember, the food is all made in the same galley, so if you want something from another menu, just order it. No big deal.

Not quite so simple as menus remain the same so you'd have the same menu selections every night. For me, I like having the same table companions each night. I also like not having to plan months in advance when and where I'm going to eat. Also, suppose I do book all these different restaurants for the trip and discover on night two that I really enjoy that restaurant and want to go back only to find it booked for the rest of the trip. Don't think this concept will work for me.

Perhaps that concept won't work, but it doesn't describe the DD concept at all. You're thinking of a small MDR menu that never changes each night. DD actually has larger menus (basically the quivalent of 7 days worth of MDR menus). Also, you can order from any menu at any of the free venues. You describe a situation where some bouncer is going to turn you away from a restaurant, just because you've eaten there before. That's not how it works. That's not how any of this works.

But it's a much larger menu than in the MDR. Also, you can still order from items on other (free) venue menus. Remember, the food is all made in the same galley, so if you want something from another menu, just order it. No big deal.

With DD, you can not order food from any menu like you indicated. Each restaurant has their own menu you can order from. If you are eating at Chic, you can not order food from Silk in Chic, etc.

With DD, you can not order food from any menu like you indicated. Each restaurant has their own menu you can order from. If you are eating at Chic, you can not order food from Silk in Chic, etc.

This contradicts what was mentioned during the reveal. Do you know when this was changed?

Even with traditional dining, you already are planning "months in advance when and where to eat". It's called the Main Dining Room.

Suppose there is no Dynamic Dining. Then there won't be any different restaurants to book. You won't be in a restaurant you really like on night two. Won't really matter if it's booked or not because you can't go back to something that never existed.

We agree with you this so called dynamic dining will not work for us.We will not sail on a ship without traditional dining.:)

This contradicts what was mentioned during the reveal. Do you know when this was changed?

What was mentioned in the reveal was that each restaurant would have some additional selections that have not been posted that are similar to the always available selections on the current menu. There will be a fish, chicken, steak and pasta or something similar available at all restaurants.

This is to allow guests to dine together as a group in one restaurant and accommodate some of their group who may not enjoy that particular menu.

It was never suggested that you could order from any of the 4 different restaurant menus.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

I think DD is a "con" from RC . I am on the OAS June 2015 and have just read that MDR is moving to DD . Looking at other threads it seems I will have only 3 choices for complimentary dinning . I travelled before and liked the MDR with a different menu each night , formal dinning , same wait staff etc . I can not afford to pay for extra dinning , we travel from Australia so we have huge airfares and poor exchange rates . This is a major change / fault from RC . I am not interested in Windjamer for dinner . The three choices of restaurants have the same menu each night and little options beyond . I am a party of 5 and my children have different likes . In MDR we always found something for them . RC has got us again !!!

I think DD is a "con" from RC . I am on the OAS June 2015 and have just read that MDR is moving to DD . Looking at other threads it seems I will have only 3 choices for complimentary dinning . I travelled before and liked the MDR with a different menu each night , formal dinning , same wait staff etc . I can not afford to pay for extra dinning , we travel from Australia so we have huge airfares and poor exchange rates . This is a major change / fault from RC . I am not interested in Windjamer for dinner . The three choices of restaurants have the same menu each night and little options beyond . I am a party of 5 and my children have different likes . In MDR we always found something for them . RC has got us again !!!

So, just to clarify, your complaint is that you have 3 restaurants to chose from, instead of 1, and larger menus to select from? Got it.

I agree. This would have been our 10th cruise with royal caribbean but we are seriously thinking of canceling and never cruising with them again. Nothing but headaches with DD scheduling. What a shame, they were a good company.

Read this

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5969

You will have more than three options and they will all have different menus. The main dining room is being split into three restaurants, but I understood they were different restaurants with different menus.

So, just to clarify, your complaint is that you have 3 restaurants to chose from, instead of 1, and larger menus to select from? Got it.

Wrong. The menu selections on DD are less than the selections of the MDR menus and try and schedule the American Icon Grill anytime between 6:00

PM and 8:00 PM. on any of the 12 nights. Completely booked.

That is what he is complaining about, he is unable to book the time he wants because the times are all gone and only times he doesnt wants are left. he does not have to try the food to already know that it is impacting his trip. If you are used to eating at 6pm and the only time left is at 9pm you know its not good for your schedule, does this mean the food is bad - no, it means they dont have enough seats for the popular times. If i told you you could only eat breakfast at 4am im sure you would not be happy either. He is not the only person to have this issue. maybe by the time of his sailing a different time will open up