Grandeur Observatory?

Does anyone know if this is a true observatory with telescopes? Or is it just a glass room for viewing? :confused: If It's just a glass room, how well can you see the stars compaired to other parts of the ship?

This is the description on the deck plans - deck ten

"Observatory - this special stargazing area gives quests the opportunity to explore the heavens as well as the seas"

space facinates me :D

thanks!

My FIL brings his own telescope on cruises and loves pointing things out to fellow cruisers. He gets pretty popular!

A real observatory with telescopes would be really cool. I'd be willing to bet that there are astronomy-themed cruises for people like my FIL, but it would still be nice for us novices to be able to stargaze. :)

My FIL brings his own telescope on cruises and loves pointing things out to fellow cruisers. He gets pretty popular!

A real observatory with telescopes would be really cool. I'd be willing to bet that there are astronomy-themed cruises for people like my FIL, but it would still be nice for us novices to be able to stargaze. :)

While a telescope would be great to have, I'm not sure an astronomical telescope has ever been done at sea before. The technical challenges are a pretty big hurdle.

These scopes must be motorized to exactly match the rotation of the Earth at a particular latitude. Add to that, the constantly changing latitude of the ship, as well as the constant pitch, roll, and yaw. Plus there are vibrations that would have to be dampened.

It would be possible, but it's not like buying a scope at a hobby store and putting it out there. It would be more like adding a Flowrider in terms of cost and complexity.

I think it's actually a pretty good idea, if it can be done. With the really dark night sky away from all cities, you could really make out some interesting night sky features.

Does anyone know if this is a true observatory with telescopes? Or is it just a glass room for viewing? :confused: If It's just a glass room, how well can you see the stars compaired to other parts of the ship?

This is the description on the deck plans - deck ten

"Observatory - this special stargazing area gives quests the opportunity to explore the heavens as well as the seas"

space facinates me :D

thanks!

not a room, at all.. it is an open area( with lounge chairs) up a set of stairs and has limited lighting. no telescopes or anything,

The best thing to use, besides naked eye, is a good set of wide field binoculars. The motion of the ship, even slight motion, would make anything but the widest field telescope views unmanageable. I would think that anything less than a one degree field, two lunar diameters, would make viewing difficult. If a telescope is used, it should be on an alt-azimuth mount that allows free movement in all directions.

While the Grandeur has a location called the Observatory, the truly best places to observe are on those ships that have helipads on the bow that are accessible by passengers. There is normally no lighting there so as to not impair the view from the bridge.

At sea, there is so much humidity, don't expect a clear sky....at night, clouds tend to form, obstructing your stellar view!

Sometimes, but not always. There are plenty of nights with amazing views of the universe!

Sometimes, but not always. There are plenty of nights with amazing views of the universe!

How dare you contradict this board's leading expert on just about everything. If she says that clouds will obstruct the view who are we to question it?:rolleyes:

I think it's actually a pretty good idea, if it can be done. With the really dark night sky away from all cities, you could really make out some interesting night sky features.

It is pretty hard to find a real dark location on a cruise ship. Between all the cabins on the sides lit up and all the lights on the upper decks, the dimmer stars are pretty much washed out. There is a big difference in 'darkness' between any location on a cruise ship and a location away from the nearest town/houses in the country.

Yes, and just get a GUIDE BOOK for the stars.:D

I actually have an App on my phone called Skyview that will show me the stars/planets/satelites/constellations basically anything in space. It's pretty cool, even works inside buildings and "through the earth"

Not sure if it would work without wifi though to find my location.