Carnival stock fell like a rock!

cmptrwiz

Here are some facts:

CCL: 35.67 Down 2.00(5.31%)

RCL: 58.17 Down 3.87(6.24%)

Why anyone would want to buy a cruise line stock is beyond me...unless you take at least three 7-day cruises a year. Then yeah, 100 shares and no more.

Why anyone would want to buy a cruise line stock is beyond me...unless you take at least three 7-day cruises a year. Then yeah, 100 shares and no more.

Not sure what the break point on number of cruises is, but true.

That's what makes this thread hilarious - the price is largely irrelevant.

Here are some facts:

CCL: 35.67 Down 2.00(5.31%)

RCL: 58.17 Down 3.87(6.24%)

Last time I checked $58.17 was still higher than $35.67. More than 60% higher.

That's a fact also. But, apparently, price doesn't matter.

Edited by cruzfitter

That is exactly why we own 100 shares purchased in 2009 at a price of 18.

If a 58 dollar stock and a 35 dollar stock are paying the same dividends, wouldn't the 35 dollar stock be paying almost two times the percentage the other is paying ???

If you really want to add to the confusion, compare the debt/equity ratio of the two companies !!!!

Edited by swedish weave

Doesn't really matter to me. I unloaded both my CCL and RCL stocks a month ago. I did keep 100 shares of each for Investor Benefit. The stocks are being used to put new siding, soffits, and facia on the house. I'm tired of painting and want a more modern look.

I'm glad I sold when I did or I would have needed to kick in more money to complete the job. :)

Take care,

Mike

and time frame, expected roi,...

I don't think the time frame would matter and I have no idea what "ROI" is. But what I consider the break even point to be is when you have received enough OBC from owning the stock to pay the cost of what you spent on it. The more you paid for the stock, the longer (number of cruises) it takes to break even. Any interest or increase in stock value is just bonus.

Last time I checked $58.17 was still higher than $35.67. More than 60% higher.

That's a fact also. But, apparently, price doesn't matter.

Actually for this type of calculation it doesn't matter. More to the point is the market cap. that would be the 21.1B for CCL vs.12.9B for RCL. So once you realize there are more than twice as many outstanding shares of CCL compared to RCL the CCL shares are valued higher comparably per share

If a 58 dollar stock and a 35 dollar stock are paying the same dividends, wouldn't the 35 dollar stock be paying almost two times the percentage the other is paying ???

If you really want to add to the confusion, compare the debt/equity ratio of the two companies !!!!

Your yield (what you call percentage) is based upon what YOU paid for the stock.

For example, I bought MA back at $54. The yield was 5%. The price of the stock goes up to $72. Assuming they have not changed the dividend, the yield is now 3.75%..and that is what the financial numbers will show. But since I bought at $54, I am still yielding 5% on my original investment.

If looking for preservation of capital, cash (or equivalents) is king!

Except for that pesky 2-3% loss due to inflation. Like I said there are plenty of things out there that are for folks who need less risky money that actually make a return. Go consult an Advisor if you don't know what they are. But they are there.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Edited by goduckies05

If looking for preservation of capital, cash (or equivalents) is king!

If you took a weeks pay 30 years ago and stashed it away as cash you couldn't even fill your car with gas today. Not "preserving" much capital with that tactic.

Your yield (what you call percentage) is based upon what YOU paid for the stock.

For example, I bought MA back at $54. The yield was 5%. The price of the stock goes up to $72. Assuming they have not changed the dividend, the yield is now 3.75%..and that is what the financial numbers will show. But since I bought at $54, I am still yielding 5% on my original investment.

Except for that pesky inflation.

I was referring to the percentage if a person bought both stocks at todays prices and if both paid the same dividends. History would not be invoved in figuring the percentage.

In this case, CCL stock returns a much higher dividend percentage than RCCL.