So what's the deal with booking next cruise on board?

We'll be sailing in Nov and want to maybe book for June while on the cruise but not sure which sailing yet. Do we have to know the exact cruise we want to book? Or is there a certificate we get? What do we have to pay while on board? Anyone done this recently?

We'll be sailing in Nov and want to maybe book for June while on the cruise but not sure which sailing yet. Do we have to know the exact cruise we want to book? Or is there a certificate we get? What do we have to pay while on board? Anyone done this recently?

Here are the onboard booking options:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/NextCruise/14037219_Onboard_NextCruise_Flyer_2015.pdf

Note that the second page describes the open (non-specific) booking.

Edited by clarea

Ahh I see thank you... so it's $100pp and would get $25 credit for 5-7 night cruise. Thought it would be more than $25... not much of an incentive for booking really..

They decimated the OBC for open booking late last year.

They decimated the OBC for open booking late last year.

We always booked an open ended future cruise each time we were onboard, but when they made that change we stopped doing it. With all the "sales" they've been having lately, booking onboard is not very attractive.

We always booked an open ended future cruise each time we were onboard, but when they made that change we stopped doing it. With all the "sales" they've been having lately, booking onboard is not very attractive.

With all the "sales" they have been having lately, booking ANY way is not very attractive.

Edited by clarea

You can always get more OBC by booking through an agent. I've never understood why anyone would bother to book while onboard, since the onboard agents give you almost no discount at all.

So I have the same question as the OP. What's the deal?

You can always get more OBC by booking through an agent. I've never understood why anyone would bother to book while onboard, since the onboard agents give you almost no discount at all.

A lot of people are attracted to the fact that you only have to give up 100.00 for deposit instead of 500.00. Once the second passenger is added its just an additional 100.00 and no further money due until final payment date. Plus they never expire.

Also, not everyone uses a TA :) I certainly dont. I have not had the luck most people have had finding that "prized" TA. Two local TAs said they could offer me nothing to transfer my booking to them and three different online agencies offered 50.00 but had a 100.00 cancellation fee. This is all based on a +/- 1500.00 cruise.

But I wont be booking onboard again either. 25.00 OBC is a joke

Edited by ryano

Same here, we just got off the Allure and was going to book onboard like we always do but when I learned about the $25 OBC if I don't have a sail date or ship. No thanks.

RCI, if you are reading this you are doing yourself a dis-service as you would've gotten my future booking deposit. I'm going to book when I see any good deals. Kinda disappointed.

Same here, we just got off the Allure and was going to book onboard like we always do but when I learned about the $25 OBC if I don't have a sail date or ship. No thanks.

RCI, if you are reading this you are doing yourself a dis-service as you would've gotten my future booking deposit. I'm going to book when I see any good deals. Kinda disappointed.

Same here. Thanks but no thanks. 😡

One thing to note. If the cruise you are on was booked through a TA, the one you book onboard will automatically transfer(at least in my case) to your TA and the correct amount of OBC from that TA should apply. Mine did. This was before the change and for a known date so the discount was better. So if you know your cruise book on board, get that discount, transfer to your TA and take their OBC.

Your onboard booking can go to the agent you use ... Meaning you can get OBC from Royal and the agent.

OK, I don't understand. You get a $25 OBC and a reduced deposit. Certainly not the best deal in the world, but still something. And you can choose your cruise date later. And you can still transfer to a TA if you use one. I really do not see the downside. Especially when all you have to do is fill out the form and drop it in the box.

Great rates are available when you book onboard as far in advance as possible. If Crown and Anchor discounts are offered later, agent can apply those as well. Less deposit, early incentives (BOGOHO) to me equals great value. Plus you get great room selection! Check out the floor plans find your real estate!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Firstly we are from the UK and things may be different here than in the USA.

Here is my experience trying to use a future cruise voucher.

In booked a decide later future cruise on a previous cruise paying 75 USD.

Back in February this year I rang my TA and got a price for a cruise when I mentioned the future cruise voucher she said it could notbe used as the price they had quoted included other offers including 100 USD on board credit. I then called RCI and the price they quoted using the future cruise voucher was the equivalent of more than 200 USD more than the TA.

I recently did the same exercise for a cruise next year and the TA price without the future cruise voucher and RCI price with the voucher was exactly the same with the same on board credit . Also I still had to pay the balance of the deposit of GBP 150 per person.

I can see no advantage in spending USD75 upfront as there does not appear to be any benefit.

In my experience here in the UK you get abetter deal from a good TA, as they will usually split their commission , rather than the cruise company.

Linda

Based on what I've read about people trying to do late changes and upgrades, the OBC TA give seem to be about a very specific booking. So many seem to not be able to change cabins after last payment or they give up the credits/have other issues.

If you book a specific cruise and specific category- booking on board does give you some good credits. So that's what we plan on doing now.

Open Future cruise bookings- probably no more of them. Unless we start running out of options.

The deals used to be pretty good. You used to be able to get a booking for $100 deposit (much less than a regular deposit), and this included up to $200 OBC. Plus you got 2 other certificates for friends family so up to $600 combined value total which is not bad. In the past, you were able to combine these with stockholder credit or other discounts which was a nice incentive to put down a deposit on your next vacation. You didn't have to select a specific cruise, or wait in line to talk to an on board representative. It was quick and easy.

Now, you get a token OBC, with no friends/family certificates and no ability to combine offers. If you want the most OBC, you need to book a specific cruise (meaning waiting in line or having to make an appt), which cannot be change later. Not much reason to book a NextCruise on board anymore.

Besides a reduced deposit for booking a JS cabin or lower, Here is the new OBC structure when booking on board:

Effective March 15, 2014, the new OBC amounts when creating an Open Booking on board (formerly known as a NextCruise booking). OBC is per cabin.

Length of Cruise

5-7 days ........... $25

8-10 days ......... $50

11-14 days........ $75

15 + days...........$100

Effective March 15, 2014, the new OBC amounts when booking a Next Cruise on board (formerly known as a Future Cruise booking).OBC is per cabin.

Length of

Cruise ............... Interior.............. Oceanview.............. Balcony .............. Suite*

5-7 days .............. $25 ..................... $50 ...................... $100 ................. $200

8-10 days ............ $50..................... $100...................... $150.................. $250

11-14 days........... $75 .................... $150 .................... $200...................$300

15 + days ........... $100.................... $200...................... $250...................$400

*Includes JS cabins and above

Ever since they changed the OBC for open passage, I have stopped buying them and have since jumped to NCL and Princess (for the next 8-10 cruises). When I have a deposit with Royal, I am inclined to book a cruise with them. Since I don't have the open passage, I am open to choose another cruise line. Great job RCCL, you just sent your customers to your competitors...:eek:

How do you purchase a NCC and not have it linked to your TA? You inform the Loyalty person when making the purchase that you do not want the NCC linked to your TA.

If NCC is linked to TA can you still book your next cruise on RC website using the NCC? No, only your TA can book with the NCC in that case.

Answers in RED.