Carnival stock fell like a rock!

cmptrwiz

I haven't done a deep analysis, but withthe DOW down 200+points today, I imagine many stocks fell a significant amount. While I'm sure there is some travel scare, many seemed leery of poor 3rd Quarter earnings reports according to the articles I have sneaked peeks at.

Think it might have something to do with the smoking ban on balconies? That goes into effect 10/9...tomorrow...except for current cruises, then it goes into effect the first sailing after.

Not even close. RCL got hit about the same %. Ridiculous to peg it to Smoking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not even close. RCL got hit about the same %. Ridiculous to peg it to Smoking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wasn't trying to start a heated debate, I was just wondering if that may have had something to do with stocks falling. I just got on CC this afternoon and don't monitor daily stock prices. I saw this post and answered what I thought may be a possible reason.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

I stand corrected. I won't attach the link since I don't know if that is within the rules or not, but it is a popular "report". The headline is something along the lines of (don't want to directly quote it, again, not sure of the rules with direct headline quotes)...Cruise stocks falling due to Ebola and forcing lines to skip ports. In my earlier post, it was just a guess with the dates and all. Fire suit is on, just in case.

Carnival stock fell $2.16 today after hitting a 52 week high a few days ago at the end of September. What is going on? Ebola scare?

All of the major market indices were down today. The DJIA was down almost 300 points. Seems the market has jitters over a potential European recession and the global economy.

That's what markets do though. They go up and they go down. People invest. People take profits. If you are in for the long haul, no worries.

I haven't done a deep analysis, but withthe DOW down 200+points today, I imagine many stocks fell a significant amount. While I'm sure there is some travel scare, many seemed leery of poor 3rd Quarter earnings reports according to the articles I have sneaked peeks at.

It is mostly earnings IMO...and any guidance they may have offered for next quarter..I have not looked into the numbers. I say that because Carnival was down over 5% today. My beloved Apple stock which was near an all time high was down less than 1% today. And all my other stocks were down less than 2%..which is inline with the 1.6% drop in the DOW.

A great example of why you have to be diversified when you own individual stocks. And should do your homework BEFORE and AFTER buying them.

Nothing to do with smoking or Uncle Micky or even Carnival Cruise Lines.

Yep, because of ebola and Seabourn rerouting a ship or two.

RCL dropped like a bad transmission and they don't even stop in Africa.

Astute Carnival stock owners should have seen this coming when the guy was diagnosed in Dallas, and reacted according to their investing discipline.

Astute Carnival stock owners should have seen this coming when the guy was diagnosed in Dallas, and reacted according to their investing discipline.

Most of us did and knew to keep calm when the knee jerk reaction occurred,

Carnival earnings easily beat the consensus and the forecast is looking up with Caribbean occupancy and rates up, fuel savings, up, it's all good.

Most of us did and knew to keep calm when the knee jerk reaction occurred,

Carnival earnings easily beat the consensus and the forecast is looking up with Caribbean occupancy and rates up, fuel savings, up, it's all good.

Holding steady is one reaction.

Selling on the initial news and buying back in today would have been another.

Or just buying more today if you really believe in the stock.

Point is, an investor should decide when they buy the stock what their strategy is when a stock does this, so there is no emotional decisions/reactions are made when the time comes. The OP was concerned enough to start this thread.

Edited by Badfinger

Nothing to do with smoking or Uncle Micky or even Carnival Cruise Lines.

Yep, because of ebola and Seabourn rerouting a ship or two.

RCL dropped like a bad transmission and they don't even stop in Africa.

Just thought I would point out a couple of things. First, RCL ended up losing less percentage wise than CCL. Second, Pullmamtur, a division of RCL does in fact stop in Africa.

BTW, exactly what do you have permission for?

Edited by cruzfitter
Additional comment

Just thought I would point out a couple of things. First, RCL ended up losing less percentage wise than CCL. Second, Pullmamtur, a division of RCL does in fact stop in Africa.

BTW, exactly what do you have permission for?

Royal was off $3.87 (5.87%)

CCL was off $2.16 (5.47%)

Apparently Royal doesn't know they own Pullmantur because their comment was they don't port in Africa.

I have permission.

Royal was off $3.87 (5.87%)

CCL was off $2.16 (5.47%)

Apparently Royal doesn't know they own Pullmantur because their comment was they don't port in Africa.

I have permission.

You forgot after hours trading. RCL $3.46 (5.24%).

Pullmantur doesn't have any ships docking there in October, so RCL doesn't have to make any changes yet.

I didn't forget it, I don't consider it. The CCL sell off was an overreaction.

As was the RCL sell off, but you had to bring RCL into the thread.

And you don't consider after hour trading only because it doesn't support your numbers.