Problem with Dynamic Dining

bh9885

I'm joining this thread late. We are sailing Allure New Year's 2015, which is shifting over to DD. I honestly don't mind the idea as long as the booking process doesn't prove to be a pain. Question: At what point will I be able to book online? I will want to do that as early as possible since I anticipate my ship being full. Thanks!

When you say new years 2015 are you referring to the upcoming holiday or the one in 14 months. DD will not be the norm until next new years

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I mean 14 months from now. I just did some searching, and it looks like I might be able to book starting Jan 2015. Sounds like an interesting concept!

I've never been the hugest fan of formal MDR dining so I'm cool with being able to schedule my preferred time and have some variety from night to night. The downside is that once we have made a reservation or not made one we are stuck with it. No deciding last minute whether we are going to Windjammer because we want to eat in our swim suits, lol.

I'm joining this thread late. We are sailing Allure New Year's 2015, which is shifting over to DD. I honestly don't mind the idea as long as the booking process doesn't prove to be a pain. Question: At what point will I be able to book online? I will want to do that as early as possible since I anticipate my ship being full. Thanks!

They did announce that DD would be available to book starting January 1. Not sure if that was just for Oasis or for Allure as well. My guess is that it did include Allure as she will be getting DD shortly after Oasis.

If it is anything like booking DD on Quantum class you should be able to book a long way out. I booked my DD for my Dec 2015 Anthem cruise last July.

I mean 14 months from now. I just did some searching, and it looks like I might be able to book starting Jan 2015. Sounds like an interesting concept!

I've never been the hugest fan of formal MDR dining so I'm cool with being able to schedule my preferred time and have some variety from night to night. The downside is that once we have made a reservation or not made one we are stuck with it. No deciding last minute whether we are going to Windjammer because we want to eat in our swim suits, lol.

As long as it's not a fee restaurant, just don't show up and head to WJ. As a courtesy I suppose you could notify the venue to free up your time for a walk up

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I signed up for D.Dining a long time ago. Just what is it? I have been on 4 cruises before. I don't think any one is going to starve. And get it cleared up the first day on the cruise. Whatever you decide to change. Not a big deal.

We ate in the M.D. every night. I am a picky eater. So I only ordered

steak every night. I got tired of it and just asked for a hamburger. They got it for me and a plain salad. Neither one was on the menu. The couple with us did the same thing.

Believe me RC people bend over backwards to please us all. And there is always room for you to eat any where on their ships. So call free or not.

I signed up for D.Dining a long time ago. Just what is it?

It's basically NCL's Freestyle dining. 3 (Oasis class) or 4 (Quantum) complimentary sit down restaurants, the Windjammer buffet (still free) and a bunch of specialty dining venues that you pay for.

Of the complimentary, one, Grand, is formal every night so if you don't like to dress up you are down one free venue.

We booked allure as soon as it went on sale back in february 2014 and haven't had anything from rci about any changes. we like the formal nights and have always preferred the same wait staff in mdr - used mtd once but we hadn't built a relationship up with them so wasn't the same. Do we have to presume now that there won't be any formal nights or there will be but in certain restaurants. My husband never wears suits apart from on cruises and we love the chance to dress up - always picked rci for this rather then other lines that are more casual

What if you booked a ship thinking it has Traditional Dining and RCI imposes DD on your cruise? There are lots of rumors that FR will have DD after its 1-2015 drydock. We have 4 FR cruises booked after that. We will give it a try or 2 (it will probably have to be one restaurant for our party of 4 to re-create Traditional for 2 opting for the Always Available and one with a special menu request). But if we don't like it, we will book on RCI ships that do not have it.

DD defenders -- please don't flame me -- we really like Traditional dining.

So do we and we are booked on the allure - looking at these threads dd is on allure - we booked traditional too

What if you booked a ship thinking it has Traditional Dining and RCI imposes DD on your cruise? There are lots of rumors that FR will have DD after its 1-2015 drydock. We have 4 FR cruises booked after that. We will give it a try or 2 (it will probably have to be one restaurant for our party of 4 to re-create Traditional for 2 opting for the Always Available and one with a special menu request). But if we don't like it, we will book on RCI ships that do not have it.

DD defenders -- please don't flame me -- we really like Traditional dining.

