Transatlantic as 1st cruise

Hi

I am looking for some advice, I have been on a number of cruises mostly from Southampton with P&O. My partner is a Virgin cruiser and he loves the look of RCI ships because of all of the activities. We have found a transatlantic cruise on Brilliance of the Seas for May but I am concerned that 7 days at sea could be too much?

Can those people that have done this type of cruise advise what happens on the days at sea? I mean activities etc if the weather is not great in the middle of the Atlantic.

Thanks in advance

Sorry if I am rambling, new to forums x

Hi, we have done 3 transatlantics and will be doing the Oasis TA next week which has only 1 port stop in 12 days. There are always lots of activities on seadays, various classes, lectures on some ships, join the roll call for the cruise and there are usually organised activities through them. Brilliance is also a great ship as she has an enclosed solarium should you not have great weather one day.

We've really enjoyed the enrichment lectures that have been offered on the transatlantic cruises we've been on. We don't see these on typical Caribbean cruises. The Cruise Compass (daily schedule) will list these activities.

In addition to checking the daily planner for different activities offered, be prepared for those sea days. Load up your tablet/e-reader with some books/magazines, etc. Also, after you book your cruise, sign up with your roll call here on cruise critic and meet your fellow cruisers on your sailing. Very often there are group organized activities and social events that you might want to join in. TA's are such a unique kind of cruise because of the long string of sea days.

Not sure a TA is the best choice for a first cruise. We have met several people on our various TAs who, while cruising for the first time, discovered they did not like cruising. One woman in particular was very vocal about how she was going to be the first one off the ship, her husband said he was going to be paying for this cruise for a long time as it had been his idea!:D If possible, maybe try a short cruise first? Just something to think about.

Sherri:)

Edited by sjb317

I agree it helps to bring things with you and to have the correct mind set before you leave home. We loved both of the cruises--but, for different reason.

Is it a northern or southern TA? We have had 2 TAs so far. One last fall from Barcelona to FFL. The other last month from Harwich, England to Boston.

The TA from Harwich was a cool weather cruise. We were only able to sit on the pool deck the last day before we arrived in Boston. That took away one of my favorite activities. On this cruise we loved the ports--but, were not fond of the weather. On the TA from Barcelona we sent lots of time on the sea days at the pool, walking the outdoor track and on the putt putt links. The weather got better each day. It was so relaxing.

We were Emerald C & a during the first and Diamond for the last one. This made a big difference in our experience. On the first cruise we felt very isolated. Our tablemates were great. We had one of the best experiences we ever had. But, they were D and D+ and spent lots of time in the various lounges. They came to dinner with stories and news from home [various people had been on email and the Internet ] I purchased a small Internet package--but, in 13 days that does not go very far].

This last cruise we were Diamond. We went to the D lounge most nights. The social interaction was very good. [it was pretty crowded, of course]

I signed up for several of the Roll Call activities.

I am not naturally a crafty person. However, on the first TA I attended all of the classes on card making. This last one I attended the jewelry/scrapbook classes. I am still not crafty. :p:o:D I met several women I sat with at each class and had a good social time. DH took naps.

The daily planner will be full of things to do, but the big difference in my mind is that you would have to be content with small activities and being able to keep yourself entertained. I played trivia, read books, played cards ... days went pretty quickly. However I could understand it being hell for someone who has to keep moving.

Hi Soldiers-girl,

I am taking my first RCI cruise next October. It is a TA as well. After much thought, I figured after 15 nights sailing with a line, I should know if RCI and or a TA suits me.

As much as I enjoy the company of others, I can also enjoy alone time and self directed activites. In addition, crossing an ocean is on my bucket list. Seemed like a good fit for me. In time, I shall see.

In your case, as it is your first cruise, you are more daring than I. Good for you though! I hope you have a wonderful journey!

I would NOT recommend a TA cruise for a first cruise! it's something you have to build up.

Last year on my Serenade TA there was this girl sitting at my table, and after 2 days she said she does not think, she will be able to be 7 days on a ship. To make a long story short, minutes before setting sail for the Bahamas they opened the door and she left the ship.