Late May or Early September

joan72761

Just wondering as I pick a date for our cruise if we will have a better chance of seeing wildlife or ice calving (I think it is called this) on one part of the cruise season over another. I would love to see whales, bears, elk etc., and I'm willing to pick my date based upon my opportunities. Thanks for your input. :)

Are you doing a one-way cruise with DIY land travel, or a RT cruise?

If you're doing a RT cruise, and plan on a bear-viewing excursion, you need to do a little research; various locations have peak periods of time, some require permits and fill up quickly, and some locations are only black bears if that makes a difference. ie Anan requires permits and the peak period starts around July 4 and goes into August. Look at trip reports from JozieRhodes or Mollanjake to see their photos from anan ( trip reports are in the STICKYs above).

If you're doing DIY land travel, Aug/Sept is better for bear viewing since the bears are very active during salmon runs. Having a car gets you to fish hatcheries and other popular viewing spots in late afternoon early evening to watch the bears at rivers and lakes. There are no salmon runs in early May so your bear viewing would be limited to a chance sighting of black bears grazing on dandelions/grasses.

Ice calving can occur any time. It's a natural activity so dependent on the glacier's movement.

Edited by mapleleaves
diy

whales are seen in both time frames. Bears, another story- early Sept tours are available, but no tours in May- "possible" if you get lucky driving the Klondike Highway.

The biggest issue is where are you going to be? If you are doing both a cruise and mainland touring- then it would be imperative that you do a northbound cruise end of May and into Denali Park June 1 or later to Eielson. Adding in a Kenai Fjords boat tour out of Seward as well. Both locations are wildlife jackpots. I have never seen any elk in Alaska, Moose and Caribou are much more common. but not mainland Alaska, not inside passage where the cruise ships go.

For both your priorities wildlife and calving.It instead comes down to having a LOT of exposure, which means consider extra tours and select your itinerary carefully. For glaciers a one way cruise then a boat tour of Prince William sound has good amount of glacier possibilities.

With out throwing in wild life, I will always choose late May over September.

I have seen a ton of whales at the end of May. I have always seen bears in May but not at predictable times and has noted, there are not bear watching excursions. For example, I have seen bears while going into the Yukon out of Skagway, on AdventureBound boat excursions in Juneau, on a boat ride to Misty Fiords out of Ketchikan, while hiking in Seward......

Ice calving is hit or miss. I have been pretty lucky on most of my Glacier Bay cruises. I did not have much luck at Hubbard glacier (though many do).

Edited by Coral

Another thing to think about is that if you do late May, you are closer to the longest day of the year. In September, you are 2+ months past the longest day.

Check out the sunrise /sunset times for the places you will visit on the dates you will be there.

DON