Formal wear isn't required in the MDR on formal nights, so many would simply not dress formally on formal nights. Formal wear IS required in Grande EVERY night.

So say if we still wanted our two formal nights? Would we eat in the grande for those two nights and assume that everyone else in there is going to be dressed in formal? We love the opportunity of dressing up in tux for my husband and long for me on both nights or cocktail on other. Will other suits be classed as formal?

So say if we still wanted our two formal nights? Would we eat in the grande for those two nights and assume that everyone else in there is going to be dressed in formal? We love the opportunity of dressing up in tux for my husband and long for me on both nights or cocktail on other. Will other suits be classed as formal?

That is precisely my family's plan when when we sail on Dec. 12th! 2 nights in Grande with my 4yo son and I in a tux and my wife and 8yo daughter in ball gowns!

When you've experience Dynamic Dining, come back and tell us then. Don't shoot something until you've tried it.

If you want traditional dining just choose one restaurant and book the same time every night, same thing.

Over and over I'm seeing this ridiculous misstatement.

No one has said they dislike DD, although many have said they hate the reservation process. I, like others have said, we love the social aspect of traditional dining. Just because I prefer traditional MDR does not mean I hate DD. There are many things in life I know I would prefer not to do without actually giving them a shot.

Even if you could book the same restaurant and dining time every night, I've seen absolutely no guarantees you would have the same size table, waiters, or table-mates. Then there is the problem of the repetitive menu. Would someone please post a link to the FACT that the menus will change mid-week? Everyone quotes RCI Q&A saying just order something else.

We have made no reservations and are going full Dynamic. Everything in life, and especially in travel, is a trade-off. DD comes with the Quantum. We are anticipating the rest of the experience will make up for the loss of traditional dining.

I truly hope that everyone enjoys their future cruises.

Hey , I am looking forward to DD , it offers a difference each night with unique food , BUT , even with mid week menu change , it leaves looking at the specialty restaurants at least one or two nights . Windjammer is great , but really , not for these great once in a life time trips . RCI knows this is a money winner for them , they need to be told that no matter how it is "dressed up" we need to be given options that does not include more costs .

Hey , I am looking forward to DD , it offers a difference each night with unique food , BUT , even with mid week menu change , it leaves looking at the specialty restaurants at least one or two nights . Windjammer is great , but really , not for these great once in a life time trips . RCI knows this is a money winner for them , they need to be told that no matter how it is "dressed up" we need to be given options that does not include more costs .

But there are more options that don't include costs, because there is more complimentary restaurants. There is more food choice across a 7 day cruise then there has ever been onboard a RCI ship before.

When you've experience Dynamic Dining, come back and tell us then. Don't shoot something until you've tried it.

If you want traditional dining just choose one restaurant and book the same time every night, same thing.

It's not only the fact that we have little interest in the structure of deciding restaurants and times months ahead, we would miss the overall experience of dining in the Main Dining Room.

Only once have we had anything but absolutely charming dinner companions....we changed tables and problem solved. We always ask for the largest table and second seating. Our tables have included couples from all over, interesting conversation we look forward to every night. We cannot wait to get there and hear what they have done that day. Conversation improves each day as we get to know them.

BIG enough to abandon Royal if this becomes fleet wide....and we were MARRIED on our beloved Radiance.

But there are more options that don't include costs, because there is more complimentary restaurants. There is more food choice across a 7 day cruise then there has ever been onboard a RCI ship before.

How do you figure this? The MDR is replaced by the complimentary DD restaurants, which from what I saw on the RCI site seat about 450 each. There are only 3 complimentary on Oasis class so that's only about 1300 seats on a 6,000+ ship? And one of them (Grande) is formal every night so for folks like me that don't particulary want to dress up formal that's down to two venues and 800 seats for those two ships.

And Windjammer is not an acceptable alternative to the MDR. It does not have the same level of service or ambiance.

So no, there are not more complimentary restaurants and choices on DD, there are less.

And, BTW, a peeked in at NCL's description of Freestyle, and in the complimentary MDRs they have rotating menus.

And, BTW, a peeked in at NCL's description of Freestyle, and in the complimentary MDRs they have rotating menus.

Exactly, Freestyle is more like MTD, but not DD. NCL still has MDR´s though differently decorate and sized, they still offer the same same menue which rotates on a daily Basis.

It would have been nice for RCI to add more Dining venues at extra or no extra cost, while still maintaining an - albeit smaller - venue as a traditional MDR for those who like this aspect about cruising.

I don´t say those who like it shouldn´t be happy about the Change, but all of those have to accept that there are People not happy about the Change. It has nothing to do with not even having tried it. It has nothing to do with how smooth all of this will work or not. I don´t like the whole concept of this and it´s not the way I want to spend my vacation time.

Everybody has to do what is best for them and I will say that the Dining concept will influence my decision when booking a cruise. I didn´t like NCL´s Freestyle and after one cruise with them I have yet to be back, but I don´t say never again. There might be a time when one of the DD ships will offer the perfect itinerary at a perfect time and perfect Price and I might be able to cope with a crappy (to me) Dining concept. But I will always look at other Options with a more appealing concept first.

To all the DD Lovers, I´m happy to leave more room for you. Enjoy DD to it´s fullest. Life will go on, just don´t tell me how I have to like it. I don´t.

Exactly, Freestyle is more like MTD, but not DD. NCL still has MDR´s though differently decorate and sized, they still offer the same same menue which rotates on a daily Basis.

It would have been nice for RCI to add more Dining venues at extra or no extra cost, while still maintaining an - albeit smaller - venue as a traditional MDR for those who like this aspect about cruising.

I don´t say those who like it shouldn´t be happy about the Change, but all of those have to accept that there are People not happy about the Change. It has nothing to do with not even having tried it. It has nothing to do with how smooth all of this will work or not. I don´t like the whole concept of this and it´s not the way I want to spend my vacation time.

Everybody has to do what is best for them and I will say that the Dining concept will influence my decision when booking a cruise. I didn´t like NCL´s Freestyle and after one cruise with them I have yet to be back, but I don´t say never again. There might be a time when one of the DD ships will offer the perfect itinerary at a perfect time and perfect Price and I might be able to cope with a crappy (to me) Dining concept. But I will always look at other Options with a more appealing concept first.

To all the DD Lovers, I´m happy to leave more room for you. Enjoy DD to it´s fullest. Life will go on, just don´t tell me how I have to like it. I don´t.

Well said. I'm sick of taking incoming just because we really love traditional dining.

Totally agree with you both. We also prefer traditional dining and do not care for the DD concept. Haven't decided if we are keeping our booking yet but not because of the DD may try it but we may change if gratutities have to be pre paid at final payment. We like using our shipboard credit for that and having it added to our account daily. Personally I think people are forgetting that these boards are to express views and opinions even if they differ, however, some feel they need to change others views or express why they are wrong to feel that way. Why can't we all agree to disagree and just share our preferences and not attack others who feel differently.

Edited by SF

Totally agree with you both. We also prefer traditional dining and do not care for the DD concept. Haven't decided if we are keeping our booking yet but not because of the DD may try it but we may change if gratutities have to be pre paid at final payment. We like using our shipboard credit for that and having it added to our account daily. Personally I think people are forgetting that these boards are to express views and opinions even if they differ, however, some feel they need to change others views or express why they are wrong to feel that way. Why can't we all agree to disagree and just share our preferences and not attack others who feel differently or say try it first.

I agree about your comment about this Board's purpose!!

After being told for several months that reservations could not be made until 90 days before departure on the Quantum of the Seas on March 1st, my travel agent and I were told at least 3 times, my agent contacted RC again and found this to be wrong information. Now, it seems that all the preferred booking times are taken. Royal Caribbean really shot themselves in the foot with dynamic dining. When we go on a cruise we don't want to spend the day trying to figure out what time and which restaurant to dine in. This cruise will bring us to the Diamond level so we are not new to cruising Royal Caribbean. Bring back traditional dining or we're cruising with another cruise line.

Haha,really?Bon voyage then....

Well said. I'm sick of taking incoming just because we really love traditional dining. We can't express this preference according to some DD proponents unless we have tried DD.

Well it does make sense to try something before you condemn it right?Change is good.If you dont change you get left behind.Everything changes,you either try it or you take a stand and get left behind anyways.Your choice.

Well it does make sense to try something before you condemn it right?Change is good.If you dont change you get left behind.Everything changes,you either try it or you take a stand and get left behind anyways.Your choice.
You just proved my point -- taking incoming!!